Thai Red Shirts Lap Up Urban Support

webfact

No point taking offence - these are the rules. I know in reality it might not make a difference to the level of intelligence of a person.

If you put the same people through the education system it would be interesting to see if they're still red shirt supporters on the other side however.

Why wouldn't they be? Is there some anti-Thaksin 101 course folks study at school or college? Considering I'm not overly impressed with the Thai eduction system how would it make a difference?

It might be equally as interesting to have put the Thais who consider every red shirt as a bought and paid for ignorant prole into the position of security guard, rice farmer, tuk tuk driver or construction worker on a pittance for a few years and see if they come out as hardcore reds.

Edited by mca

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is kind of BS. We have the results of the last election to look at and also many polls to make some reasonable estimates about the level of support for the Thaksin puppet.

You believe the results from the last election to be a fair barometer.

Alice in wonderland is showing at the moment i recommend it to be far less more believable than what you quote.

Edited by nickynomatesbkk

Why wouldn't they be? Is there some anti-Thaksin 101 course folks study at school or college? Considering I'm not overly impressed with the Thai eduction system how would it make a difference?

If there was such a course I don't think the syllabus would be that challenging.

Regardless, after a bit more of an education people might be less inclined to believe lines such as "the government stole his money" without reviewing the court judgements for themselves. People might also be less inclined to supplement their incomes by throwing on a shirt of any colour without thinking of the wider implications of who has what to gain from it all.

I personally believe such reasoning is to blame for the lack of student representation within the red shirts currently.

It might be equally as interesting to have put the Thais who consider every red shirt as a bought and paid for ignorant prole into the position of security guard, rice farmer, tuk tuk driver or construction worker on a pittance for a few years and see if they come out as hardcore reds.

They just might mca, but I reckon it'll be with a red faction that is very serious about distancing itself from the Thaksin element.

The protest to me looked like it was a success. Ok, there wasn't a million Red shirts on the streets, but 100,000 is still a substantial presence. The coverage the Red shirts got was immense. Look at it from a neutral stand point. The Reds won a victory with out firing a shot. Maybe it won't end the war, but it brings it one step closer. The fact the government had the army and the police on high alert, thereby building up an expectation of violence confrontation that never came to life. Invoking the ISA. Bringing a period of martial law into effect. The average Thai is probably saying "Enough is enough. Lets have a legitimate election and end this once and for all."

And that's all it takes. A legitimate election. After which Thaksin will return and all will be forgiven. Well......maybe not all! :)

They just might mca, but I reckon it'll be with a red faction that is very serious about distancing itself from the Thaksin element.

We can only hope.

Day dreaming here but I'd genuinely like to see the reaction if a "red" [for want of a better word] party non-affiliated with Thaksin romped home in the next election in a clean and clear battle.

A few supporters you say ? Okay, compaired to the population it could be considered "a few", but they speak out for the lower and middle-class. As opposed t the yellows some time ago, they remain peacful, they don't block the airport, they don't shoot innocent people. As far as the bomb attacks, it might aswell be the yellows again trying to put the reds in bad daylight.

Does the name Angkhana Radappanyawut ring a bell? Killed by a ping-pong bomb while peacefully protesting in 2008. Perhaps the individual whose car was rigged with a bomb, another yellow shirt. What about the nightly attacks on the yellows while they also were lawfully protesting?

These were not the yellows, but either the police or the peaceful and fun loving red shirts. Lest we forget who was in charge during this time. What was his name? It wasn't Somchai Wongsawat, was it? The brother-in-law of Thaksin.

I guess it's okay that the UDD can hold lawful protests, but the other side cannot without fear and intimidation? Speaking of bomb attacks and murdering innocent people, I see someone disregarded last years Songkran.

We can only hope.

Day dreaming here but I'd genuinely like to see the reaction if a "red" [for want of a better word] party non-affiliated with Thaksin romped home in the next election in a clean and clear battle.

They'd better hurry up and form one then.

Is it safe to say that the people who support the thaksin/the reds are comfortable with nationwide corruption?

I'm baffled by the support the reds get but I have to remind myself that they are the majority, which in itself is a sorry tale.

Based on the last election, they got slightly more votes, but are NOT the majority, as that would mean they have over 50 percent support of the Thai people, which based on the last election, they don't have. I also think it is clear the reds support has eroded since then. I am not saying they will or they won't win the next election, of course that is very possible.

