Is Giving My Girlfriend 20,000 Baht Per Month Enough?

Puriku

You live with her. If she needs extra she can ask you for it, surely? If it's because the kids need new school uniforms you can help out, if it's for her brother to drink more lao kao you can say no. Easy.

Of course if she's already given the brother the money for lao kao and now needs to buy uniforms you'll have to do something a bit different.

Personally I would say don't give an allowance as such, give money as and when needed for specific things, as any amount of cash will always find a use.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't get why some foreigners pay for trash to follow them home.

Why trash?

I don't get why people like you calling woman who just get sometimes more financial security with a foreigner than with a Thai man TRASH.

But that telling enough about yourself.

Here we go again,the Bangkok nutters are out again

I think you should just share all your income and assets. Letting her manage the money makes that even easier. Just ask her for an allowance for whatever you think you need.
Give the guy a break yes there are plenty of stories (horror) to be read on TV.

He posted the question is 20,00THB enough? (IMO) The simple answer is YES.

She lives with you so I imagine you pay all bills and probably a bulk of the food eaten in your shared accommodation? She also needs a life so ho wmuch is she spending on herself? does she out on an evening, do you both go out together on an evening? Does she buy you things?

Dont just tell her to p*ss off just becasue people on here say that she is fleecing you, ask her to detail why she needs extra money? did she say how much she wants?

There may be a genuine reason (maybe)

PMSL at the first quoted post, agree with the second.

I don't get why some foreigners pay for trash to follow them home.

Why trash?

I don't get why people like you calling woman who just get sometimes more financial security with a foreigner than with a Thai man TRASH.

But that telling enough about yourself.

Perhaps it because women looking for money rather than love are known by a certain name....

Be honest, those frequenting farang bars are looking for one thing only - and it ain't love.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Be honest, those frequenting farang bars are looking for one thing only - and it ain't love.

We always find things in the last place we look.

We often find things when we're not looking for them.

SC

I worked with a high salary of 240000 per month. This is ~mid class in Thailand.

Thais usually need a university degree for this level of salary

240,000 isn't mid class it is the top end salary for Thai people.

yes I think he means 24,000. which would not be a high salary but correct for a middle class family income.

Probably - 240,000 would be double the PM's salary and allowances, after all!

When I first got here and met a Thai woman, I soon found myself being nudged towards a "gift". Sort of shocked, I nonetheless let go of Tbaht 12,000. Things went a little bit further and I was hit up the next month for Tbaht 20,000. Gave in both times. When the next month came around and there was a request for Tbaht 30,000 I bailed out. Down about $1000 American, but it was an immediate lesson well learned.

When I first got here and met a Thai woman, I soon found myself being nudged towards a "gift". Sort of shocked, I nonetheless let go of Tbaht 12,000. Things went a little bit further and I was hit up the next month for Tbaht 20,000. Gave in both times. When the next month came around and there was a request for Tbaht 30,000 I bailed out. Down about $1000 American, but it was an immediate lesson well learned.

Its the same with my new one she has everything, 2 houses Own New Car, own bike, she is only 28, but when you ask her, how did you got all this, she just tells me a different story every time, but forgets what she told me the last time. It very funny actually. she couldnt lie straight in bed but then again nither could I.

I just love Thai Woman and love to move on as well.

:D:)

20k enough? It depends where the money's going and what it's paying for. You need to answer that question yourself cause know one here knows, as we don't know those details. Can you afford to pay more, and will paying more improve your life? If the answer is yes and the extra money is for the two of you to enjoy together, then do it. But instead of you giving her the money you agree to the increase in allowance and hold on to it and spend it when needed on quality time. As far as responsibilties go, if she needs more money for her responsibilities, such as her kids, mum or what ever, thats her problem and not yours. You can help her in other ways as suggested, set up a business in your name she runs it, share the profits, if done well, this will save you money in the long run, so if your thinking long term this is a very good option. Where's the father, does he contribute? If not he should be, if he does contribute good.... she should ask him for more because those kids are his, and in Thai culture the kids are the retirment plan, ie you GF gives her mum a 5k pension right? And she cAN work for money if she needs it, part time full time, for a boss, for herself, for you or what ever it's up to her. You are obviously a good man with a kind heart, which is something to be proud of, but use your head and not the one between your legs. Good luck. :)

20k enough? It depends where the money's going and what it's paying for. You need to answer that question yourself cause know one here knows, as we don't know those details. Can you afford to pay more, and will paying more improve your life? If the answer is yes and the extra money is for the two of you to enjoy together, then do it. But instead of you giving her the money you agree to the increase in allowance and hold on to it and spend it when needed on quality time. As far as responsibilties go, if she needs more money for her responsibilities, such as her kids, mum or what ever, thats her problem and not yours. You can help her in other ways as suggested, set up a business in your name she runs it, share the profits, if done well, this will save you money in the long run, so if your thinking long term this is a very good option. Where's the father, does he contribute? If not he should be, if he does contribute good.... she should ask him for more because those kids are his, and in Thai culture the kids are the retirment plan, ie you GF gives her mum a 5k pension right? And she cAN work for money if she needs it, part time full time, for a boss, for herself, for you or what ever it's up to her. You are obviously a good man with a kind heart, which is something to be proud of, but use your head and not the one between your legs. Good luck. :)

My Thai wife just read your post and got quite upset. She say 20K is too much and says are tooo generous and you should wake up. And you shoulkd buys pigs, good profits$$$

My Thai wife just read your post and got quite upset. She say 20K is too much and says are tooo generous and you should wake up. And you shoulkd buys pigs, good profits$$$

Keep pigs in Bangkok? I'm sure that the neighbours would love that :D

Most people that I know who keep pigs make little or no profit. Those that do manage to do reasonably well work hard and know what they are doing.

