Accident

Forkinhades

Recently I has an accident (hit a motorbike taxi from behind) The lady (passenger) went to hospital, and the insurances (polarball + my A1) paid the bill. So I thought everything was done. However this lady now wants compensation from me, and for me to go to the police station? Whats my position in this? do I have to go, if so why?

The motorbike taxi did not have a license, and I presume his polarball was invalid, not sure if he had anyway.

Also we went to the police station after the accident, and got a police report, at the time the police did not really seem interested, and the report did not put anyone to blame.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, you did everything you need to do, you reported the accident to the police, you got your insurance involved, they paid her hospital bills. She is now trying to scare you into giving her some money, pure and simple. Like i said tell her no not call you as you will not deal with this, tell her to call your insurance. She won't call your insurance as they will just tell her to take a running jump.

Don't worry about the police, you have done all you need to do, she is just hoping for a pay day, don't give it to her.

My thoughts on this.

You(insurance( paid for hospital treatment,then she has a relapse and wants more,maybe because of more treatment,wants unusual about this.Ask any yank on here and they will all say no different than USA.

My thoughts on this.

You(insurance( paid for hospital treatment,then she has a relapse and wants more,maybe because of more treatment,wants unusual about this.Ask any yank on here and they will all say no different than USA.

And so you know that she had to have additional treatment then do you?

My thoughts on this.

And so you know that she had to have additional treatment then do you?

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

a scenario or maybe she is my sis in law.you decide mate as you know everything

Listen, you did everything you need to do, you reported the accident to the police, you got your insurance involved, they paid her hospital bills. She is now trying to scare you into giving her some money, pure and simple. Like i said tell her no not call you as you will not deal with this, tell her to call your insurance. She won't call your insurance as they will just tell her to take a running jump.

Don't worry about the police, you have done all you need to do, she is just hoping for a pay day, don't give it to her.

Yes my thoughts as well, just needed a little reassurance

I think she is just trying it on, tell her to contact your insurance company and not to contact you again. If the police want you they will send for you.

In accidents like this there are two levels. 1st is the police, legal, aspects of it and 2nd is the civil part which she is trying out on you. As said, have the insurance guy deal with her.

Just so you get it right, Polarball should be pronounced Por Ror Bor, your polarball is close, just break the syllables up into the three distinct sounds.

She has a right to claim, a recent case with one of my staff is similar. I have not read what others have said, nor would I take this as a Thai screwing the farang, it is not and you need to follow due process. In the case of my staff it was Thai/Thai.

Yes she can claim.

No, you do not need to go to the police, your insurance should have a 1million up to 3 million cover for civil case.

Do not go to the police station, but your Por Ror Bor and A1 insurance must go.

She will sue, and either collectively they settle out of court and/or they get a lawyer to represent them in court against the claim. You do not have to pay up, providing your insurance is first class. This should not get as far as you, and as you are likely a westerner, I would keep out if it too.

Good luck, check your policy and tell your A1 to manage everything, he has too.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Just so you get it right, Polarball should be pronounced Por Ror Bor, your polarball is close, just break the syllables up into the three distinct sounds.

She has a right to claim, a recent case with one of my staff is similar. I have not read what others have said, nor would I take this as a Thai screwing the farang, it is not and you need to follow due process. In the case of my staff it was Thai/Thai.

Yes she can claim.

No, you do not need to go to the police, your insurance should have a 1million up to 3 million cover for civil case.

She will sue, and either collectively they settle out of court and/or they get a lawyer to represent them in court against the claim. You do not have to pay up, providing your insurance is first class. This should not get as far as you, and as you are likely a westerner, I would keep out if it too.

Ohh, I wondered what a polarball was :) .....good picking and good advice.

Yes she can claim.

I thought it was just me :D ....And yes you're right, good advice, best so far as for accuracy.

Thanks guys very good answers, and from top posters here.

I will tell her to speak to my insurance, and not to me, obviously trying it on.

From what I can make out, she had a broken right leg, and the hospital fees were 100,000 (not 100% on this though), por ror bor covered 50,000, and my A1 the rest.

