Thaksin Passes The Point Of No Return : Anand

webfact

His analysis of Thaksin's position whilst interesting and in the main fairly accurate is one thing. The propaganda nearing the end of the article ,however, is disappointing! An independent kingdom for nearly 800 years... What utter nonsense. Continually cultivating this myth only highlights how weak the position of the political classes truly is!

Thailand has been conquered many times over the past 800 years albeit they would have everyone believe otherwise.

There are many wonderful people in the realm but the majority have only their own selfish interests at heart.

I have lived and worked for several years in Indonesia and whilst they are overwhelmingly Muslim the average Indonesian would leave the average Thai for dead in terms of honesty, integrity and almost every other facet of life that we causcasians hold dear.

Thailand has never contributed one single thing on the world stage "if you take out jasmin rice and the oldest profession in the world"

Thai's in general (the majority of the lower classes if you will) are totally ignorant of any of the worlds histories.

The average Thai cannot show you on a map where most provinces in Thailand are, let alone where Burma, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia are.

Until Thailand developes an education system that educates it's people as to how they fit into the world's demographics, and how the rest of the developed world see them they will go nowhere.

Why is it that it is so difficult to get a visa for a Thai women to enter any developed country compared to the passport holders of countries of the 1st world (and other 3rd world countries)

Why is it that 50% of the photographs and telephone numbers pasted in the phone boxes on Edgeware Road of the girls selling their flesh are Thai's. And Edgeware Road is but one example.

Thailand is like a soccer team or rugby team who "think" that they can win but do not have the moral fortitude of going on to the field knowing that they can win.

Do you think that Manny Pacquiao goes into the ring thinking he can beat his opponent.

When Manny Pacquiao goes into the ring he knows that he is going to beat his oppponent

Edited by krakatoa

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the government model suggested by Khun Moresomeki would do little to sooth the red shirts belief that the government is made up of elites - or have I missed a US president in the last 50 years who was not a millionaire? and I only draw the line at 50 because I'm not sure about Eisenhower.

Yes i agree most of the US president were whealthy but few were billionaires , unlike Thaksin which the red shirts follow .

So its not a question of PM rich or not

If they removed Thaksin of it all I would be supportive of their (redshirt) cause , except the class war bullshit which has

been suggested to them by T anyway .

Now what i said is on the stability of governement question , any PM needs that to do a proper job to

help them . Now of course it depends if the PM is good or not but then chance are that if he is elected

by 40 millions ppl rather then 40,000 he would be more capable . And kind of hard to bribe 20 millions voters

by the way

The root of the problem as you know is that they elect a MP , who often pays them for that , and once

elected the MP dont give a dam_n about them . Those MP choose among themselves who will be the PM as i understand it .

And currently with the coalition system PM are shortly in power more often then not

Its a self sustaining mess

Edited by moresomekl

Is this the same Anand as the one who was installed by Gen Suchinda as a civilian PM after the coup in the early 90s? And the same one who then awarded a multi billion baht concession to Telecom Asia (now True). The same Telecom Asia that made Gen Suchinda its Chairman when he was outed from power.

Obviously no conflicts of interest or favouritism there then. :)

Isn't Suchinda honorary chairman from CP? I think you're confusing something here.

Is this the same Anand as the one who was installed by Gen Suchinda as a civilian PM after the coup in the early 90s? And the same one who then awarded a multi billion baht concession to Telecom Asia (now True). The same Telecom Asia that made Gen Suchinda its Chairman when he was outed from power.

Isn't Suchinda honorary chairman from CP? I think you're confusing something here.

As we can see the only loyalty most of these guys have on all sides is the mighty $$$$$$$$

Nope, nothing confused this is the same Gen Suchinda who was responsible a coup and for 'Black May' but who received a Royal Pardon for his crimes and then became Chairman of TA.

But TA was part of CP Group. And Abhisit's father is also a Director of CP. Virachai Virameteekul is an executive of CP group and a business tycoon in his own right. He also happens to have a seat in Abhisit's Cabinet. He isnt a MP and wasnt elected by anyone, yet is still in the government's inner circle.

Purely coincidence that CP were reported to have been providing 'assistance' to PAD during the airport takeover that led to Abhisit getting into power.

So no conflict of interest or favouritism there either.

the government model suggested by Khun Moresomeki would do little to sooth the red shirts belief that the government is made up of elites - or have I missed a US president in the last 50 years who was not a millionaire? and I only draw the line at 50 because I'm not sure about Eisenhower.

What about Jimmy Carter? 1977 to 1981. He was a peanut farmer and former US Navy officer... Actually it does say wealthy peanut farmer... Whatever that means. Eisenhower was an Ex US Army General, his father was a mechanic and manager, his mother a deeply religious pacifist, so probably not rich..

Edited by Jimi007

Nope, nothing confused this is the same Gen Suchinda who was responsible a coup and for 'Black May' but who received a Royal Pardon for his crimes and then became Chairman of TA.

But TA was part of CP Group. And Abhisit's father is also a Director of CP. Virachai Virameteekul is an executive of CP group and a business tycoon in his own right. He also happens to have a seat in Abhisit's Cabinet. He isnt a MP and wasnt elected by anyone, yet is still in the government's inner circle.

Purely coincidence that CP were reported to have been providing 'assistance' to PAD during the airport takeover that led to Abhisit getting into power.

