Septic Tank.

4.real

It depends how you treat it ie what you put into it. Mine has been going for 12 years without a problem but I do not allow any chemicals that would kill the bacteria to be flushed into it. That includes bleach and other cleaners, detergents, solvents etc. A neighbour had theirs pumped out for B600.

I have a sceptic tank that has had microbs in it. They consume any biodegradeable matter, reducing it to liquid form. Once the tank fills with fluids (includes shower water etc) it filters across to a soak away. This basically is three concrete rings sunk into the ground with no bottom. a pipe from the sceptic tank (on a downward slope, because fluid will not flow upwards without being impelled) feeds the fluid into the concrete rings, called surprisingly "a soak away". Providing you do not dispose of any tissues or other non biodegradable items (sanitary ware etc) in the toilet you should be fine for a long, long time. My own house and seven other houses I rent out have had this system for five years and have not needed emptying. :)

Providing you do not dispose of any tissues or other non biodegradable items (sanitary ware etc) in the toilet you should be fine for a long, long time. My own house and seven other houses I rent out have had this system for five years and have not needed emptying. :)

Er, is toilet paper ok?

I also found out you can buy some "germs" or could be yeast, to get the bugs working in there. Available at most spermarkets, albeit in Thai writing.

I have a sceptic tank that has had microbs in it. They consume any biodegradeable matter, reducing it to liquid form. Once the tank fills with fluids (includes shower water etc) it filters across to a soak away. This basically is three concrete rings sunk into the ground with no bottom. a pipe from the sceptic tank (on a downward slope, because fluid will not flow upwards without being impelled) feeds the fluid into the concrete rings, called surprisingly "a soak away". Providing you do not dispose of any tissues or other non biodegradable items (sanitary ware etc) in the toilet you should be fine for a long, long time. My own house and seven other houses I rent out have had this system for five years and have not needed emptying. :)

If your shower water goes to the septic tank i am surprised it still works, soaps, detergents and shampoos etc. can kill the bacteria microbes, only toilet waste should go to a septic tank, shower and sink water should go straight to soakaway.

The government trucks empty the septic tanks here for 350 baht, privateers will rip you off by measuring the depth and other nonesense.

If your shower water goes to the septic tank i am surprised it still works, soaps, detergents and shampoos etc. can kill the bacteria microbes, only toilet waste should go to a septic tank, shower and sink water should go straight to soakaway.

The government trucks empty the septic tanks here for 350 baht, privateers will rip you off by measuring the depth and other nonesense.

In Aus it is law that all grey water (shower and sink) as well as toilet waste goes into the septic ,, (this applies to rural areas only) ,,,,most soaps and detergents these days are bio-degradable ,,as is toilet paper ,,, so no problem ,,,, the tanks are 2,000 to 2500lts ,, 3/4 of which is for solids and the remaining is for liquid overflow with a slotted drainage pipe of 90 mts ,,, and all that works extremely well ,, l never had to pump one out ,,,,,,,

cheers

egg

You should typically get upward 20-20 years without a pump out if the septic is built correctly & you avoid copious amounts of Duck Bleach & other cleaners that kill the bacteria. And use as little toilet paper as you can. You really do not need the additives if you do not dose your septic with amounts of cleaners. Even Yogurt will work as a starter for the bacteria & I believe it is cheaper as well but again really not needed as it will naturally breakdown anyway.

As posters have said, don't overuse bleach and toilet paper

An old country trick to get teh microbes working again if the bacteria has bebn killed off by bleach etc is a DEAD RABBIT.

Just throw him in. Thee are of course more expensive and less efficient remedies on sale at rip off prices.

caf

Thanks to all for your replies.

I live at Pattaya Land & House.Not sure if it is a septic tank as I know little about such things [thank goodness]It is a tank underground .I had to empty it 7 years ago when I moved here as it was full.[ i think the village manager had had problems with the previous owner and messed about with some things around the house.

I cleaned out the water pipes 4 months ago with about 1 litre of bleach as I had been abroad.

Other than that there is very little detergent going into the tank.

If anyone has a dead cat or rabbit..........

^ Dead cats are better and easier had.

priceless! :D

As posters have said, don't overuse bleach and toilet paper

An old country trick to get teh microbes working again if the bacteria has bebn killed off by bleach etc is a DEAD RABBIT.

Just throw him in. Thee are of course more expensive and less efficient remedies on sale at rip off prices.

caf

How about my mother in law? :)

Throw some bacteria in - (Bactersel 2001 or something like that) far easier than finding a dead cat or dog - probably just needs a kick start, never emptied mine but occasionally smells a little so just pour a bottle in over 2-3 days.