Sleeper Train To Malaysia

sokal

Me and the GF are planning to go to Malaysia and Singapore by train from BKK. I have never seen the sleeper berths in the trains. Is there enough privacy to do it in the train ? I have been on sleeper trains through eastern europe, they where very comfortable and private enough.

I hope neither you or her are Muslim. YOu know the punisment for that in Malaysia don't you?

I already asked if that would be an issue on another thread and the answer was no. Will I get arrested for traveling with a Thai girl ? She is not a BG, she doesn't look or dress like one.

Most of the long travel in the train will be done in Thailand, how will they know what is going on in the train ?

It is not private enough to do. Coz its not closed compartment. Only at night when you are going to sleep the seat will be arrange as a bed. Upper berth is not that comfortable. Lower berth can sleep two but if you are too big than not comfortable. But if you want to do you can do by closing your curtain but people will be passing your seat to go to the bathroom. So any sounds they might inspect.

No problem traveling with Thai gf.

It is not private enough to do. Coz its not closed compartment. Only at night when you are going to sleep the seat will be arrange as a bed. Upper berth is not that comfortable. Lower berth can sleep two but if you are too big than not comfortable. But if you want to do you can do by closing your curtain but people will be passing your seat to go to the bathroom. So any sounds they might inspect.

No problem traveling with Thai gf.

I did some reading around,what about a 1st class sleeper ? it sounds like you are explaining a 2nd class sleeper only.

I've heard people going at it on the train from BKK to Butterworth... farang khii nok style.. But the train doesn't cross the border until after daylight the next morning; so it was all within LOS.

You say you are travelling to Singapore? I think you'll find that there are no sleeping cars on KTM... even first-class is seats only.

I've heard people going at it on the train from BKK to Butterworth... farang khii nok style.. But the train doesn't cross the border until after daylight the next morning; so it was all within LOS.

You say you are travelling to Singapore? I think you'll find that there are no sleeping cars on KTM... even first-class is seats only.

what is farang khii nok style ?

i am not sure yet, I am aware that the KL train to Singapore takes around 7 to 8 hours and has seats only. Right now I think just going to KL would be better because I don`t have that much time.

Malasian Railways have sleepers to singapore but only on the slow night trains. They arae very cheap. If you book them make sure you book them from malaysia as if you book them from singapore you pay the same amount of sinapore dollars as Malaysian ringats'

Edited by harrry

If your train has 1st class private compartments....sure, go for it. If it's only 2nd class cars with fold-down beds....eww, please don't. Wait til you get there. :)

The direct service to Butterworth is 2nd class only but it is fine if long trip of some 20 plus hours.

As explained above 2 class is open sleeper design, only 1st class has its own compartment. You could catch another Hat Yai 1st class train, stop over for a few hours and catch the afternoon service to Butterworth. However, the direct service more time efficient and gets you into Butterworth (a bit of a hole) mid afternoon.

If you want to stay overnight just catch the ferry across to Penang which has better accom than Butterworth.

And dont worry at all about the the poster who was joking with you about being with your gf in Malaysia, you will be fine esp if you both not muslim. Especially in places like Butterworth, Penang, Ipoh and KL.

Public show of affection, just as in Thailand is frowned upon. There are plenty of hot chinese malay chicks showing flesh in that country without any probs. It is the more devout NE states where one needs to be more aware.

If your train has 1st class private compartments....sure, go for it. If it's only 2nd class cars with fold-down beds....eww, please don't. Wait til you get there. :)

The direct service to Butterworth is 2nd class only but it is fine if long trip of some 20 plus hours.

As explained above 2 class is open sleeper design, only 1st class has its own compartment. You could catch another Hat Yai 1st class train, stop over for a few hours and catch the afternoon service to Butterworth. However, the direct service more time efficient and gets you into Butterworth (a bit of a hole) mid afternoon.

If you want to stay overnight just catch the ferry across to Penang which has better accom than Butterworth.

And dont worry at all about the the poster who was joking with you about being with your gf in Malaysia, you will be fine esp if you both not muslim. Especially in places like Butterworth, Penang, Ipoh and KL.

Public show of affection, just as in Thailand is frowned upon. There are plenty of hot chinese malay chicks showing flesh in that country without any probs. It is the more devout NE states where one needs to be more aware.

I am a little bit confused. So I could take a first class train from BKK to Hat Yai ? and then a 2nd class afternoon train to butterworth ?

