Bangkok Taxi's

markuk

I am getting fed up with hailing taxi's for them to refuse to take me where i want - usually cos it is too far from their usual route etc etc - isnt it time thailand sorted this out?

I find the blue/red are best but even they refuse sometimes.

Anyon else having this problem? i expect so as it happenes a few times a week!!

:o

One alternative...

TAXI SERVICES

Bangkok Taxi Co-operative 0 2880 0888

Charoenmueng Radio Network 0 2215 1584

Garden Radio 0 2875 9995

Nakornchai Taxi Radio Network 0 2878 9000

Ruammitr Taxi Co-operative 0 2911 4444

Siam Taxi Co-operative, Ltd. 1661

Taxi Radio 1681

The Taxi Thai Co-operative, Ltd. 0 2438 9000

Thonburi Taxi Co-operative 0 2287 3345

http://www.bangkokpost.net/apartments2004/useful.html

Add extra 20 THB (I think) to the metered fare.

My Charoenmueng Radio Network's number is 02 611 6499 though.. :o

I guess I had about 200 Taxi rides within the past few months, and never ever a driver refused to take me to any place, except around 4 pm when their shift ends, which is understandable, cause during rushhour it takes maybe 2 hours or more to get back to their headquarter.....I wonder what was ur destination....did you want them to take you to Shanghai, Maledives or Wladiwostok ? :o

I am getting fed up with hailing taxi's for them to refuse to take me where i want - usually cos it is too far from their usual route etc etc - isnt it time thailand sorted this out?

Have only seen this happen when people live out in the middle of nowhere or they want to go to a difficult to navigate areas during rush hour or on some holidays.

Instead of Thailand sorting it out, try moving to upper or middle Sukhumvit or stop going out to places like Bang Sue, Salaya, or Sanam Luang on Songkran via taxi.

:D

We saw one taxi driver in Bangkok refuse 3 people one after the other in the space of about 90 seconds much to the anger of the taxi driver we were with behind this guy!

So yes it does happen :o

Edited by daveb1

Are you flagging down taxis in front of your hotel?

Taxis parked outside hotels are usually waiting for someone to take advantage of. They often don't want to do legit taxi work.

This is prime hunting grounds for them and controlled by a 'taxi mafia".

Honest taxi drivers are not allowed and intimidated.

Are you flagging down taxis in front of your hotel?

Taxis parked outside hotels are usually waiting for someone to take advantage of. They often don't want to do legit taxi work.

This is prime hunting grounds for them and controlled by a 'taxi mafia".

Honest taxi drivers are not allowed and intimidated.

Nope just flagging down off the street, i am a resident - dont live in hotel

I beleive it is a common problem. I have had this happen to me more that once... for some drivers are too concerned to go out of their way for you, I mai kojai...... :D

I beleive it is a common problem. I have had this happen to me more that once... for some drivers are too concerned to go out of their way for you, I mai kojai...... :D

Having said that, there are definately exceptions to the rule........ for example.. I was in Phuket when the tsunami hit. The next day i decided to leave and heard reports of how badly the airport was congested, so I rang my friends taxi company in Pattaya and he drove all lthe way to Phuket, picked me up and drove me back to Bangkok......Now theres an example of a cabbie going out of his way for you!

post-19278-1116896857_thumb.jpg

Is it a good idea to have a permanent cab to send me to and fro my work place daily and charged a monthly fee?

Anyone has this type of arrangement?

I dont have that arrangement but i have used the same driver, more than once for long distance arrangements for myself and friends. He has never let us down, and always been on time.........

I live at Asoke, and have had problems getting taxis to Ploen Chit, Chit Lom, Pantip and Silom.

Maybe just bad timing then eh!!

Hmm... how clear is your pronunciation? Maybe they think you're going to Phichit, Chaiyaphum, Phattalung, and Surin? Some falangs think they are more fluent than they really are ("my accent is pretty good, dude, my girlfriend/boyfriend says so") but in reality may sound more like Vietnamese or Hebrew.

Edited by Heng

• 2 years later...

My wife hailed 18 taxis near Jatujak market tonight and when the last one refused to take her to the elephant building area she snapped and said "will you go for 200 Bt" needless to say the leech agreed.

We have been told to ring the company as it is illegal for them to refuse a fare, anyone know if this does any good? I get so mad at their lazy attitude, we just came back from a nice time in Hong Kong where a taxi will take you wherever you want to go, this should be the norm here as well.

Yeah, I was in HK a few months ago and the taxis I took were great and a credit to the place. They might be older vehicles, but they were in far better condition than many you'll find here in Bangkok. In this day and age, with maps and such, it shouldn't be a problem to make it clear where you want to go. It's a question of profitability for some drivers, especially if they've been in a queue for a long time, waiting for a fare.

:D There could be a few reasons why taxis will refuse to take you.

1. During rush hours and you are traveling on one of the roads that are always full of traffic. I've spent 45 minutes to go from Soi 38 on Sukhumvit to Soi 11 during the rush hour.

2. You are trying to get him to go to a location wwhere he doesn't expect to be able to get a return fare (that is to find a customer coming back.)

3. You are taking a meter cab and paying him exactly what it reads on the meter. In my example above taking 45 minutes to get from Soi 38 to Soi 11, and paying 50 baht, means he uses up everything in gas (petrol to you Brits). Give him a 20 baht tip, it isn't much, but it will make him feel a little better.

4. And probably the most common is that you are trying to get him at the time when he is ending his shift, and needs to return the taxi to turn over to the next shift. If he takes you where you want to go, he won't be able to get to where he needs to go in time for shift turnover.

