Living In Thailand

shakeydave

:o Hello Everyone

I will cut to the chase and ask for Good Honest advice on the do's and don'ts when living in Thailand. My family ( wife , son age 9 and the dog) have made a decision to come to live in Thailand within the next 2 years. I have looked on the forum at various topics but what we need is good pratical advice as to make things easier when we get there. We are planning on renting for 12 months and take things from there with the bigger plan of having a guest house. Also besides this we wondered about schooling for our son what is the cost and how good it compares to the UK. We have no intention of owning a bar or anything like thatwe just want to live somwhere less hetic as the UK is now so fast paced and hum drum.

I understand if there are negatives and we wish to here them but please be constructive with your comments so we can make sense of them. Work wise my wife works in clothing imports and I work as a travel agent running 2 travel websites. If after a year we decide to make things more permenent what would the prostpects be of buying a guest house and which location would people suggest as a good area to buy in. Also there is the issue of health what do we do for this and is health care ok out there. We have lived in Cyprus for 4 years and feel that we can't live in the UK anymore it's gloomy at best and freezing at worst.

I look forward to all the advice that's heading my way as this seems to be a friendly forum.

Regards

Dave :D

I will cut to the chase and ask for Good Honest advice on the do's and don'ts when living in Thailand. My family ( wife , son age 9 and the dog) have made a decision to come to live in Thailand within the next 2 years. I have looked on the forum at various topics but what we need is good pratical advice as to make things easier when we get there. We are planning on renting for 12 months and take things from there with the bigger plan of having a guest house. Also besides this we wondered about schooling for our son what is the cost and how good it compares to the UK. We have no intention of owning a bar or anything like thatwe just want to live somwhere less hetic as the UK is now so fast paced and hum drum.

I understand if there are negatives and we wish to here them but please be constructive with your comments so we can make sense of them. Work wise my wife works in clothing imports and I work as a travel agent running 2 travel websites. If after a year we decide to make things more permenent what would the prostpects be of buying a guest house and which location would people suggest as a good area to buy in. Also there is the issue of health what do we do for this and is health care ok out there. We have lived in Cyprus for 4 years and feel that we can't live in the UK anymore it's gloomy at best and freezing at worst.

I look forward to all the advice that's heading my way as this seems to be a friendly forum.

Regards

Well at least you'll have somewhere to drink.

'Shakies' run by shakey Dave in Soi Yamoto.

Regards

Well at least you'll have somewhere to drink.

'Shakies' run by shakey Dave in Soi Yamoto.

A question like this could take hours to reply to, but I'll try and make is short.

1st - Have you ever been to Thailand before ? If not, I suggest you take a couple of (long) holidays and tour different areas of the country (especially the larger cities, as you seem to be concerned about international schooling and health care). Take into consideration whether you want to be near the ocean or not, and the fact that areas around large cities tend to be more expensive.

2nd - From what I've read in some topics on this board, international schools here are quite expensive. In fact, recent posts I've read were about people moving back to the UK so their kids could get an education that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

3rd - From what I've seen, most of the bigger cities (Bangkok and Pattaya certainly) have good hospitals. I've never had to test their competence yet (knock on wood).

4th - Employment/Income. One does not simply arrive in Thailand and start working. There are a slew of rules and regulations regarding expats working here, and more regarding setting up a business. There are boards here dedicated to such matters. As for buying a guest house, again, there is another board more or less dedicated to Real Estate matters in Thailand.

Lastly. There is a lot of expertise available from the members here. A large number of them (I think), live here, some have business's, others are retired (some, like me, still have to work for a living to make ends meet). There are members here from pretty much all over Thailand. If you have general questions regarding specific aspects of life here, there is most likely a board/topic/post already running that deals with it. Look around and enjoy !

:D

Thanks Kerryd,

I should have mentiond that we have been to thailand on several occasions for a holiday and my wife has been to Bk many times on business. I thankyou for your advice on how to navigate this forum and hope to use the knowledge wisley. Regarding the schooling the cost seems to be the same as Cyprus where we last stayed for a number of years so things such as that don't really matter what matters is the quality rather than cost. Anyway thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Dave :o

A question like this could take hours to reply to, but I'll try and make is short.

