Uk Settlement Visa - Applying Early

Hi. I have read that when you apply for a settlement Visa you can apply for a later date, as long as it is within 3 months. I am trying to avoid the new visa costs that come in on April 6th, and also I want to get the Visa sorted out as quickly as possible so I know where I stand, and I can make the necessary arrangements. The thing is, I will not be returning till at least mid-July, early August. My question is: If I was to apply for my visa at the beginning of April and then put the date of July 1st (3 months later), do I have to go on this exact date, or can I enter the UK a few weeks / a month later? Therefore in total I would be entering the UK 4 months after the date I originally gave the paperwork in, but only a month from the requested date on the visa itself.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks, if anyone can help.

One cannot enter the UK before the start date of the visa, but can enter any time after this date and before the expiry date.

So yes, you can do as you plan.

I would suggest that you not only ask for the visa to be post dated on the application form, but also in the covering letter. When you first receive it, check the dates immediately; mistakes cannot be rectified later and if less than 24 months have elapsed since the first UK entry and the visa expiring then you will not be time qualified for ILR and will have to pay for an expensive extension.