Retro With Side Car Arrived

guzzi850m2

Okay now I have contacted Mr Pariya from Tiger, and he told me that they will send somebody to my house in Pattaya, which is VERY good service. They might show up when I am Offshore working, but better get it sorted rather sooner than later.

Richard-BKK, interesting so if I ending up mounting 2 rear disks I can end up in deep trouble, yes I can imagine that, thanks for the warning.

It is also not easy with sometimes an empty side car and sometimes loaded up to maybe 10-100 kg. I guess it would be possible to mount a sort of distributer (disk brakes) so that the rear wheel got say 65% power and side car 35% power, but all that just complicate matters so would be better if it can be sorted by the factory.

Thanks to everybody for advices and heads up.

My sidecar wheel can be turned by hand when stepping hard on the foot brake and we tried to adjust the cable for the sidecar brake.

Well there's obviously something wrong with your bike and whoever "tried" to adjust the sidecar brake obviously failed. Initiate a warranty claim with Tiger and they'll fix it. I've been very impressed at the service I've received from Tiger. My Retro has had a few issues and they've sent mechanics to my office every time within a day or two to sort it out. Really quite exceptional service for such a relatively cheap bike. Good luck! Tony

Yes you can buy one from Tiger, BUT it won't be road legal, the side car will not be in the green book so be prepared for trouble with the police/insurance.

Thank you Guzzi, yes i think i will get in touch with this Tiger soon to see what they might be able to achieve, i read in some other threads that you might avoid those technical troubles by taking your bike to the Transport Department (or whatever else was called) and then they will update your green book, i really want to stay legal but i am not really prepared to buy a whole new bike just for a spin with the dog :lol: :jap:

Yes you can buy one from Tiger, BUT it won't be road legal, the side car will not be in the green book so be prepared for trouble with the police/insurance.

Thank you Guzzi, yes i think i will get in touch with this Tiger soon to see what they might be able to achieve, i read in some other threads that you might avoid those technical troubles by taking your bike to the Transport Department (or whatever else was called) and then they will update your green book, i really want to stay legal but i am not really prepared to buy a whole new bike just for a spin with the dog :lol: :jap:

Surayu, as Guzzi mentioned, mounting a sidecar on your bike will make it an illegal Rig really. The only time to make this legal is on new registration ...it is impossible to just add it later and update the green Book. Even Tiger can't do that- there are inquiries of some people wishing to add sidecars to their already registered retro , but it is simply not possible .

You should probably try the setup from Katabeachbum for transporting a Dog....

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

You should probably try the setup from Katabeachbum for transporting a Dog....

:cheesy: thanks...i think i might have to stay on the darkside on this then, the thing is that i like to be able to see the 4 legged friend easily and maybe have a chat with him during the ride :D ok maybe not this last bit , however i am going to enquire about an easily detacheable sidecar and i hope this at least, in mechanical terms, can be achieved :)

I just had a visit in my house by 2 nice guys from the Tiger factory 1/2 a hour ago, one of them a manager. The mechanic did a test drive and told me that only the bike rear brake is working properly (which I knew already). They took the front brake apart and told me that the whole interior (not only the pads) on the drum has to be changed together with the sidecar drum. Sadly they couldn't speak very good English and my wife can't speak technical English so I am not quite sure what the problem is.

They will come back Monday with replacement parts, free of charge. Sadly I will already have left the Kingdom for work at that time so I can't report back soon how it went.

Thumbs up for Tiger for good service.

The wheel on a sidecar needs less braking power compared to the rear wheel brake, otherwise the vehicle becomes unstable, possible very dangerous as the motorcycle wants to move left without losing enough momentum making it possible that you flip over...........at Honda they tested a Honda Scoopy-i with a sidecar, and found that if all brakes worked 100% the bike with sidecar was a death trap, the whole vehicle became stable while braking when the sidecar wheel didn't brake (what isn't exactly acceptable with the Thai law) so braking power on the sidecar was limited until the whole thing became acceptable safe........

That makes a lot of sense - in which case, ignore my idea of a second hand-brake lever unless you are going for a bit of sidecar speedway (anti-clockwise only)!!