1st - Have you ever been to Thailand before ? If not, I suggest you take a couple of (long) holidays and tour different areas of the country (especially the larger cities, as you seem to be concerned about international schooling and health care). Take into consideration whether you want to be near the ocean or not, and the fact that areas around large cities tend to be more expensive.

2nd - From what I've read in some topics on this board, international schools here are quite expensive. In fact, recent posts I've read were about people moving back to the UK so their kids could get an education that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

3rd - From what I've seen, most of the bigger cities (Bangkok and Pattaya certainly) have good hospitals. I've never had to test their competence yet (knock on wood).

4th - Employment/Income. One does not simply arrive in Thailand and start working. There are a slew of rules and regulations regarding expats working here, and more regarding setting up a business. There are boards here dedicated to such matters. As for buying a guest house, again, there is another board more or less dedicated to Real Estate matters in Thailand.

Lastly. There is a lot of expertise available from the members here. A large number of them (I think), live here, some have business's, others are retired (some, like me, still have to work for a living to make ends meet). There are members here from pretty much all over Thailand. If you have general questions regarding specific aspects of life here, there is most likely a board/topic/post already running that deals with it. Look around and enjoy !

One thing that I think would be helpful is to join one or both of the Pattaya Ex-Pats Clubs. Both have a mission statement of "Ex-Pats helping Ex-Pats."

Both clubs have many members that have already faced the problems that you will face. Housing; renting or buying; Transport; renting or buying a car or motorbike; Utilities; Schools; Visas, etc.

The Pattaya Ex-Pats Club meets every Saturday morning at 11:00am, Grand Sole Hotel on 2nd Road. The Pattaya City Ex-Pats Club meets every Sunday morning at 10:30, Henry J Beans Restaurant, Beach Rd. Both have websites and have online newsletters. You can ask questions online and have ex-pat residents of Pattaya help with your inquiry. Good luck.

<http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com>

<http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com>

One thing that I think would be helpful is to join one or both of the Pattaya Ex-Pats Clubs. Both have a mission statement of "Ex-Pats helping Ex-Pats."

Both clubs have many members that have already faced the problems that you will face. Housing; renting or buying; Transport; renting or buying a car or motorbike; Utilities; Schools; Visas, etc.

The Pattaya Ex-Pats Club meets every Saturday morning at 11:00am, Grand Sole Hotel on 2nd Road. The Pattaya City Ex-Pats Club meets every Sunday morning at 10:30, Henry J Beans Restaurant, Beach Rd. Both have websites and have online newsletters. You can ask questions online and have ex-pat residents of Pattaya help with your inquiry. Good luck.

thats asuming of course that he wants to live in Pattaya ! not everyone does,

as for healthcare its much better than Blighty and its relatively inexpensive, whats up with cyprus anyway I think it would be a great place to live.

Hi Aikido,

Thanks for the advice, We left Cyprus because it was becoming a mini Britain and the cost of living out there is way to exspensive to stay for a long time, plus we sold our villa out there for a stupid price so we want a change of pace.

Laters :o

as for healthcare its much better than Blighty and its relatively inexpensive, whats up with cyprus anyway I think it would be a great place to live.

Hi Pattayaguy,

Thanks for the info, I will check out there websites.

Regards

Dave :o

Whats up with cyprus anyway? I think it would be a great place to live.

There are or is a huge problem about to re erupt in regards property sold to foreigners.

Traditionally the birthplace of the ancient goddess of love Aphrodite, Cyprus's modern history has, in contrast, been dominated by enmity between its Greek and Turkish inhabitants.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded the north in response to a military coup on the island which was backed by the Athens government.

The island was effectively partitioned with the northern third inhabited by Turkish-Cypriots and the southern two-thirds by Greek Cypriots.

A "Green Line" - dividing the two parts from Morphou through Nicosia to Famagusta - is patrolled by United Nations troops.

