Married To Headman's Daughter

geordiel

I just don't know if this is a troll or not, he joined in 2007.

No worries.....just been listing to your embed of Palmy.......maybe a Cd for the headman would do the trick!!!

Edited by 473geo

I just don't know if this is a troll or not, he joined in 2007.

The only troll in this topic for sure is you. If you have nothing intelligent to answer I suggest you go elsewhere.

I've deleted some nonsense posts by you and one reply.

OK, I have a very serious question

Over the past few years I hear some posters talking about villages, village weddings, headmen etc.

My own experience with what I would call a village is when I stayed with Akha and Karen when taking a study abroad course and had to write a paper on my time with them.

Muubaan seems to very loose term, ranging from an area with a few sois to the nicest Land and House development.

You probably don't want a run down shack as face is everything. I would look at things like sinsot requested, if any, as a gauge for what is generally expected of you. Then you can make up your mind as to if it's acceptable to you.

Are there actually Village Headmen? This is a genuine question.

I was going to say it the bigger something else would be the concern....

Roughly the equal to a mayor of a small village in rural areas.

Like I said, the only time I have ever seen or met a headman was in hill tribe villages.

I am not 100% certain, but I think there are village funds available/distributed, the money is subsequently allocated, loaned to the villagers, or used for village purposes, this village money would be controlled by the headman.........so you will appreciate he has to be honest and will be highly respected among the community.

There will be others that can explain more I am sure.......

Edit-: yes cdnvic, that is how I would see it too.

Edited by 473geo

Yes, we've just got a new one in our village, nice young fellow, in his thirties. Here are some of his jobs / duties :

Helps out with renewing ID cards. (One of the previous headmen sorted out my wife's ID card for her, which expired while she was living in the UK, when she came back to the village, he gave her the card).

Injecting dogs in the village with anti rabies vaccine, and issuing tags for the dogs' collars, showing they've been injected, and are rabies free. Plus, of course keeping records of this, probably in triplicate! :D

Taking large snakes, such as the python that was in our garden at Christmas, and releasing them back into the wild. (I kid you not!!)

Organising work groups to clean the village side roads, keep the grass borders of the roads cut down, organise meetings for the folks in the village, make tannoy announcements of upcoming events, helping the old folks claim there pensions.

I'm sure there are much many more jobs that he does I'm unaware of, but all in all, certainly in our village, they are hard working, and do a great service for the local community.

:)

Village headman?!

Maybe you could take his photograph with your box browning. Then show him the picture and tell him you have his soul. Then take his daughter and all his brightly coloured beads too. Or, alternatively you could agree to join his tribe by letting him suspend you by your nipples in his best teepee for a while.

Village headman?!

Maybe you could take his photograph with your box browning. Then show him the picture and tell him you have his soul. Then take his daughter and all his brightly coloured beads too. Or, alternatively you could agree to join his tribe by letting him suspend you by your nipples in his best teepee for a while.

I think you've posted in the wrong topic here Rich, the "my secret sexual fantasies" topic is, I believe, in the Pattaya section. Thanks.

:D:D

village headman: yes... does the same stuff the guy that a small town governor/mayor would do: sorts out divorce/marriages (the non official side and/or the official side); used to be probably one of the more literate people in town/village so would keep a record of births/deaths/land and still keeps records of land as u need the 'puu yai baan' to help with chanote and other land ownership questions; the first one i met in anon's village was a bigwig type- we had to drag him around with us on a tour of korat that finished with a not so cheap bottle of lao, an invit to our wedding with pics with him featured prominently, and us receiving rather large necklace/bracelet amulets from a local wat (larger donation, larger amulet bracelets)-- he ws also the ex of one of my sis inlaws. not a bad guy but nto super straight either.

the new guy is young, computer savvy, with small kids, seems rather nice , also helped out with some chanote thing (we have yet to finish ); not sure if he is on the take but favours for favours in any small town in any country seem to be in order...when i met him he was doing some govt survey for literacy by going shack to shack and interviewing everyone about their reading/writing levels in korat thai/central thai

its always nice to be 'close to the plate' (as we say in hebrew, about being friends with the kibbutz 'puu yai baan' who functions exactly like the thai version)...

bina

israel

A "village headman" is basically the same thing as a Mayor. From Wiki:

A kamnan (Thai: กำนัน) is a Thai governing official at the tambon (subdistrict) level. It is usually translated as "subdistrict headman".