I'm not too informed about the numbers, but I believe that the 'reds' would win the next election and that in itself is a sorry tale.

In the state things are here, isn't a dictatorship what is neccessary? It seems that nobody is welcome in government unless they pay the population.

The political reality is that Abhisit doesn't want an election now because he is hoping the economic recovery will mature over time and more people will forget the dream of resurrecting Thaksin. The longer he can delay, the better his chances to consolidate his power. I agree that it is not clear democracy is always the most effective political system in every country. Being a westerner, I like it, but you can't argue with the success of places like Singapore.

The Contrary will happen because the Rural population is out of the current economy boom. more the government is proud of its economical records and more the Rural population will feel the insolence of the situation; it will "radicalise" the positions.

Does the name Angkhana Radappanyawut ring a bell? Killed by a ping-pong bomb while peacefully protesting in 2008. Perhaps the individual whose car was rigged with a bomb, another yellow shirt. What about the nightly attacks on the yellows while they also were lawfully protesting?

These were not the yellows, but either the police or the peaceful and fun loving red shirts. Lest we forget who was in charge during this time. What was his name? It wasn't Somchai Wongsawat, was it? The brother-in-law of Thaksin.

I guess it's okay that the UDD can hold lawful protests, but the other side cannot without fear and intimidation? Speaking of bomb attacks and murdering innocent people, I see someone disregarded last years Songkran.

It would be extremely narrow minded to think that only one side had members who were capable of violence.

Hate Thaksin all you like but to whitewash the PAD completely would be foolish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbnFPhExOTw

It would be extremely narrow minded to think that only one side had members who were capable of violence.

Hate Thaksin all you like but to whitewash the PAD completely would be foolish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbnFPhExOTw

It would be nice as well if you would include the entire post and not just snips of it. There was a reason I posted what I did, and it was a response to the usual red shirts did nothing wrong. Yes, mca, you have posted this video how many times? I'm not whitewashing anyone unlike many members here who conveniently forget about Songkran and the repeated attacks on the yellow shirts in August 2008. If you're going to quote me, at least do the favor and stop slanting it.

There is no doubt Thailand is in a big political mess these days, and there is no easy solution. There will be a new election someday in the not so distant future. If Thaksin is still a player, the Thaksin puppets might win. Does anyone for one second seriously believe that will mean the end of this mess? Clearly, if the Thaksin puppets win they will try to wipe out his crimes and possibly reinstall him into total power. Do you think the opposition, and not ONLY the yellows, will sit back for that kind of outrage?

If the Thaksin puppets actually retake control of the government there will be civil war, and everyone with half a brain understands this. My wife for one will support armed conflict before allowing amnesty for that criminal.

Thaksin mistreated too many people. His crimes are too serious. The reds seem to think that only their own perceived injustices are important, but that somehow it is OK if Thaksin inflicts similar injustices on everyone else. They somehow forget that part of democracy is responsibility, and it is not democracy to elect a tyrant who will happily steal from and murder all those opposed to him or those who he doesn't like. And no, this is not exaggeration. He did kill thousands with his policies, and threatened to kill many more.

The only chance for reconcilliation in Thailand is for the red faction to wake up and dump the demagogue. An election will not solve anything while the great divider is still influencing events. Solving the Thais problem hinges on eliminating him.

Let's hope the reds develop intelligence and a conscience sooner rather than later. I will support them in their quest for justice, but not as long as they hold that tyrant over my head. Bring him back, and you condemn Thailand to civil war.

There is no doubt Thailand is in a big political mess these days, and there is no easy solution. There will be a new election someday in the not so distant future. If Thaksin is still a player, the Thaksin puppets might win. Does anyone for one second seriously believe that will mean the end of this mess? Clearly, if the Thaksin puppets win they will try to wipe out his crimes and possibly reinstall him into total power. Do you think the opposition, and not ONLY the yellows, will sit back for that kind of outrage?

If the Thaksin puppets actually retake control of the government there will be civil war, and everyone with half a brain understands this. My wife for one will support armed conflict before allowing amnesty for that criminal.