In 1983 the Turkish-held area declared itself the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. Turkey recognises only the Turkish Cypriot authorities and keeps around 30,000 troops in the north of the island.

The prospect of EU expansion concentrated minds in the search for a settlement. UN-sponsored negotiations continued throughout 2002 and a peace plan was tabled. Soon afterwards the EU invited Cyprus to become a member.

But hopes that the island could join united were dashed when leaders of the Turkish and Greek communities failed to agree to the UN plan by the March 2003 deadline.

As EU entry approached, a revised UN reunification plan was put to both communities in twin referendums in April 2004.

The plan was endorsed by Turkish Cypriots, although not by their then leader Rauf Denktash, but overwhelmingly rejected by Greek Cypriots. Because both sides had to approve the proposals, the island remained divided as it joined the EU in May. EU laws and benefits will apply only to the Greek Cypriot community.

Turkey has a particular interest in seeing the situation resolved as its own EU aspirations are linked to the island's future.

Anxious to avoid a possible Cypriot veto of its membership, Ankara has agreed to recognise Cyprus as an EU member before the start of its own EU accession talks in October 2005. However, it says that this will not not amount to full diplomatic recognition.

Many hope that the key to a Cyprus solution will be found during the course of Turkey's negotiations with the EU

Population: 807,000 (combined) (UN, 2004)

Capital: Nicosia (Lefkosia to Greek Cypriots, Lefkosa to Turkish Cypriots

Area (combined): 9,251 sq km (3,572 sq miles)

Major languages: Greek, Turkish

Major religions: Christianity, Islam

Life expectancy: 76 years (men), 80 years (women) (UN)

Monetary unit: 1 Cyprus pound = 100 cents; Turkish lira used in north

Main exports: Clothing, potatoes, cigarettes, pharmaceuticals

GNI per capita: US $12,320 (World Bank, 2001)

Internet domain: .cy

International dialling code: +357

Cypriot president: Tassos Papadopoulos

Tassos Papadopoulos was elected at a key moment for Cyprus

Mr Papadopoulos won presidential elections just weeks before the spring 2003 UN peace plan deadline.

He defeated his veteran predecessor, Glafcos Clerides, who had been president since 1993 and at the forefront of Cypriot politics for many years before that. Mr Papadopoulos was thought to have picked up votes from those who believed Mr Clerides to have made too many concessions at UN-sponsored talks.

Mr Papadopoulos took over negotiations on whether or not to accept the UN plan, negotiations which ended without agreement.

On the eve of the May 2004 EU entry date, Mr Papadopoulos urged the Greek Cypriot community to vote no in the referendum on the UN's 11th hour revised settlement plan. He insisted that the deal for Greek Cypriots returning to their former homes in the north was not good enough.

Mr Papadopoulos, 69 at the time of his election, leads the centre-right Democratic Party but was supported during the election campaign by the Cypriot left. He is a lawyer by profession with expertise in constitutional affairs. He also has more than 40 years experience in Cypriot politics having first become a minister in his mid-20s.

Turkish Cypriot leader: Mehmet Ali Talat

Mehmet Ali Talat favours reunification

Mehmet Ali Talat of the centre-left Republican Turkish Party won a convincing victory in Turkish Cypriot presidential elections in April 2005. Unlike his veteran predecessor, Rauf Denktash, he would like to see reunification and membership of the EU for the whole island.

He campaigned strongly in favour of the UN reunification plan which was put to a referendum in 2004 when the Turkish Cypriot community gave it firm backing.

He has urged the EU and UN to revitalise negotiations on the future of Cyprus and end the international isolation of the north.

Mr Talat has been Turkish Cypriot coalition prime minister since the end of 2003 when his party won general elections. It did so again in elections in February 2005 after the previous coalition collapsed.

Mr Talat was born in 1952. He has a degree in electrical engineering from Ankara University and speaks fluent English.

Rauf Denktash, who retired at the April 2005 elections, had led the Turkish Cypriot community for three decades. He proclaimed the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) in 1983 and remained its leader through years of abortive talks.

