Where Is The Logic In 3bb's Pricing Model?

danfred

Here is the current pricing model for 3BB's Premier (international focus) DSL...

3BB (DSL)

Speed (Mbps) / Monthly Cost / per Mbps

-----------------------------------------------------

3 / 1098 / 363 THB

4 / 1990 / 497 THB

5 / 2500 / 500 THB

6 / 3400 / 567 THB

8 / 5200 / 650 THB

Now compare that pricing to these models from the US...

ATT (DSL)

3 / 35.00 / 11.67 USD

6 / 40.00 / 6.67 USD

12 / 45.00 / 3.75 USD

18 / 55.00 / 3.05 USD

24 / 65.00 / 2.71 USD

WARNER (CABLE)

2 / 35.00 / 17.50 USD

7 / 45.00 / 6.42 USD

15 / 55.00 / 3.66 USD

VERIZON (FIBER)

15 / 55.00 / 3.66 USD

25 / 70.00 / 2.80 USD

50 / 140.00 / 2.80 USD

Notice the significant savings per Mbps as you pay more? The fiber savings is less so... but hey it's fiber!

How's does 3BB expect to up sell their packages when they deliver less value as you pay more?

I was using their 8Mbps package for the past week but today had them install 3 separate DSL lines each at 3Mbps. I have them aggregated/balanced together at 9Mbps and I am saving 1930 baht per month vs. their 8Mbps package (plus I get 3 redundant routers/local loops!).

Also, it doesn't matter what package you buy from 3BB you will never get more than 1.5Mbps per connection/session internationally.

In the past month 3BB installed a new DSLAM within 1km of my house (that was a godsend as I was over 3km from the nearest DSLAM before that)... being less than 1km from the DSLAM provides ideal line conditions so I've conducted some download tests from the US using with a 100MB file...

Downloading a 100MB file with 3BB Premier @ 8Mbps

# FTP file parts (concurrent) / Download Time (minutes:seconds)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 / 11:34

2 / 06:22

3 / 04:26

4 / 03:16

5 / 02:46

6 / 02:20

7 / 02:10

8 / 02:00

9 / 01:56

Downloading a 100MB file with 3BB Premier @ 9Mbps (actually 3 separate aggregated/balanced DSL lines each @ 3Mbps)

# FTP file parts (concurrent) / Download Time (minutes:seconds)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 / 04:32

6 / 02:21

9 / 01:46

CONCLUSION... take advantage of 3BB's skewed pricing model and buy multiple slower connections instead of one over-priced faster connection. Remember, it doesn't matter what package you buy from 3BB you will never get more than 1.5Mbps per connection/session internationally.

Dan

How you going to bridge those multiple connections together properly?

Think you will find that the contention ratio changes significantly for faster ADSL take-up here than in the USA, so there's going to be far less people on the more expensive lines.

Sorry, I have to post these speed test results just for the record as I probably won't see speeds like this for a while. These tests were performed just before they (3BB) downgraded my first DSL line from 8Mbps down to 3Mbps. So, these test results are from combining 1 DSL connection @ 8Mbps and 2 new DSL connections each @ 3Mbps (all Premier packages)...

750440868.png750462820.png

and now I'm back down to 9Mbps (3 x 3Mbps) :) But I'm much happier than I was a week ago with a combined 3Mbps (one TOT DSL @ 1Mbps, one TTT DSL @ 1Mbps and one CAT-EVDO @ 1Mbps).

Dan

How you going to bridge those multiple connections together properly?

Think you will find that the contention ratio changes significantly for faster ADSL take-up here than in the USA, so there's going to be far less people on the more expensive lines.

I use a Peplink 30 (Peplink 30) to bridge the connections together (I bought it over 2 years ago due to frustration with Internet reliability in Thailand and the need for more than 1 connection for redundancy).

It's my understanding that all 3BB's Premier class plans have the same contention ratio (whatever that may be as I've never seen it advertised anywhere). From my experience this past week... starting with 5Mbps Premier, upgrading to 8Mbps Premier and then downgrading to 3Mbps Premier (and then buying into 3 of those)... you are only limited by the maximum bandwidth allocated to your particular circuit. I may not be a good case example as I live in a rural village just outside Roi Et (Issan) and most likely have the only Premier plan in my neighborhood... not to mention that the new DSLAM in my village is only a month old so probably has very little contention overall... only time will tell I guess... one year actually, when the contracts are up and it's time to evaluate a better solution.

