Chulalongkorn Vs. Thammasaat University: Reputation

alohatiger

I couldn't find an Education Forum here on Thaivisa (which really makes me wonder..) but here it goes:

If I wanted to complete my studies in Thailand, which schools have which good programs and where?

I know of the big three. Chula, Thammasaat, and Mahidol.

Payap in Chiang Mai seems okay too, is private and more expensive.

They all seem to have good programs and dedicated teachers.

Chula seems to have SOME international recognition, because of it's SE Asian studies program: all the sculptre collectors from the West and I think embassy staff go to Chula. Big art scene and archaeology, etc.

Chula seems to be something like the Bangkok elites power shook? Is that good or bad or both?

Thammasaat has a very much recommended International program that is well though of, and is a bit cheaper than Chula as well.

Payap is in CM, which speaks for itself. They have a good Thai language program.

Don't know much about Mahidol, but it's Big Three.

So, based on early findings, Chula has a reputation of excellent staff and programs (it's paid for), maybe 20% more expensive, and is populated by the scion of the elite: people I talk to seem to think they are just spoiled children, so my co-studens will be .. a spoiled, maybe bratty precocious smart kid with an iPhone, headjacks and bubble gum. Hmm..

Thammasaat on the other hand seems to be the place for the older International student. Could meet some other pod internationals there ..

The best programs for my field may be in Chula (by name), but Thammasaat may be a better fit so far.

School is an excellent precursor to establishing oneself on Thailand. Meet young ladies, learn the language, and get something out of your time here, all in English.

That is if you can swim, academically.

So is Chula really for brats only? No legitimate schooling? Is the schools's reputation only for those who don't really know?

There may be a small group that party and BUY there way through .. Paris Hilton and Johnson-heiress here I come! Haha, not really ..

I may be attending a year undergrad (to refreshen and obtain basic prerequisites for Master's) then get the Master's.

Is Chula really not a real choice for academics? I would really like to make contacts with people I share the same interests with, and while I may not be uber-wealthy and ski in Switzerland, at least I am a globe-trotter and self-made. Maybe .. a connection can be made in my case?

It's often just ONE connection can be the deal maker, and your success is guaranteed.

Haha, wife-hunting at university .. But probably not at Chula .. I think those gals marry for sake of alliances and wealth, yes? My family, your family ..

Funny .. But an important decision: what will I miss out on in Chula?

It depends on what you're interested in. Chula has great business and law programs from what I've heard, Thammasat is also great for law, and political science, and Mahidol is great for science and medicine, (and I think, music?).

Keep in mind that Chula and Mahidol are more entrenched in the Thai cultural trait of "worship the professor". You are expected to listen and agree with everything the professor says, they are not interested in your opinion. Thammasat is more progressive, (it was the heart of the democracy movement in the `30's), but of course, some of the older professors are also resistant to differing opinions.

I'm biased, but I think the quality of the professors coupled with the push for critical thought puts Thammasat at the top. I've also heard on this forum about some International Chula students who felt they were being drained of more money than they were originally told, but you can search for that thread.

If you want art, Silpakorn University may be one, they are known for their art program, but I don't know if it's offered in English.

Good luck!

Don't know, but interesting questions. Never heard of Payap... but Chiang Mai University is supposed to be good.

For a little perspective:

By The Nation

Published on May 13, 2009

Four Thai universities have been ranked among the top 100 best higher educational institutes in Asia.

In the ranking compiled by QS Quacquarelli Symonds, Mahidol University is the highest placed university in Thailand at 30, with Chulalongkorn University five spots behind at 35. Chiang Mai University, meanwhile, is ranked 81st and Thammasat University has 85th place among Thailand institutes.

Like your idea of hooking up with the Thai Paris Hilton! :) It's a nice thought anyway...

Just guessing, but I think your chances of making good business connections might be best at Chula. It's usually considered the best uni in Thailand and they have the best MBA program in Thailand. But I wasn't terribly impressed when I visited - a lot of mangy stray dogs. Imagine getting rabies while attending an elite university? Very strange.

