Red Shirts Blood Campaign Is Dangerous : Health Groups

george

TRUE BLOOD?

Blood campaign is dangerous : health groups

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Nursing and Midwifery Council is threatening to punish nurses who agree to collect blood from red-shirt protesters for the plan to pour blood around Government House today.

"We will consider punishing them on a case-by-case basis," council president Prof Vijit Sriruphan said yesterday. "They should know that collecting blood is only done for research or medical purposes."

But she said the council would not go as far as cutting nurses' professional licences.

Vijit expressed concern over the mass blood collection at at the rally site, saying that it could put demonstrators at risk because some medical devices could be contaminated.

She spoke after Dr Weng Tojirakarn, a leader of the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD), said he would mobilise 500 medical workers, including doctors and nurses, to draw blood from red-shirt demonstrators.

The blood campaign is a move aimed at pressuring Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve the House of Representatives.

But many health authorities expressed serious concern as soon as the idea was unveiled.

Medical Council secretary general Dr Samphan Komrit said it was highly unlikely the reds would be able to mobilise 500 medical workers for the protest today. He said taking blood from people could be dangerous if it wasn't done by trained medical workers.

Deputy director of the Thai Red Cross Society's National Blood Centre, Commander Dr Ubonwan Jarunreungrit, said a blood puncture could cause paralysis if the needle was put in the wrong position.

"Or if the puncture is made on an artery, people will lose a lot of blood and they may suffer shock," she warned.

Thai Red Cross Aids Research Centre director Dr Praphan Panuphak disagreed with the red shirts' blood campaign. If protesters did not have adequate sleep, they would be exhausted after having blood drawn out, he said.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit warned protesters not to use the same needle to draw out blood as they would be at risk from infectious diseases such as HIV/Aids and hepatitis.

He also said red shirts should avoid giving blood in sunlight as that could put them at risk of suffering a stroke.

Samphan, of the Medical Council, also disagreed with the red shirts' blood campaign. "I can't say that this is an abuse of the code of medical conduct or not, but it would be the first [such] case in history," he said.

Samphan said the council would discuss the issue at its next meeting if somebody filed a complaint about the move.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't make up my mind regarding which is the most idiotic - the original idea or the reaction to it.

It is safe to assume that the Shinawatra family will be sending a generous donation from somewhere that isn't in Germany, UK, USA etc etc. About 8 pints each should be enough.

I can't make up my mind regarding which is the most idiotic - the original idea or the reaction to it.

It is safe to assume that the Shinawatra family will be sending a generous donation from somewhere that isn't in Germany, UK, USA etc etc. About 8 pints each should be enough.

Naaaaah they are sending free drinks....

"Here! Somchai! The boss said we should be sure to look good for the conference in BKK, so we've got the nice new red shirts out, right?"

"Right!"

"And now we're here, the accomodation's crap and the food's.............well, iffy, right?"

"Right!"

"And we've left the wife and kids back home for who knows how long, right?"

"Right!"

"And now the boss wants blood!"

"Yeah!"

"Sounds just like that farang describing his job in the UK!" :)

Naaaaah they are sending free drinks....

Can't wait to see the new Reuters Headlines...."THAILAND SPILLS THE BLOOD OF TENS OF THOUSANDS, INNOCENT, PEACEFUL DEMOSTRATORS" :)

Can someone please explain to me how this act of

spilling blood would make the government suddenly

change their minds and dissolve itself and call new

elections?

Who ever thought of this as plan B really needs their

head examined.

Well it wouldn't be the first time the Thaksin lot have spilled blood, would it?

Let them go ahead and do it, it will show the country (and the international press) that they are just animals and lose them a lot of sympathy

Can any red shirt apologist explain to us how this bloodletting will advance the cause of democracy even one tiny bit? Seriously, the movement itself has some valid points, but this is hardly the way to gain any credibility or sympathy,

Well it wouldn't be the first time the Thaksin lot have spilled blood, would it?

Let them go ahead and do it, it will show the country (and the international press) that they are just animals and lose them a lot of sympathy

Agreed. Its only a matter of time until they show what they are really made of.

I would agree that is an abuse of the code of medical conduct to draw blood for non medical or research reasons. Dumb I am sure that some symbolic substitute is available if they really feel a show is necessary, but I personally have never found lettering or defacing others property a meaningful statement.

Drama is a part of street actions and they are not the first group in the world with a dim wit idea and I am also pretty sure they won't be the last.

I would agree that is an abuse of the code of medical conduct to draw blood for non medical or research reasons. Dumb I am sure that some symbolic substitute is available if they really feel a show is necessary, but I personally have never found lettering or defacing others property a meaningful statement.

Drama is a part of street actions and they are not the first group in the world with a dim wit idea and I am also pretty sure they won't be the last.

Agree, nothing is going to change by splashing blood around, except to take the already low credibility of the thaksin / red shirt mob down a few more notches.

Also interesting to note:

- There has been no reaction from the paymaster - does that mean he agrees with this idea? Surely if he has any concern for the personal safety and health of his red shirt mob then he would have already put a stop to this crazy idea.

- The red shirts never seem to learn that many Thais from all walks of life agree that change is needed, more equitable spread of wealth, more equitable education and opportunites for all Thais, etc., etc. Yelling, spreading hatred etc., is never going to achieve these goals. They never seem to understand that logical structured discussion might get a few ears.

Edited by scorecard

This 11-year-old boy from Bangkok was one of the first people to donate 10cc of blood in response to the call by UDD leaders.

post-327-1268703497_thumb.jpg post-327-1268703509_thumb.jpg

post-327-1268703521_thumb.jpg post-327-1268703532_thumb.jpg

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2010-03-16

Now they are sucking blood out of children. :) Disgusting, how low will these people stoop?

Agree, nothing is going to change by splashing blood around, except to take the already low credibility of the thaksin / red shirt mob down a few more notches.

Also interesting to note:

- There has been no reaction from the paymaster - does that mean he agrees with this idea? Surely if he has any concern for the personal safety and health of his red shirt mob then he would have already put a stop to this crazy idea.

- The red shirts never seem to learn that logical structured discussion might get a few ears.

This plan didn't come overnight, with everything prepared, donated and all.

The paymaster knew this already.

This 11-year-old boy from Bangkok was one of the first people to donate 10cc of blood in response to the call by UDD leaders.

thaivisa-news.png

Now they are sucking blood out of children. :) Disgusting, how low will these people stoop?

Agree.

thaivisa-news.png

A much deserved <deleted>!?!? I thought you had to be above a certain age before blood banks (ones with legitimate, benifical purpose) permitted you to give blood?

Dangerous nonsense such as this highlights how primitive the leaders are. Shame on that doctor in the photos for getting involved.

Edited by Insight