Is Bickering A National Pastime In Thailand?

IanForbes

Or is it just a pastime for the posters on Thaivisa? :)

It doesn't seem to matter how nicely, or properly worded a post is written, there are always a few who take great delight in taking potshots at the poster. It's almost as if they make assumptions based on their own personal beliefs and try to incorporate them into the discussions. Even posts that are helpful are treated with scorn by some who do so as a sort of way to try to elevate their life style.

I am particularly found of the Anglish Teackers who loving to be correting others.

Gives them feel of suppereriorty I guess

It is in a teachers DNA to correct people, I am not sure if they realize how

condescending they can appear, if they are aware of it they are just

wanke_rs who care not to change, if they are not aware of it, they should

then teach themselves

trawl....

Did you pay for the full-hour argument, or just half an hour?

SC

Embaressing typo corrected - don't want to look like a half-wit English teacher who takes rude and obnoxious potshots at people based on stereotypes

Edited by StreetCowboy

After dark in which country...Continent? lol...is this the sort of reply you mean! :)

Its a FORUM on the internet,make of it what you like,members are not your best friends just participants and information vultures.

And to answer your question Ian most of it is to eleviate the boredom one sometime feels being an ex-pat so yes it does become a pastime.

A lot of it is alcohol related methinks...the weirdest posts are written after dark IMHO

I agree, just look at the time of the post and that should be a serious clue, things seem to get much worse from about 8/9 pm onwards.

A lot of it is alcohol related methinks...the weirdest posts are written after dark IMHO

I agree, just look at the time of the post and that should be a serious clue, things seem to get much worse from about 8/9 pm onwards.

Worse? I find it gets better.

Much more entertaining. :)

What would you expect from people who work their whole lives to "retire" and live on 10,000 bht per month, which is half of the median income of a Thai.

Great example of the kind of post the OP was talking about. Well done!

Touche Jingthing, touche.

Worse? I find it gets better.

Much more entertaining. :D

You're right there Swindon.....I never ever got a warning during daylight hours ..or whan I was sober come to that :)

Bickering? Potshots at the poster? Assumptions based on their own personal beliefs?

I disagree. I find a lot of posts here to be knowledgable, but quite a few completely wrong. Even worse, it appears that the inability to admit being wrong is an irreversable disease. Personally, I find this hilarious, and in many aspects, this is what makes this such a great place.

With regards to potshots, bickering and even being rude to other members, it was a remarkable experience reading that you should not be allowed to do just that. Take potshots and be rude.

My experience shows that what people perceives as being signs of an incredibly rude and unsightly nature of personality is when someone points out that they are wrong.

It becomes even nastier if the person in question moreover is ready to explicate WHY someone is wrong – and in addition is prepared to show empiric facts that clearly exemplifies how crazy an argument might be. In the event of such case, you are clearly dealing with an asocial madman who - in the event that you are totally unable to defend your complete and utter lack of knowledge or incorrect gibberish, for that matter - should be barred from this forum if not only to prevent the sinister character from revealing someone's lack of argument with proper statements supported by empiric facts - which is apparently perceived as being rude.

The day it's decided that members can not be rude against, or take potshots at each other; it is inevitable that this forum will lose - in my opinion - the last of whatever charms it initially had.

With that in mind, I will continue to be as rude as I potentially can, and take potshots.

By the way, did anyone tell you that Naam still claims that a bilingual gardener makes wonders for the price levels of german cars?

Edited by Forethat

"...who delight in taking pot-shots at the poster"

There are some posters who deserve more than a gentle ribbing (so to speak), regardless of the quality of their prose.

Some of the bad-driving braggarts spring to mind, and also the obnoxious cheapskates and misogynists. Not everyone can hope to attain your generosity of spirit, and I suspect some here do not even aspire to it.

Anyway, in the spirit of childish bickering in which I think that the original post was posted, it would be very unlikely for this forum to be representative of anyone's national pastimes, since the forum membership is pretty diverse in nationality, and also probably quite dispersed in residence.

SC

I think a lot of people who were unhappy in their own country, end up here. Unfortunately, they bring their jaded side with them.

Zing. Wherever you go, there you are.

This says much more about the type of people who end up in Thailand then it does about Thailand. However the two are somewhat interrelated because many of the type of people who end up here are taken in by many of the things that are here that other people would not be taken in by. For example, disgruntled 52 year old Brit's who have been getting cheated on for years by their 22 year old bargirl "wife".

Lots of people are not:

-Male

-British

-Willing to live in Thailand

-Dumb enough to marry a bargirl

-Dumb enough to think a relationship between a 52 year old and a 22 year old is likely to work out

-Willing to stay in a relationship where they get cheated on

-Willing to stay in a relationship where they are constantly lied to

-Willing to constantly be taken advantage of

etc.

If I were in that situation I'd probably be pretty sour too. Add to that the fact that TV posters are generally pretty old and old Western people are pretty cranky in general and you get the gist of it.

The culture of this forum could not be more different than the culture of Thailand. Pretty interesting that point.

Steady on there Never. It was my mum who made his mum's combat boots. :D
Ian,

I havent seen any examples of what you are talking about brother. Anyway, this is a poorly written thread and your mother wears combat boots :D

You missed an apostrophe. :D

You see Ian, you've got it all wrong, nobodys bickering here :D:)

Steady on there Never. It was my mum who made his mum's combat boots. :D

Thats Mr Never to you :D

Ian,

I havent seen any examples of what you are talking about brother. Anyway, this is a poorly written thread and your mother wears combat boots :D

You missed an apostrophe. :D

and, I knew that, to you. :)