Condo In Phuket

counrikke

Hi all,

I've made a few posts here and always had a handful of great responses, hence why I keep coming back! heh :)

But yeah, to the point.

I think in late april I will be moving over to phuket for a job.

I'm single, only require basics, not huge amount of space and what not.

Would like to live in a decent condo, away from the women of the night and less then diserables.

I plan to live in Chalong hopefully, as I will be working in Kata/Patong areas. From what I've seen of chalong, it seems to be generally a little more calm and a nice area in general.

But one thing I am honestly worried about is Security. I had an occurance when I was a toddler where I witnessed and was in the same room as a buglar, and since I am just paranoid about such things.

I'm not old (19) and will be moving over on a work permit and do plan to come home safely and not without my goods.

I want to know, what kind of security can you get with a condo?

and generally how much would it cost? like, even if you didnt know chalong as such, but are familar with phuket prices it would be helpful.

Thankyou

Prices are really variable.. Not only on quality but also on whose asking and the haggle factor.. If anything I am possibly a little high in some peoples eyes, but those kind of prices should find nice clean standards of places, hopefully without a cheap vinyl sofa and nasty level of furnishings.

If your working in Patong, it will be a daily hike to Chalong !!

Hi,

I think you will find that Thailand is generally a very safe place in terms of living in an appartment or condo. Every building (Unless it is a really cheap, dirty and nasty) should have a security access system with a keycard and at least one security person on duty. I've lived here for more than 10 years and I cant say that I have ever heard of any break-in at a condo or apartment. Most problems arise where people let in strangers or choose to trust a 'friend' who turns out not to be so trustworthy. So there's the secret, just be careful who you let in to your place.

As with any city anywhere in the world, you just need to walk around and take a look at the general area and the types of people living in the building. Don't jump at the cheapest place... pay a little more and you'll be fine.

If you are staying for at least a year, you could consider buying a motorcycle to get around; which will save you a fortune in taxi fees and give you convenient mobility. But, be warned that motorcycle theft is rampant in Thailand so be sure to have some kind of security lock etc and of course, be carefull when driving at night.

Good luck

see I'm still undecided, if the prices differences arent that different between patong / chalong I may just end up in patong. I was just under the impression that it's a bit further out and may be a bit cheaper

I think there is a definite price difference or rather that you will get a better quality / much more choice for your money. Then again just by being over into Kathu you get a big difference too. The places that can rent to or appeal to tourists obviously have a attached price premium, of course.

For me I wouldnt sweat if a place is a couple of k more than another, the overall cost of living means a few grand here or there in accommodation is usually a small amount of the overall. Also if you have a pleasant place to live, to cook, to entertain, maybe access to a pool, then your far less likely to feel the 4 walls closing in and be out all the time. I know guys who stay in cinderblock bar girl rooms at 4 and 5k, yet the moment they wake up they are out in a bar as staying in is not an option. Cost in the bar far outweighs a nice place to live IMO.

Apartments range from low end perhaps 6 - K for basic western, to 12 - 15 for pretty nice to the sky is the limit for luxury..

Generally apartments simply by virtue of the access are far more secure than houses.

I have an identical pic taken on Sukhumvit in October 2004.

He must be really tired ,,,,,,,,,LOL

Chalong is a long hike from Patong to do twice a day, and Kathu, while cheap means two trips a day over the hill - believe me , you take your life in your hands every trip over the hill.

Suggest looking at the Sky Inn condos in Patong, very quiet and not expensive.

Kathu while cheap means two trips a day over the hill - believe me , you take your life in your hands every trip over the hill.

I used to think that, but now I live inland of the hill its really not that big a deal, you just need to know they simply dont have a concept of lane use. The hill itself is no real obstacle.

Kathu while cheap means two trips a day over the hill - believe me , you take your life in your hands every trip over the hill.

I used to think that, but now I live inland of the hill its really not that big a deal, you just need to know they simply dont have a concept of lane use. The hill itself is no real obstacle.

I still marvel at the concept of "I'll take the path of least resistance" when it comes to lane discipline here. Try to pass in the other lane..forget it. As soon as the bend straightens and begins to curve the other way,you had better have a lot of shoulder available because here they come drifting right into you. And this is when your both in cars/trucks. Same goes for the pass between Chalong and Kata. They had to restripe it the other day because nobody was following the lanes!! Same thing for cars coming the other way. They will be head on in your lane when there is nobody to be overtaking!! Unbelievable.