The position of a kamnan was introduced with the thesaphiban administrative reforms at the end of the 19th century, first enacted in 1892. On of the village elders of the muban. The kamnan was chosen or elected among the village elders (phu yai ban) of the villages within the tambon. It was originally a lifetime post. Their main task was to implement the policies from the higher administrative levels, and being the main point of contact for the people in their area.

Being a very centralized state, it took till the 1990s to have the local administration given more focus. With the Tambon Council and Tambon Administrative Authority Act BE 2537 (1994)[1] and later the 1997 constitution the Tambon Administrative Organizations (TAO) were created as new local administrative units. During a grace period the Kamnan were member of the TAO. Also the lifetime term was changed to a five year term.

As for a muban or mubaan, there are the traditional small villages, but the term is also used for urban housing developments. Again, from Wiki:

Muban (Thai: หมู่บ้าน) is the lowest administrative subdivision of Thailand. Usually translated as village, they are the subdivision of tambon. As of 2008, there are 74944 administrative villages in Thailand[1]. As of the 1990 census, the average village consisted of 144 households or 746 persons.

A muban does not necessarily cover exactly one settlement. Larger settlements can be split into several muban, while very small settlements can be put together into a single muban.

In village names, muban is commonly abbreviated to ban (Thai: บ้าน).

[edit] Administration

The village is led by a village headman (Thai: Phu Yai Ban, ผู้ใหญ่บ้าน), who is elected by the population of the village and then appointed by the Ministry of the Interior. The headman has two assistants, one for Government affairs and one for Security Affairs. There also may be a Village Committee with elected members from the village, serving as an advisory body of a village. Originally the village headman once elected was in office until reaching retirement age. They now only serve for a five year term but can then apply for reelection.

Villages which are part of a town or city (thesaban mueang and thesaban nakhon) have no village headman.

Nope ... not married yet but the idea enters my head more and more frequently so best be prepared. Nope ... if/when married do not intend buying house for a while and then only of the modest village type. The father seems to be quite an important guy in the area and Im just trying to suss out the best way to do things.

As a 'rich' farang, of course you'll be expected to buy a bigger, better house to save the families face.

You will also be expected to provide something similar for the parents. Why else would they want a farang son-in-law?

Having said that, you could be the unusual case who's met their wife outside of Pattaya/Phuket etc. (and certainly not in a bar!), in which case the circumstances are different.

As a 'rich' farang, of course you'll be expected to buy a bigger, better house to save the families face.

You will also be expected to provide something similar for the parents. Why else would they want a farang son-in-law?

Having said that, you could be the unusual case who's met their wife outside of Pattaya/Phuket etc. (and certainly not in a bar!), in which case the circumstances are different.

From my experience here, I think it does not matter where the man meets the lady. The "average girl" has the same "expectations", when a Farang is the spouse/sponsor. This is not a trait only held by bar-girls. Some exceptions to women other than from Issan and those of a higher social status/income family, if one (Farang) is fortunate enough to have any relationship with such a woman.

I would think just the opposite. More likely, as an "important" local person he may offer something quite nice to his daughter and her intended.

Just to point out that there are headwomen also...it is not specific to the males,i have had experience with heads of the village before in different parts of the kingdom,all i will say is better on your side than not,they can be very helpful in certain situations.

As for you and being involved with a daughter it is no different from any other girl in the village if you stick to your own principals and beliefs.

Never go overboard with anything unless you have the funds to follow everything else that you will be asked for through.

The best advice i would give anyone on visiting or thinking of staying in a village for a while is make a point of not giving money for anything unless deep down you feel really comfortable about it,let the Thai people of that village form there own opinions of you...i have done it several ways before and found without a doubt the best way to gain real respect is to live as they do....keep your money in your pocket and do not be flash.

As for building a bigger house and all that is associated with it,it depends on your situation and also on what your lady thinks is important,Not her father! remember if her father is "boss" this does not mean you have to spend a certain amount of money to make him happy.

Great expectations and all that!....where did you meet your girlfriend?

I have done the house thing twice now once for a bar-girl my first time ...big mistake!!

but i learnt from it all be it expensive.

the second time with an educated professional lady,she did not have the same lust for my money nor did her family.

Good luck and take it as slow as a you can,give yourself much time to understand the lady and her devotion to you and not only your money. :)