Top Of The Gulf Regatta

mcyachty

Hi there,

At the end of April, Ocean Marina Yacht Club will host the annual Top of the Gulf Regatta. It is organised by OMYC Sailing, a group of sailors who sail mostly out of the marina. The regatta includes the top keel boats from around the world, sports boats, catamerans and kids sailing in the Optimist class. Last year the regatta attracted just under 200 boats, an this year is expected to exceed that number. The racing starts on the Saturday 1st May. The kids finish on the Monday, and the big boys finish on the Tuesday.

We are looking for people that want to take part and join our team.

• People for boat registration on the Thursday and Friday. Taking entries, handing out Sailing Instructions and other paperwork, giving out T shirts and other items in the "party bags".
  • People with boats that can help on the water, such as taking out press, helping with laying marks. Fuel is covered by us and you get lunch and water.
  • People that can drive a boat. Has experience, but no boat, we welcome you.
  • People to go out on the start boat and help, taking finish times, raising flags and sounding horn signals.
  • People with some IT knowledge to post results on the regatta website.

This can be a lot of fun, and also helps us a lot. You get a polo regatta shirt, free entry to the regatta parties, and a big thank you.

I you are interested, please PM me and I will pass on your details to the regatta organiser.

I hope some of you can join in the party.

On a separate note, we have the weekend racing this weekend. If you want to come over here and race, come down at about 9am. Normally some boats are looking for crew. Ask for the Harbour Master, and I can point you in the right direction.

As this is the first time posting for crew, I don't know if 1 person will come, or 100, so please don't get disappointed if you don't get a ride. I doubt this will be the case, but it would be remiss of me if I didn't mention it.

How often is the weekend racing ? What type of yachts are being raced ? I have done a bit of sailing and would not mind a sail now and again although I am only in Thailand alternate months

We are racing this weekend. A mix of cats, keel boats and some sports boats such a Platu's and Phuket 8's.

The website for OMYC Sailing is http://omycsailing.ning.com/. Go there and you can see the schedule. I hope it is ok to post a web address. If not, and it is deleted, a) I am sorry to the moderators, and b, I can PM the address to you.

Edited by mcyachty

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest from the good people from this forum. Should be a fun week.

If you have a day where you are looking for something to do, come down for a drink and soak up the atmosphere of all the international yachties in town. Racing should be done each day by 4pm.

If you can sail, get in touch and I may be able to find you a boat to crew on.

How often is the weekend racing ? What type of yachts are being raced ? I have done a bit of sailing and would not mind a sail now and again although I am only in Thailand alternate months

We are racing this weekend. A mix of cats, keel boats and some sports boats such a Platu's and Phuket 8's.

The website for OMYC Sailing is http://omycsailing.ning.com/. Go there and you can see the schedule. I hope it is ok to post a web address. If not, and it is deleted, a) I am sorry to the moderators, and b, I can PM the address to you.

cant see where club is on website------------please cnfirm where omyc is---------am i right to assume at ocean marina---------not clear on site ta

Tbh, i would never encourge any youngster of mine to join a sailing club, as what i've read in novels, the "new recruit" cabin boy is fair game with the senior officers during long voyages..

they offered freebies...still not interested? :)

Ocean Marina is on the left hand side as you head out of Jomtien towards Sattahip on Sukhumvit Road. As you pass the Ambassador City, Ocean Marina is a few doors up. If you go into Ban Ampur, you have missed it, do a U'ey and come back.

There is a big lighthouse at the entrance on the road, and on the side of the building alongside the road is a billboard advertising Ocean Portofino.

Good luck getting here, and PM me if you want to catch up, and I am happy to show you around. The website is for the regatta is http://www.topofthegulfregatta.com/ and the one for the marina is www.oceanmarinayachtclub.com

Ocean Marina is on the left hand side as you head out of Jomtien towards Sattahip on Sukhumvit Road. As you pass the Ambassador City, Ocean Marina is a few doors up. If you go into Ban Ampur, you have missed it, do a U'ey and come back.

There is a big lighthouse at the entrance on the road, and on the side of the building alongside the road is a billboard advertising Ocean Portofino.

Good luck getting here, and PM me if you want to catch up, and I am happy to show you around. The website is for the regatta is http://www.topofthegulfregatta.com/ and the one for the marina is www.oceanmarinayachtclub.com

:) Ahem ! You would run aground if you headed " on the left hand side as you head out of Jomtien toward Sattahip". Look on you right and you can't miss it ! Methinks you may be a better dockmaster than a navigator :D

Your right Crusty, right hand side as heading out.

Happy birthday to you on this special day in Australian history. Wish I was down there to have a drink on your birthday. Hope your staff look after you.

Lest We Forget

Tbh, i would never encourge any youngster of mine to join a sailing club, as what i've read in novels, the "new recruit" cabin boy is fair game with the senior officers during long voyages..

lay off the alcoholic breakfast :D:) - on the other side of the coin your son may be able to meet a nice rich girl at the Yacht Club then you can go back to your alcoholic breakfast :D:D