Thaksin mistreated too many people. His crimes are too serious. The reds seem to think that only their own perceived injustices are important, but that somehow it is OK if Thaksin inflicts similar injustices on everyone else. They somehow forget that part of democracy is responsibility, and it is not democracy to elect a tyrant who will happily steal from and murder all those opposed to him or those who he doesn't like. And no, this is not exaggeration. He did kill thousands with his policies, and threatened to kill many more.

The only chance for reconcilliation in Thailand is for the red faction to wake up and dump the demagogue. An election will not solve anything while the great divider is still influencing events. Solving the Thais problem hinges on eliminating him.

Let's hope the reds develop intelligence and a conscience sooner rather than later. I will support them in their quest for justice, but not as long as they hold that tyrant over my head. Bring him back, and you condemn Thailand to civil war.

let's see whether will there be a civil war if... possible? :)

Edited by Dodobird

I must say this is a bit of a crock

Yes they do have support in Bangkok from a few but that is it.

Because they are being peaceful and non violent,

yesterdays procession was more like a parade than

a rolling protest. Lets face it, everyone likes a parade

We were down in Chinatown yesterday afternoon and was in

a little back alley when we heard the honks and hoopla. Yes, we

quickly made are way to see what the to-do was. It was the

parade winding thru Chinatown. Yes, we stood and watched as

they rolled by, as did many many others.

But does that mean I support the red shorts, NO it does not,

it only means I love a parade.

Posters like this areso full of crap, you'll kiss ass of PAD and Sondhi but when the Reds are out is it all a flower procession. Just so stupid.

It would be nice as well if you would include the entire post and not just snips of it. There was a reason I posted what I did, and it was a response to the usual red shirts did nothing wrong. Yes, mca, you have posted this video how many times? I'm not whitewashing anyone unlike many members here who conveniently forget about Songkran and the repeated attacks on the yellow shirts in August 2008. If you're going to quote me, at least do the favor and stop slanting it.

Your responding to a "red shirts did nothing wrong" is irrelevant. It doesn't detract from your comments. Your response (which I posted in it's entirety and didn't cherry pick) uses phrases like "lawfully protesting" and "without fear and intimidation" when referring to the PAD when the video clearly shows some (and of course it's some the same as with the reds) going off like the wild west and if that isn't a whitewash then what is? Where's the slant?

You may be surprised that I more than likely find Thaksin as odious as you. People who absolve the reds of all crimes are equally obtuse. Luckily I'm mature enough to not go into a frothing rage like some on here when there's a mere suggestion (or video proof even) that the side they don't support could in any way be at fault.

BTW I've never posted that video before. Rather than having a pop at me explain how a guy on a truck busting caps is "lawfully protesting"?

I'm not anti-PAD. I'm not anti Abhisit. I'm not pro Taksin. I thing all are capable of everything. But sometimes the level of one dimensionality by some on this forum is quite gobsmacking.

The massive 20-kilometre-long red-shirt motorcade around Bangkok Saturday proved beyond doubt that many working-class and lower-middle-class people in the capital support the red shirts, as they came out in force to wildly cheer the caravan as if their liberators had arrived.

Really? I was in taxis traveling in Thonburi and Bangrak most of yesterday. Red-shirt vehicles were kept in constant motion throughout the city to create the impression that large numbers of red-shirts were everywhere simultaneously. The people "wildly cheering" were red-shirts who had been pre-positioned at the major intersections through which the caravans were passing. At 4:30 PM on Sathorn and Surasak, you could see groups of red-shirts being deployed in advance to greet the caravan when it crossed the Taksin bridge. Aside from these staged groups of supporters, I saw nothing to indicate that Bangkok residents were "out in force" -- in fact, the impression I got was exactly the opposite. Driving along kilometers of the caravan routes, I saw very few local residents paying any attention to the red-shirts at all.

All in all, a very well orchestrated facade.

You have hit it on the head.

It is unbelievable that the Red Shirt leaders can possibly think people in Bangkok will support them when only two weeks ago they said a million people were coming to Bangkok to burn the city down. This includes the houses and shops of the same people they are now begging to join them.

Unreal.

Well done Reds - did an excellent job. Just shows the support they have in Bangkok - more than some people on TV thinks.

