Singapore-new York City: 19 Hour Flight

syd barrett

Ive done the flight a few times but on biz class. Only way to go on this never ending flight.

have a good one. SQ is a brilliant airline

rgds Mark

I have just checked and it is now all business class.

Return flight is 4,500 GBP which I think represents good value for money.

Is not that flight all biz + premium economy? No classic economy.

Only 180 or so seats (where 420 are possible). Perhaps, that's how they have enough fuel for the 18 hours flight and keep the prices reasonable.

:)

Did it once some years ago...but then there was a refueling stopover in Frankfurt, Germany if I recall. Don't think it was all business class then., but I flew business class. Still a long long flight anyhow. Wouldn't have done it without the business class seats. Even then I was worn out arriving in New York, and just found a hotel to sleep for the first 12 hours. I had inteneded to go on to Boston, Mass....but after that flight I just wanted to rest and sleep for a while.

If I recall correctly the route they take is over Russa through Siberia. And there ia a LOT of nothing but forest to look at out of the window over Siberia. Better hope you enjoy the entertainment on board.

:D

Did JFK to BKK on Thai Air when they were doing that route. One of the best flights I've taken in Economy Class.

Yeah. Did it both ways. JFK to BKK had the entire middle row to myself.

Not a bad ride in either direction.

Just read on wikipedia that some magazine said Thai might be bringing this one back.

ima....

i am surprised and puzzled....

what did you do on board to render you so overly exhausted on arrival....? :D

on the contrary, i always arrived lax, sfo, nyc.... refreshed and ready to go.... :D

but then perhaps.... you could have been way more 'senior' chronologically than myself.... :)

and boston is really only a stone throw away.... :D:D

what did you do on board to render you so overly exhausted on arrival....?

I would much prefer this non-stop than having to connect once or twice. I don't take because I can't afford it. So instead I take a two-stopper via Narita with 24+ total hours, which is very tiring.

On a longer flight like this one, I think you have to break the time up, such as three 6-hour sections or two 9-hour sections. One of those is obviously for sleep and the rest are to prepare you for sleep, such as planning a full shift of study or work. And after work, there is often exercise, which could be done by walking around the plane, stretching, etc. Stick to the plan. Make sure you get your body and brain worked and ready for sleep.

I also start planning for the trip a couple of days in advance, gradually adjusting my sleep schedule to time with the flight and the time zone where I'm going. None of these little things are a complete solution for a non-stopper or a multi-hopper, but each one helps a little.

I can't say that I've ever arrived at Bkk overly exhausted. At the very least, it always takes 3-4 hours for travel adrenaline to wear off.

I generally stay up the night before - packing, etc - and when I arrive at my destination I have zero jet lag.

I am not sure how people get 'exhausted' on a flight. All you do is sit. I think it may have something to do with constant noise, which is why I bring earplug headphones that eliminate almost all the outside sound and I have peace and quiet and listen to things I want to listen to. It makes a big difference.

Did JFK to BKK on Thai Air when they were doing that route. One of the best flights I've taken in Economy Class.

Just read on wikipedia that some magazine said Thai might be bringing this one back.

Thanks for that info Old Hand, although the article says they'll use Newark instead of JFK if and when they resume flights to NY. Newark is inconvenient for me but I'll schlep out there. That was a great flight and better than any of the other current alternatives for those of us who fly economy class.

Thanks for that info Old Hand, although the article says they'll use Newark instead of JFK if and when they resume flights to NY. Newark is inconvenient for me but I'll schlep out there. That was a great flight and better than any of the other current alternatives for those of us who fly economy class.

Same same me. I would pay several hundred extra for a non-stop out of EWR.

EWR much better where I'm at right now. Lots fewer tolls and don't have to slug it out with traffic over to JFK. Also, JFK has some of their long runways out of service for construction and they are having real problems getting flights in and out on time.

I'm with you Spee, not to have to make that 5 hour flight to LAX would be worth the extra money to me, the only thing really bad about the BKK / JFK flight was that you arrived at JFK at 0700, a lousy time to make any connections

Yes, but not as bad as EVA which arrives at EWR at 10:30 pm, connections out of the question. They put you up at an airport hotel for the night but require you to take the first available flight out in the am. One is lucky to get three hours sleep before the wake-up.

Will be flying to JFK on Singapore Airlines SQ 26 early April.

Flight duration is Changi to Frankfurt - 13.5hrs and a 2-hour stopover. Then Frankfurt to JFK - 8.5hrs.

Would like to know if we will be allowed off the plane during the 2-hour stopover at Frankfurt.

Edited by trogers