If you are a long term resident in BKK make use of the BTS and the air-con buses. Will help you with your Thai also.

Anyway always remember: never chase after a woman or a taxi....just wait and another one will come allong.

:D

About 2 nights ago at around 2100 I walked out of MBK with my wife, her brother and a friend from the states. She asked 16 different taxis and all refused....we wanted to go to Suan Phlu (near immigration) which is about 15 minutes tops....usually costs me about 70 baht to go there from Siam BTS area.

The funny thing is that they would usually ignore her and try to wave me over....I'd ask them to go to Suan Phlu in Thai and they'd say something like "300 baht" and I'd just laugh and slam their door.... I think I'm going to start tipping the legit guys 20 baht and tell them it's for not trying to screw the foreigner.

I try to make it a point to tell other foreigners who are getting in to the taxis to make sure the meters are running...my wife says that we should start writing down the ID numbers on the taxis when they refuse fares and call them in...but to who? and would they give a shit? Who knows....

One thing I've noticed is the taxi driver is not always the guy in the pic on the dash, I've had a few in the past month where the licensed driver of the taxi was "lending" the taxi to his "friend".... any one else get this?

An Army of taxi Cheats troll the Tourist areas. NOT INTERESTED IN TRANSPORTATION. ONLY lookng for victims to exploit.

You would think, a Taxi Company gets several complaints and the driver loses his job. Not in Thailand.

Complaints fall on deaf ears and the same criminal taxi drivers are out there, working over tourists, year after year.

Call the TAT and they tell you to call Tourist Police.

Call the Tourist Police and they tell you to go to a Police Station and file a report.

Call the Police say and they say "cannot do anything" unless "they catch him in the act".

NOBODY looks after the tourists, NOBODY.

I can assure you the Taxis in Hong kong many years ago were terrible rip offs, top tip, when a taxi stops dont stand at the door haggling, as soon as it stop leap in and tell him where you need to go and then say meter please.

It seems as if most drivers are intimidated if you Are actually sitting in the taxi behind them , and I dont think using this theory in 30 years has ever let me down

rent a car and driver, even if you don't live in Thailand full time, you can still get 1 month deals.

benefits :

no hassles with public transport

no getting ripped off

no getting taken the wrong way

24 hr transport at your beck and call to anywhere in thailand

can leave bags and other cumbersome items in the safety of the guarded car after a days shopping while you go to the pub

driver often doubles as a shopping bag carrier

no need to look for parking spaces

pick up and drop off right at the door of wherever you are coming/going from

depending on the calibre of the driver, he may also double as a pretty adept personal assistant

you can impress your mates by having your "personal driver" pick them up at the airport :D

i could go on and on.......

rent a car and driver, even if you don't live in Thailand full time, you can still get 1 month deals.

benefits :

no getting ripped off

can leave bags and other cumbersome items in the safety of the guarded car after a days shopping while you go to the pub

depending on the calibre of the driver, he may also double as a pretty adept personal assistant

you can impress your mates by having your "personal driver" pick them up at the airport :D

Please do go on, do you have any further details because something like that would be very useful to me.

I use the MTR and BTS mostly but you still have to get from there to your condo, that is the problem.

I think I'm going to start tipping the legit guys 20 baht and tell them it's for not trying to screw the foreigner.

I ALWAYS tip the drivers who don't try to rip me off. The truth is that they are getting screwed at normal meter rates, but so many of them are lazy cheats, that they almost deserve it.

Always tip the good ones! :o

I think I'm going to start tipping the legit guys 20 baht and tell them it's for not trying to screw the foreigner.

I ALWAYS tip the drivers who don't try to rip me off. The truth is that they are getting screwed at normal meter rates, but so many of them are lazy cheats, that they almost deserve it.

Always tip the good ones! :o

After hundreds of taxi rides in BKK I still have to see a cab driver who would fit your post.

benefits :

no getting ripped off

Please do go on, do you have any further details because something like that would be very useful to me.

I use the MTR and BTS mostly but you still have to get from there to your condo, that is the problem.

my company organize my car and driver.

most car rental firms have 1 monthly deals with optional driver package. the more you pay, the better the car and driver. google around.

if you live here, you may consider buying your own car and then sourcing a driver yourself.i know many guys who do this.

i think it is well worth it.

benefits :

no getting ripped off

my company organize my car and driver.

most car rental firms have 1 monthly deals with optional driver package. the more you pay, the better the car and driver. google around.

if you live here, you may consider buying your own car and then sourcing a driver yourself.i know many guys who do this.

i think it is well worth it.

Cheers, I do live here and would just have to much road rage to have a car and the biggest problem for me would be parking, I would rather not have the hassle as I don't work when I am here so not in too much of a rush to go anywhere.

The driver and car rental might be nice though, I'll check it out, cheers.

• 11 months later...
Yeah, I was in HK a few months ago and the taxis I took were great and a credit to the place. They might be older vehicles, but they were in far better condition than many you'll find here in Bangkok. In this day and age, with maps and such, it shouldn't be a problem to make it clear where you want to go. It's a question of profitability for some drivers, especially if they've been in a queue for a long time, waiting for a fare.

Not sure the taxi drivers can read maps. It's an education thing.

It's one of the things here that you learn to live with, and there are many. No sense getting frustrated for a lot of reasons. Look at it as the taxi driver is trying to make a living. Even with them picking their passengers (based on destination), I don't see how they can come out ahead at the end of the day. They have to hustle. I think they do the same thing with Thai's too. The best way is to call a taxi service as Elsie suggested. Thanks for the numbers, BTW.