Irish 'masaman' Stew

damole

I have a friend who is looking for what he believes is the 'real' masaman curry in CM. Sometime in the past he ate chicken masaman in a restaurant called something like Liberand next to the Amora hotel on the moat. He prefers the masaman when it has been cooked over an extended period of time to achieve the correct texture and flavour. I as a vegetarian have no idea what he is talking about because I just like mine filled with lots of fresh veggies to compensate for the lack of intrinsic flavour in the tofu.

Thanks in advance for all and any suggestions.

Edited by damole

"Irish massaman"? Try the UN Irish Pub. To me their massaman curry tastes like a beef and potato stew with red curry and coconut milk. I don't know if that's classic massaman, but I like it.

Edited by heybruce

"Irish massaman"? Try the UN Irish Pub. To me their massaman curry tastes like a beef and potato stew with red curry and coconut milk. I don't know if that's classic massaman, but I like it.

Why not all try making your own, try this site for the recipe...

http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Masaman_Curry.htm

Edited by MB1

Ruen Mai restaurant on the outskirts of Krabi town used to make a massaman to die for. Maybe they still do?

Can't say I've had a really great massaman anywhere in CM.

Like Hang leh and Phanaeng curry, the massaman can be thick or watery depending on the restaurant. I also tend to prefer the less watery, more savoury versions.

Why not all try making your own, try this site for the recipe...

http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Masaman_Curry.htm

I agree. And it does keep for days ; probably best stored in the fridge. The "recipient" ( one who makes recipes :) ) forgot to list his onions though he does include them in his instructions. I would add red peppers and carrots, ginger and lots and lots of garlic, probably a whole bulb.

I think the best Masaman Curry Paste is "Blue Elephant-Royal Thai Cuisine -- comes in a Black and gold--lettered packet. I don't think Rimping do it I think its Carrefour.