My home football team, a wee team from Bonnie Scotland, yesterday had a crowd of 90,000 fans to watch a rather small home match... Glasgow Celtic v St Johnstone... Scotland has a population of less than 5 million... Thailand has a population of over 66 million people... So, the Red Shirts in my mind, have almost No support in Thailand... why can they only drum up 35000... especially when they pay people to turn up... In the sphere of things... its nothing.. just a fraction of Thai peoples... Be real about this .. its just boring now... And where are the students in all of this..?? What ever happened to the million man march... Pie in the sky... Abhisit is laughing all the way to the bank..

Your responding to a "red shirts did nothing wrong" is irrelevant. It doesn't detract from your comments. Your response (which I posted in it's entirety and didn't cherry pick) uses phrases like "lawfully protesting" and "without fear and intimidation" when referring to the PAD when the video clearly shows some (and of course it's some the same as with the reds) going off like the wild west and if that isn't a whitewash then what is? Where's the slant?

You may be surprised that I more than likely find Thaksin as odious as you. People who absolve the reds of all crimes are equally obtuse. Luckily I'm mature enough to not go into a frothing rage like some on here when there's a mere suggestion (or video proof even) that the side they don't support could in any way be at fault.

BTW I've never posted that video before. Rather than having a pop at me explain how a guy on a truck busting caps is "lawfully protesting"?

I'm not anti-PAD. I'm not anti Abhisit. I'm not pro Taksin. I thing all are capable of everything. But sometimes the level of one dimensionality by some on this forum is quite gobsmacking.

When it comes to violent protest, neither side has a monopoly.

If I remember, the PAD went to Survanabhum virtually the same day. Funny. Where were the crusaders in army fatigues to save the day?

I'm cheering for the reds. I am disappointed that they seem to have so little support from the whites in Thailand online. Could it be that a large percentage want to see a largely disenfranchized majority of the population? It does help fill the brothels they rely on for affection and ensures an available workforce of domestic servants that work for peanuts.

I'm also disappointed by our Canadian political and media elite. Supposedly we are at war in Afghanistan because of our deep faith in democracy. If we in Canada have so much faith in democracy why are we so silent on behalf of the heroes that are trying to restore it to Thailand ?

Get a life Dude... what has Thaksin got to do with Democracy... The Reds are about Thaksin getting his money back... dont you have ears and eyes..?

There are a million quotes I could use on these threads but this one is as good as any others:

I'm not surprised the Thai lower classes are getting upset with the extreme disparity between rich and poor in this country. What surprise me is they think Thaksin is going to help their struggle one bit.

Thaksin is a hero to some, but a corrupt liar to many.

There are a million quotes I could use on these threads but this one is as good as any others:
I'm not surprised the Thai lower classes are getting upset with the extreme disparity between rich and poor in this country. What surprise me is they think Thaksin is going to help their struggle one bit.

Thaksin is a hero to some, but a corrupt liar to many.

vice versa...things you have to see to believe.

Brilliant post. Best I've read for ages.

Nothing in the uni curriculum is anti-Thaksin. Perhaps when people learn a few things beyond their local ampher they realize that Thaksin is a corrupt criminal element and has no business in politics. With knowledge and experience comes wisdom and integrity. Why are the student groups not out there with the reds?

I must say this is a bit of a crock

Yes they do have support in Bangkok from a few but that is it.

Because they are being peaceful and non violent,

yesterdays procession was more like a parade than

a rolling protest. Lets face it, everyone likes a parade

We were down in Chinatown yesterday afternoon and was in

a little back alley when we heard the honks and hoopla. Yes, we

quickly made are way to see what the to-do was. It was the

parade winding thru Chinatown. Yes, we stood and watched as

they rolled by, as did many many others.

But does that mean I support the red shorts, NO it does not,

it only means I love a parade.

or you are just a nosey parker :)

<snip>

I also saw a lot of motorbike taxi, looking form my Condo, looked like they were paid to march with the rest of the mob

:) So how exactly did they look? How did they have the appearance of being paid? Did they hold up banners saying "I just got paid to be here"?

:D

Page 1 comments done. Can't be bothered with any more. You Yellows make me laugh.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Bangkok is a very big city. I am sure you could stir up a crowd for most any style of weekend parade. If the reds think Thais are so stupid to believe that because some Bangkok people came out to watch their parade that that means there is overwhelming red support in Bangkok, well, good luck with that.

Edited by Jingthing