Dan

Can you do the same as that peplink device with a Linux box as a router?

of course you can... what can't you do with Linux? to my knowledge the technology embedded within the Peplink hardware is also Linux-based.

Here is one of the software-based equivalents to the Peplink that I know of...

http://www.pfsense.com

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Multi_WAN_/_Load_Balancing

and what makes this software (pfSense) interesting is that you can aggregate/balance as many WAN connections as you want (limited only by the number of network adapters available).

Dan

The OP's question is flawed. You asked"where is the logic?" This is Thailand where logic hasn't been invented.

As an example, my friend commented on his workers' use of just the rear brake on a motorcycke, never using the front brake. He tried to explain why the front brake is motre powerful and effective. Their reply was "front brake is only for Falangs!"

Similarly, why do the shops display products that are out of stock but won't sell the display item?

Anyway, back on topic. I have a 3BB line and a TOT line. It never occurred to me to join the two lines together. Would this be possible? If so, how?

Gday Dan.

3 / 1098 / 363 THB

4 / 1990 / 497 THB

5 / 2500 / 500 THB

6 / 3400 / 567 THB

8 / 5200 / 650 THB

Do you have a link to these prices, as they are very different to the current prices quoted to me by the local 3BB office here on Phet Kasem?

Two tier pricing for "Bushies"? :D

From the current price list;

Premier "Premier plus to 3m".

Speed (Kbps): 3072/1024

Dynamic IP: 1090THB/ Month

Have I misunderstood something?

The Internet is a Black Art as far as I'm concerned. :D

cheers :)

Edited by GungaDin

Thanks for that info - pretty interesting point - instead of getting a single 9Mbps line, get 3x3 + save money.

Then again, it's not that simple - load balancing I'd expect to behave just like using multiple connections to download a file. So with the 9Mbps you should in theory get single line downloads @ 9Mbps. You'd get it to Bangkok, but of course that's totally useless except maybe for the occasional cached file. For example at TOT OS X software updates always download at full speed - either they're cached at the gateway, or Apple's distribution system has a server nearby (I think they still use Akamai).

For my purposes stability is way more important than speed, so the peplink with CAT CDMA is pretty cool. But I've lived with the much simpler solution of plugging in the CAT stick whenever the DSL goes down or gets useless, works well enough. A laptop with a huge battery (7 hours) + CAT CDMA, EDGE and DSL gives me an uptime of near 100% throughout service and also, importantly, power outages.

PS: The Peplink doesn't seem to have a USB port so I guess you need a separate cradle for the CAT CDMA stick.

Here's TOT's Internet Package cost for their ongoing promotion. The Power Fit Package cost a 100 Baht more per month since it provides a 1Mbps upload versus 512Kbps. When you go from 2MBps to 8Mbps (a four fold increase) the price only doubles. I know, I know, in the real world, a person probably won't get the advertised speed...especially for international speed and especially with TOT. But some folks will get close if they live in the right spot with a good phone/DSL connection.

Simple Fit Package......................Power Fit Package

Speed...Monthly Cost..................Speed...Monthly Cost

2 Mbps/512 Kbps..490 baht..........2 Mbps / 1 Mbps..590 baht.

4 Mbps/512 Kbps..590 baht...........4 Mbps / 1 Mbps..690 baht.

6 Mbps/512 Kbps..790 baht...........6 Mbps / 1 Mbps..890 baht.

8 Mbps/512 Kbps..1,000 baht.........8 Mbps / 1 Mbps..1,100 baht.

Also, it doesn't matter what package you buy from 3BB you will never get more than 1.5Mbps per connection/session internationally.

Where is that coming from can I ask? I have Maxnet 5Mb Premier line. (They're 3BB now right?) My line is upgraded to 6Mb and I can get about 3.5-4Mb download from US via a browser (max 2 concurrent connections). Just wondering where the 1.5Mb figure comes from?

For anyone looking for a balancer I can highly recommend the Peplinks - they are a dream to configure, and they're as close to plug-and-play as you'll get. Peplink also offer a nice entry model that includes one network port and a USB that supports Cat CDMA dongles. Their support were terrific in helping get the Cat CDMA settings as these weren't standard. About $295 direct from Peplink and I think the model number is W20 or something similar.