He had threatened to resign rather than accept the 2004 UN settlement plan.

The Cypriot media mirror the island's political division, with the Turkish-controlled zone in the north operating its own press and broadcasters.

State-run services compete for audiences with a large number of private TV and radio stations. In addition, relays of Greek and Turkish stations are available across the island.

Newspapers on both sides of the divide are frequently critical of the authorities.

Get yourself an international driver's license before you arrive, in my home country, it was as simple as paying a fee and showing them my driver's license...

Makes getting a Thai Driver's license easy and avoids having to take their road tests.

Get yourself an international driver's license before you arrive, in my home country, it was as simple as paying a fee and showing them my driver's license...

Makes getting a Thai Driver's license easy and avoids having to take their road tests.

That's a great idea / advice also appropriate visas for both you and your wife.

Not my area of expertise but I think a "B' visa and you'll need one each plus the correct ones for your children. They might get away with study / education depending on age. Again not my area at all.

You do need the best visa on arrival to assist you, family and business investment

Depending on your investment proposal you might qulify for BOI incentives

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

Try here for some really useful info

It's the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs there is also a sponsor on this web site

Steve @ Indo Siam I notice offers up immediate answers to certain questions.

If you're brave enough to ride a motor bike here and you have a licence from the UK get the International equivalent too.

I like the Guest House come Bed and Breakfast idea too.

This is a personal opinion. I don't think Pattaya is geared for that particular type of home like accomodation. That's not to say it would not work. Location as always is a factor so is timing. Might be perfect closer to the new airport or Chang Mai. It's a great idea. The question is who are my customers?

Chang Sen is going to boom in the next 5 years great potential there on the Meekong River. Up past Chang Rai (beautiful) Again personal opinion only!

Have you thought of the back packer type hostel come guest house.

Unseen Thailand is The Tourism Authority Of Thailands Theme and I think that idea / concept is great for other parts of Thailand

:D Hi MP5

What can I say but you guys are just up there with the best with all this advice. I know we have loads to digest before we arrive from hum drum blighty. Once again BIG BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL.

Regards

Dave

:o

That's a great idea / advice also appropriate visas for both you and your wife.

Not my area of expertise but I think a "B' visa and you'll need one each plus the correct ones for your children. They might get away with study / education depending on age. Again not my area at all.

You do need the best visa on arrival to assist you, family and business investment

Depending on your investment proposal you might qulify for BOI incentives

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

Try here for some really useful info

It's the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs there is also a sponsor on this web site

Steve @ Indo Siam I notice offers up immediate answers to certain questions.

If you're brave enough to ride a motor bike here and you have a licence from the UK get the International equivalent too.

I like the Guest House come Bed and Breakfast idea too.

This is a personal opinion. I don't think Pattaya is geared for that particular type of home like accomodation. That's not to say it would not work. Location as always is a factor so is timing. Might be perfect closer to the new airport or Chang Mai. It's a great idea. The question is who are my customers?

Chang Sen is going to boom in the next 5 years great potential there on the Meekong River. Up past Chang Rai (beautiful) Again personal opinion only!

Have you thought of the back packer type hostel come guest house.

Unseen Thailand is The Tourism Authority Of Thailands Theme and I think that idea / concept is great for other parts of Thailand

Good to hear that you've been here several times before, but I'd like to suggest coming over here for an extended period not only to make the arrangements, but to make sure this is really where you will want to be living. While here, try to imagine what it would be like for you in the long term, not just as a visitor.

Buy a few books on Thai culture and lifestyle (Asia Books has tons of 'em), discuss extensively with your wife and son. Help your son prepare, so he doesn't have too much of a culture shock.

I'll have to say I share Kerryd's concerns.

Anyway, good luck, and a welcome in advance! :o

Good to hear that you've been here several times before, but I'd like to suggest coming over here for an extended period

Good advice coming here for 3-4 weeks on holiday and living here for 6 months or so is a different ball game.

My advice would be dont cash all your chips in back at home until your 100% sure (even 6 months is maybe too short a period).

Good luck anyways. :o