Edited by dumbnewbie

It depends on what you're interested in. Chula has great business and law programs from what I've heard, Thammasat is also great for law, and political science, and Mahidol is great for science and medicine, (and I think, music?).

Keep in mind that Chula and Mahidol are more entrenched in the Thai cultural trait of "worship the professor". You are expected to listen and agree with everything the professor says, they are not interested in your opinion. Thammasat is more progressive, (it was the heart of the democracy movement in the `30's), but of course, some of the older professors are also resistant to differing opinions.

I'm biased, but I think the quality of the professors coupled with the push for critical thought puts Thammasat at the top. I've also heard on this forum about some International Chula students who felt they were being drained of more money than they were originally told, but you can search for that thread.

If you want art, Silpakorn University may be one, they are known for their art program, but I don't know if it's offered in English.

Good luck!

Let's balance with prices now: Last I heard (some time and exhange rate fluctuation) a semester or a year was $4,200 at Chula. Maybe that was per term for 12 credits. Or was that Assumption? Ah, it was a while back.

Thammasaat trailed behind Chula in price by maybe 10% if I remember.

Do you join a certain "team" when you join a uni? I've been to a nice bar and saw an obviously wealthy and tuned-up Chula supporter (whom I wouldn't mind currying favor with) and his opponent in rallying was the crystal-bespectacled, trim and crisp intellectual Thammasaat guy.

The Chula guy won, with his fat Mercedes and his big gold Chula ring.

The Thammasaat guy pushed back his glasses and took it with great aplomb. An intellectual was a good sport.

I kinda like winning. I also respect the intellectuals.

I guess Chula's more of a networking school, and Thammassat for the dedicated thinker?

Chula seems to have a few downsides .. Because they can afford to?

The MBA program seems ideal at Chula though .. They also have SE Asian studies some embassy staff go to.

Is Chula really more internationally recognized?

Or baseless?

Seems like Thammasaat might be a great choice for the money ..

Independent thought .. Aha, I thought so. Chula and the like are a training ground for certain way of thought, his-story as opposed to history (undecided as yet, could be for good reason). It's not to stimulate independent learning, but to create a body of like-minded people .. To the tune they decide. His-story.

Will look into it.

What's happening at uni's this time of year? Don't need to butt around finals, etc ..

Also, a relation (either a Chula / Thamma / Assumption graduate or wherever) wherever is often the deciding factor that can tip the scales in your favor.

Both an Amazing Hawk's fan (I made that up)? Well, all things being equal, the rich guy can go with whoever he darn well pleases. And it pleases him to see your rare collection of fan memorabilia.

Which industries do certain graduates (both Bachelor and Master's and up) seem to staff? Are manufacturing execs mostly from a certain brand of schooling? Or international lawyers or international traders from a certain school? Medical supply industry from here or there?

Chula has a reputation of excellent staff and programs (it's paid for), maybe 20% more expensive, and is populated by the scion of the elite: people I talk to seem to think they are just spoiled children, so my co-studens will be .. a spoiled, maybe bratty precocious smart kid with an iPhone, headjacks and bubble gum. Hmm

Hmm, you may be slightly amiss about your view of Chula students, especially if you're studying at post-grad level. I (a 50 year old technology post grad), studied their MA in Thai Studies course a few years ago. My fellow students were a 55 American lady, a 30 year old Chinese man being 'pushed' by his parents into obtaining a Chula MA, a thoughtful 35 year old Japanese chap and a fellow Brit who seemed all at sea with the whole course.

Not a single iPhone or bubble gum to be seen :)

Simon

Beware of buying into the stereotypes you seem to have listed, not only for supposed students and faculties at those universities, but it seems also for yourself.

Meridian007 has it about right in his analysis of the different places. And if it's something in the arts field you want, take a good look at Silpakorn, or even Srinikarinowat (sure my spelling is way off on that last one).

Once you've figured out what it is you want from the experience, it will be much easier and more effective making a choice.