When Must The Next Election Be Called By?

davejonesbkk

I was just wondering when the current government must call and election by? Tbh I cant see them winning as the reds have the numbers like before when they all voted for Thaksin or Samak etc so if they get into government again then what?? Back to square one/??? Another coup?

End of 2011 I believe:

On 23 December 2007 national parliamentary election was held, based on the new constitution, and People Power Party (Thai Rak Thai's and Thaksin's proxy party), led by former Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej, began taking the reins of government. Thailand's new Parliament convened on January 21, 2008.

I'd say it's exceptionally unlikely that Thailand will have to wait that long, though. Not because of protests, but because Newin needs to start making a move.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

On the premise that the house goes to the full term, then elections are likely to be held on Sunday 19th February 2012, or 59 days after the house has completed its full term.

The term of office in Thailand is 4 years, and starts on the day of the election. At the end of the term, a Royal Decree comes into effect, dissolving the house, with an election date set between 45 - 60 days later.

The next elections will be held whenever the army thinks that the Dems have a chance of winning. As they won't want to have to have another coup and go through all the hassle of kicking out another 'peasant / rural horde' elected government.