I'm sure that your wife probably thinks that the OP is extremely stupid to hand over such a large allowance ( bet she wishes that you were so stupid) :)

my friend in the uk was sacked from his job, he is now on 64 quid a week , she is away back to thailand as soon as he was sacked, she still demands 100 quid per month off him. let that be a lessonto you all as it is to me, some guys just cant see past it sadly

dmax why has your friend not claimed pension credits see here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandret...dit/DG_10018692 i did a quick check and he could have claimed pension credits from 2006. there is a age calculator on that linked page.

Your are giving her about 20 US dollars or 14 UK pounds per day.

Can you live on that?

Too right, Garry. That equates to about 500 Euros; I couldn't get a live-in girl friend for that figure where I live.

Can you live on that?

Too right, Garry. That equates to about 500 Euros; I couldn't get a live-in girl friend for that figure where I live.

We don't live in US, UK nor Germany. If you do, don't bother to comment about the amount of money.

She has told me that no salon will hire her for less than six days a week at 15 hours a day. She has told me that no one will hire her part time. So she stays home all day and complains she is bored.
Just a thought, if cash is a problem why doesn't she work part time, seems she can double your money. What does she do now not working. If you buggered off she would be back working.

Do NOT let your lady control you (cash) even if she is your dream come true. :)

Hi OP, here's the big secret no one talks about. Go to her village in Issan and live happily ever after on 3000 baht per month for a 10 person family. I know 74 falongs personally who do this. Shhhhh though, quiet and you didnt hear it from me. Blame some other poster

Its the same with my new one she has everything, 2 houses Own New Car, own bike, she is only 28, but when you ask her, how did you got all this, she just tells me a different story every time, but forgets what she told me the last time. It very funny actually. she couldnt lie straight in bed but then again nither could I.

I just love Thai Woman and love to move on as well.

:D:)

Yes.you should :D

Cant believe what i,m reading here, Why would anyone give money to a gf who can work,

I rent the house pay all the bills ..run a car and motocyc all on less than 20k pm,

My gf earns around 10k per month (office job) and pays the grocerys..never asked for money.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Are you that ugly you have to pay for a gf to be with you ? Why cant a gf works ?

Mine works earns 20k + we share all costs.

As the lady said "Up to you " but before you hand over any cash take a good , long look in the mirror , should you have ATM stamped on your forehead , you are in for a rough ride every which way you turn . Money is to be spent and enjoyed , not squandered on useless endeavors .

Geez! I could buy buy any 'poor' Thai with the correct amount of cash. But will it be love or will it be otherwise?

Then again, I'm not too old & nor am I fat.

So, the 20 000 Baht seems to be connected to desirability. The less desirable you are, the more it will cost you. :)

Geez! I could buy buy any 'poor' Thai with the correct amount of cash. But will it be love or will it be otherwise?

Then again, I'm not too old & nor am I fat.

So, the 20 000 Baht seems to be connected to desirability. The less desirable you are, the more it will cost you. :D

I think you hit the nail on its head.

Still wonder why my gf isnt paying me :)

Can you live on that?

We don't live in US, UK nor Germany. If you do, don't bother to comment about the amount of money.

Why not? Most who stay there are pensioners drawing money from farangland or working in farangland earning farang money not everone is a parafin lamp living there getting by on a Thai wage.

Same goes with the comments of "Would you give a girl money back home?" certainly any Thai girls i have met in europe want support, if you want a farang girl thats a different story.

Why not? Most who stay there are pensioners drawing money from farangland or working in farangland earning farang money not everone is a parafin lamp living there getting by on a Thai wage.

Same goes with the comments of "Would you give a girl money back home?" certainly any Thai girls i have met in europe want support, if you want a farang girl thats a different story.

The whole reason for giving a girl money is when you can't get one without paying for it. And like other posters say the more undesirable you are the more you have to pay.

Sure i make nice money here and i still not pay for girls, actually i can get quite a lot of them without paying. It is just a bit harder but at least you know then that the emotions are real and not money motivated.

But for real would you pay a girl back home most Dutch would not.. and i know i am Dutch. Paying the living expenses when the other does not have a job then yes. Sure paying them a salary .. no.

How would the OP set up things at home, in farangland ? Girlfriend unemployed and unwilling / unable to get a job.

I suppose it depends on his own financial situation. There won't be much left for the girlfriend if he is on 65 punds / week.

If he is on 6.500 punds / month, then the girlfriend should be able to live a very comfortable life starting with having her own car.

If the OP makes 30.000 bath / per month then 20.000 seems to be too much. If he makes 300.000 / month then 20.000 is too little.

Edited by bow

1/ a thai hair dresser will not earn 30,000 baht,, 10,000 is much nearer the mark.

2/ Get a grip, To give someone 20,000, or 450 euros a month, exactly what planet are you on ?

the way things look, you are being taken for just another european sad &lt;deleted&gt;, and in the thais eyes have no sense of reality, and for sure things will only get worse

If you want to be constructive and help the girl ,offer to put ? thou a month into a business that you her and the family all can work together with.

but if you do make sure you get good legal advice.

if she objects, then, perhaps its time to re evaluate the relationship.

Edited by rijit