Thanks

:)

I've taken the train to Georgetown/Penang in Malaysia many times. I've never gone all the way through to Singapore. but I'm sure there are trains from Georgetown/Penang that go to Singapore.

As for your question in 2nd class sleeper is there enough privacy....No there isn't, forget that idea. You basically have a bunk with surtains to draw, and that's all.

You could get a 1st class cabin...but they are much more expensive than the 2nd class sleeper. Nice if you have the money to do it, but i'm not sure it is worth the extra price.

I would seriously consider stopping over in Penang one night to rest. The trip from Bangkok to Penang starts from BKK in the afternoon and gets to Georgetown/Penang the next afternoon. It is about 18 or 19 hours on the train at least(with a stop at the border for Passport/ entry to Malysia). You can take the ferry across to Penang from the train station in Georgetown. You will find a lot of hotels in Penang for the night. Rest that night, get some good Chilli Crab (Crab in Chilli sauce) at one of the food courts in Penang. Then up in the morning for breakfast, and take the ferry back to Georgetown for the Singapore train. I think that is an overnight trip too.

If you do take 2nd class sleeper, try to get two lower bunks. Some of the trains have the air-conditioning blowing into the upper bunk. It's cold in the upper bunk.

You need to book your train tickets ahead of time. I reccomend at least a week ahead. The good lower bunks will be gone if you wait until the last day or two before you travel.

I believe there is a tourist express train that goes from BKK to Singapore, but that is quite expensive. All first class though, and very good service. But quite pricey.

Believe it or not, the best part of the 2nd class sleeper is the people you will meet. a lot of young backpackers and such. My best menories of the train are the people I met on the trips.

Take a camera, you will be able to get those "traveler's memories shots" out of the train windows.

But that was quite a few years ago, when I was a lot younger.

:D

P.S. I once met a man who had sung as a back-up singer with James Brown on one of his Asia tours. I also met a Australian girl who was offered a milk cow, 3 goats, and several pigs to marry a local tribal chief in Sarawak. She said she was holding out for a better deal. On another note: I also met the head of a Thai Buddhist monestary in malaysia on that train.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I am beginning to wonder if I am going to get in trouble for traveling in Malaysia with a Thai girl. :) maybe i should wear a ring on my finger.

You will have no problem taking a Thai girl, bar or not, ring not needed, there are many bars and clubs in KL that have Thai working girls, She just needs a Thai passport and certificate of virginity.

The Virgin bit was a joke.

Can shag on the train - but have to be very quiet. If she's a screamer then give it a miss. The bottom berth can accommodate two people. Best position is spooning, no sound of seat fittings rattling. But keep some tissues handy. Not easy to run to the toilet.

If you travel 1st class private 2 bunk compartment, you might get moved if operational reasons require it. You will get put in with another male & your GF will have to share with another female. Not saying it will happen, but it can............... i found out!

Who wants to go on a trainride, if its so cheap to fly! Air Asia offers more than once good possibilitys.

Or do you, or she needs that kind od special surroundings, sounds and moving to do it?

Who wants to go on a trainride, if its so cheap to fly! Air Asia offers more than once good possibilitys.

Or do you, or she needs that kind od special surroundings, sounds and moving to do it?

I am too very astonished how many people and time is spend for such stupid matter. I propose they do it befor flight in Suvarnabhumi toilett and after arrival in Kuala Lumpur, a short break during flight :) (bush was too often compared with a monkey !!!

Edited by thaibear1

Then you don`t get the romance of the railroad and the sight seeing.

Then you don`t get the romance of the railroad and the sight seeing.

I try to understand you and in this case I would invest some money to allow a romance in the

http://www.orient-express.com/web/eoe/east...tal_express.jsp

so later you don't must be shy to show your child wehre it was made ha ha ha. Better then in a wooden class train !!! enjoy and I wish you twins :)

Edited by thaibear1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little bit confused. So I could take a first class train from BKK to Hat Yai ? and then a 2nd class afternoon train to butterworth ?

Thanks

So this is correct ? Take a 1st class train from BKK to Hat Yai and then 2nd class afternoon train to butterworth ? The trip is on and I don't want to screw it up for my GF, plus I have another reason to get out of BKK.

I looked at the pics of the first class sleeper, still not really a double bed. Good thing we are in shape.

Edited by sokal

I remember the first time I did that journey in the 90's.....was sitting accross from a nice looking Malay bird. When it came to lights out time I gentlemanly offered her my bottom bunk ticket.....it transpired the top bunk had a light that could not be turned off !!!

And no, I did'nt get any action.