Where Are The Air Apologists Today

cerbera

Its horrific out here near the night safari. I dont care what the PM, PMT, OTOP readings are. Its currently unfit for human habitation.

The tourists must be in awe of the Rose of the North.

Im frankly tired of anyone who doesnt see this as the most important factor in living here and doesnt do something about it.

please keep studying charts and graphs, but be a grown up and admit this is untenable.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowt we can do, considering Chaing Rai/Mae Sai is the direction it comes from, I would hazard a guess and say its coming from Burma.

On the bright side, excellent cover for the various armies forming for the coming war. I guess the Burmese have P.L.A sat imagery? maybe not.

I guess if the war is on this time next year, the air quality might be better here, what with the landmines in the forests, peasant too busy dodging bullets to slash and burn... etc. Lets hope no-one has Napalm.

Edited by whiterussian

Pretty bad day today. Most years have a couple days like this though, you'd expect that.

On the bright side, it keeps the afternoon high temperatures down.. :D It's only just warming up which I hope means the air is getting clearer.

I wonder if we are looking at the worst single day ever though. If I ignore some of the really old data (which looks iffy) then the worst day would have been 14 March 2007 when we hit 303.9 for the Chiang Mai station, and 382.7 for the Upparaj station.

No idea where 'the air apologists' are, be it now or ever? I know of some people who refuse to join in a forum-wide drama-queening contest come March every year and look at facts & data instead however good or bad the figures may be, but apologists for air? :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Pretty bad day today. Most years have a couple days like this though, you'd expect that.

On the bright side, it keeps the afternoon high temperatures down.. :D It's only just warming up which I hope means the air is getting clearer.

I wonder if we are looking at the worst single day ever though. If I ignore some of the really old data (which looks iffy) then the worst day would have been 14 March 2007 when we hit 303.9 for the Chiang Mai station, and 382.7 for the Upparaj station.

No idea where 'the air apologists' are, be it now or ever? I know of some people who refuse to join in a forum-wide drama-queening contest come March every year and look at facts & data instead however good or bad the figures may be, but apologists for air? :)

ok mr kwai bad air apologists

Ok that's it, I'm going to stop breathing until all of this blows over.

In abit o seriousness I see this as a religion v atheist, rep v demo. cons v lab

al gore v hate al gore.

I wonder just wonder how many pepola that say the air isnnae that bad believe in GOD.

cos that would take a massive leap of faith.

All I know is we are being hurt internally I dont care Im astrong as a kwai. But I worry for my progeny.

to the buffalo boy

look out your window. take an elongated finger nail on your pinky and scrape out the evidence. moo moo

pls ecxorcixe and xcuse the malaprops.

The airs getting to me

Edited by cerbera

Some of the burning must be coming from nearby as I actually smelled smoke today.

Nearby, like in Burma as I've had that smell all morning at my house in Hang Dong and at the university in CM. Pretty broad cover I would say. :) May have to dig out my eye drops.

rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow rain tomorrow ...........................

well im hoping if i repeat enough, it might come true :)

I'm 67, been here 7 years. No breathing problems. Walk and swim every day. This is the worst pollution I've ever seen. Dry throat and eyes. One km visibility.

Thanks, PB. I temporarily bailed out of CM last week (as did my neighbour to the US). Sure, parts of Europe and US have had a long and cold winter, but this morning I took a grateful dog for a walk through the woods and over fields in lovely spring sunshine and enjoyed deep lungfulls of clean, cool air. Suffolk, UK.

The only thing, in an otherwise crystal clear sky, was a sole USAF transport plane lumbering into the RAF/USAF base at Lakenheath.

Take care all.

Edited by piercefilmlid

I'm 67, been here 7 years. No breathing problems. Walk and swim every day. This is the worst pollution I've ever seen. Dry throat and eyes. One km visibility.

Year 8 for me, and yes, the worst I have seen it. But hardly surprising, I play golf around the various courses in the province and no matter which course I go to, or on the drives there and back, you can see many fires burning.

I think we have been very lucky recently that we have not had a major disaster resulting in loss of lives-yet!

I would be interested to hear comments from senior, long-term Chiang Mai residents as to whether this is a bad year or not for pollution.

UG?

Rgds

To be honest, I'm not sure because it hardly affects me. Visually, it doesn't look good today, but many people seem to think that is has not been that bad so far this year. However, yesterday was also really hazy.

Everyone that I have asked said that it was not uncomfortable as far as breathing - just ugly - but some Thai Visa posters would certainly differ. IMHO, The last few days have been the worst.

I know that some people on Thai Visa are bothered more than others, but maybe it depends on where you live and how healthy you are. For example, someone said that they had to use their headlights during the daytime to see through the mist, but I can see all the way to the mountains with no problem at all - but the mist does look dirty.

There is no doubt that at this time of year burning is a big problem, but it is coming from everywhere around us - including Burma and Laos - so what can be done about it? Unfortunately, it seems like pretty much nothing.

yesterday would hve been one of the worst days ive come across during my 5 and a bit years here, another was a few weeks back, but when i mentioned it with a few others we were poo pooed on....oh well

no point bickering now is there, or look at the charts to know that is terrible out there

I’ve been living here for nearly 28 years and the smoke haze is an annual occurrence at this time of the year, some years worse than others. If you want to live here you have to learn to accept it as a fact of life.

Most expats living here are running away from something or other in their home country, to my mind it’s just a matter of fathoming out which is the worst of the two evils!!

Looking out over the rice fields of Doi Saket i would have to say the fog.smog.haze, air pollution what ever one likes to call it, is the worst i have seen in the four years up here and i don't need any graphs or pollution stations to tell me other wise

Still i love these pollution threads they are at this time of year as thick as the fog its self :)

Looking out over the rice fields of Doi Saket i would have to say the fog.smog.haze, air pollution what ever one likes to call it, is the worst i have seen in the four years up here and i don't need any graphs or pollution stations to tell me other wise

Still i love these pollution threads they are at this time of year as thick as the fog its self :D

I to live in Doi Saket. This time last year IMHO it was worst, so bad that not only could I not see the temple from my house but also the 118 which is only half a klick from my house. Today no temple but can see 118. Last year I buggered out to Phuket for 2 weeks. This year I'm staying hear to keep an eye on the pollution threads protesters up from Bangkok. :)

I to live in Doi Saket. This time last year IMHO it was worst, so bad that not only could I not see the temple from my house but also the 118 which is only half a klick from my house.

2007 was worse. 2009 was not as good as 2008, but 2007 was possibly the worst year in recent history.