My A1 insurance has cover of 1 mil per person, and 10 mil per accident

Edited by Forkinhades

if she has a lawyer your screwed, if shes poor watch your back lol

Why he is screwed if she has a lawyer.

Actually lawyers are often brought in to give a threat a semblance of validity. Very often though it is pure bulls*it. Call a lawyer's bluff and it is often quite amazing at how fast they disappear. Totally agree, why is he screwed if she has a lawyer?

Yes she can claim.

Hope the OP does OK, he sounded like needed genuine help. Can be a bit stressful with the language barrier.

Polarball! Sounds like a new game title. We should honor the OP with creative license. The game is defined as simply knocking people off there motor bikes. Farang's on 1000 cc bikes could bring high points, but honestly, I think Thai teenagers on souped up 125's, skill wheels and lots of anodized parts should bring top dollar. These teens are well experienced in avoiding head-on attacks. I don't have photo's but these guys are able to ride through a gang of arresting police officers wielding sticks and batons.

Polarball, sign up here. First round in Nakorn Sawan March 26th-27th. Bring your kids. PS. No bull-bars allowed, factory fitted car accessories only.

Thanks guys very good answers, and from top posters here.

I will tell her to speak to my insurance, and not to me, obviously trying it on.

From what I can make out, she had a broken right leg, and the hospital fees were 100,000 (not 100% on this though), por ror bor covered 50,000, and my A1 the rest.

My A1 insurance has cover of 1 mil per person, and 10 mil per accident

A broken leg at 100,000 Baht.... doubtful. In relevant terms, that is like saying a broken leg would cost 30K USD to have sorted out in the US. While all things medical in the US is crazy high, it aint that high. So either you are making things sound less than what they are (broken leg = fractured pelvis, requireing extensive invasive surgery) or she is full if fluff

A broken leg at 100,000 Baht.... doubtful. In relevant terms, that is like saying a broken leg would cost 30K USD to have sorted out in the US. While all things medical in the US is crazy high, it aint that high. So either you are making things sound less than what they are (broken leg = fractured pelvis, requireing extensive invasive surgery) or she is full if fluff

Possibly was a fracture, did not get the full report, and it was 2nd hand information, lady pointing to leg, and arse, so quite possibly fractured pelvis, and of course they see a farang, and go to the most expensive hosital in the area.

Possibly was a fracture, did not get the full report, and it was 2nd hand information, lady pointing to leg, and arse, so quite possibly fractured pelvis, and of course they see a farang, and go to the most expensive hosital in the area.

just to help the converstation flow rather than a argument, thought id just point out that actually 100,000 bhat is about 3,000 USD, and although i dont know the exact costs of medical care. This does not sound too unreasonable

just to help the converstation flow rather than a argument, thought id just point out that actually 100,000 bhat is about 3,000 USD, and although i dont know the exact costs of medical care. This does not sound too unreasonable

The Bangkok Pattaya is well known for its exorbitant prices, also would like to point out, that if it was thai/thai accident, they would have gone to a much cheaper hospital in the local area.

Again I echo, the thais see a fralang in an accident, and go straight to the most expensive hospital. They all think we are millionaires, and have an attitude of go forth and multiply the fralang.

hope I have kept within the rules of this forum on that comment

If she is a motorcycle taxi driver and has a broken leg she is surely entitled to some compensation for her loss of earnings. Also, she may have incurred other expenses (child care, domestic services, etc.).

So, I don't think it's fair to assume she is just trying it on.

Put yourself in her place - you might also expect some compensation for loss of earnings, pain and suffering (over and above hospital expenses).

I'm not suggesting that you should pay - that's what your insurance is for - but a little empathy might be in order.

Everything is covered by your insurance except the pain and suffering...

( in Thai it is called "Kaa Dok Chai" = smart-money ). Normally the claim starts somewhere

in the 50 000 - 90 000's and up to your negotiation skills/ kindness you can settle anywhere

between 2000 - 100 000. And yes, the victim can sue you for this but would do a lot to avoid this...

Up to you :) .

Edit: And yes, the " Polarball " was really funny :D

Edited by Chonburiram