Ooooh, now now. How on earth could business be at the centre of anything in Thai politics. Even stranger CP was in TRT also. They are all conflicted on all sides, there is no ethos, only favours given and owed be it in influence or money.

There are conflicts of interest in ALL of the major political protagonists.

Anand is a member of the Trilateral Commission and the International Advisory Board of American International Group (AIG). Anand is a member of the Carlyle Group and sits on the Carlyle Group's advisory board for Asia-Pacific.

He is a member of the Club of Madrid. Anand is also a Member of the Global Leadership Foundation, an organization which works to promote good governance around the world.

He has also served as UNICEF Ambassador for Thailand since 1996. During November 2003 and December 2004, Anand was requested by then United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan to chair the High-Level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change of the United Nations. The panel of former presidents, prime ministers and scholars was tasked to prepare recommendations for possible UN reform.

Suchinda was given employmetn in CP in 1992 read here

ah; well as long as it is a palatable accusation, anything will do - red shirt style....

... strategy did not work with Thai people as in many people's views, he is corrupt person and has flaws in his character.
well, same phrase could be said about many of the characters "starring" on the last two coups (military and not)...

17 coups since WWII , only one PM that could accomplish a full term

correction!... not only in the last two...

Anand's administration proved a more hard-working one that those of his predecessors.[10] The administration worked on its task of implementing a long list of much-needed reforms. Its emphasis on education, public health, exports, agriculture, industry, environment and improvement in living conditions, met with widespread approval. In a Bangkok poll in late July, 1991, 61 percent of respondents felt that the Anand government was more honest than previous administrations.[17]

Wish they can find a PM like him . Problem is those top notch ppl are business ppl not at all interested in political power , (whats the salary of a PM compared to a CEO if the PM is honest ? ) and he was a reluctant PM .

In any case if a PM is a business-man and mix it with the search for political power its catastrophic as the case of Mr T has prooven

Its a case of confused loyalties . either you serve the ppl or you serve your business

Edited by moresomekl

In fairness you should also mention Thaksins business links to coup generals from that period and how CP were actually one of TRTs biggest partners and how Suchinda was one of the most outspoken vocal defenders of the Thaksin government (and later Samak one) against the PAD. Intricate circles that tie all together

In a Bangkok poll in late July, 1991, 61 percent of respondents felt that the Anand government was more honest than previous administrations.

Another way to look at it is that a despite only being in power for 5 months, so still in a honeymoon period and the previous governments being either military dictatorships and Choonavan's 'Buffet Cabinet' over a third of respondents polled felt the Anand government was less honest than them. Hardly a ringing endorsement

What about Jimmy Carter? 1977 to 1981. He was a peanut farmer and former US Navy officer... Actually it does say wealthy peanut farmer... Whatever that means. Eisenhower was an Ex US Army General, his father was a mechanic and manager, his mother a deeply religious pacifist, so probably not rich..

Right !

In a Bangkok poll in late July, 1991, 61 percent of respondents felt that the Anand government was more honest than previous administrations.

Another way to look at it is that a despite only being in power for 5 months, so still in a honeymoon period and the previous governments being either military dictatorships and Choonavan's 'Buffet Cabinet' over a third of respondents polled felt the Anand government was less honest than them. Hardly a ringing endorsement

Another one : Anand, closely linked to the palace and held in respect by both the bureaucracy and the business community, proved acceptable to the people and the international community. He was regarded as being astute and disciplined, and had never been associated with any financial scandal.[10]

More then i can say about the red billionaire or most MPs . Anyway no one is perfect . Just hope that someone who has the cause of the poor ppl at heart and who is not a crook serving his own interest can be PM . Abhisit perhaps ?

His analysis of Thaksin's position whilst interesting and in the main fairly accurate is one thing. The propaganda nearing the end of the article ,however, is disappointing! An independent kingdom for nearly 800 years... What utter nonsense. Continually cultivating this myth only highlights how weak the position of the political classes truly is!

:) Don't count thaksin out. He will return!!!

:D Don't count thaksin out. He will return!!!

In a box ... :)

To quote Krakatoa

"I have lived and worked for several years in Indonesia and whilst they are overwhelmingly Muslim the average Indonesian would leave the average Thai for dead in terms of honesty, integrity and almost every other facet of life that we causcasians hold dear."

What does their being Muslim have to do with anything. You make it sound like a shock that they can be Muslim AND be honest, have integrity etc

Edited by Throatwobbler

If I'm not mistaken, Anand is the person who headed the team that drew up what later became the "beloved" Constitution of 1997. I think that is the same Constitution that the Red Shirts want to see implemented once again. So - they face an interesting dilemma in trying to disown Anand's views.

Edited by Indo-Siam

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra posted a message on his Twitter page Wednesday afternoon that he is not well and needed an injection.

He posted the message at 3:45 pm on www.thaksinlive.com , saying: "Today, I received an injection from my doctor so that I will be able to talk to you, my people, sooner. Please accept my apology that I became ill during this crucial moment. Please be strong and united."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 24/03/2010

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

hmm, not sure what he's up too. Millions of people are not well because of Mr Thaksin and his thugs.

Or maybe he's radiant like the case we saw in the UK where one got killed by Russians spiking radiant material in his drink?

To quote Krakatoa

"I have lived and worked for several years in Indonesia and whilst they are overwhelmingly Muslim the average Indonesian would leave the average Thai for dead in terms of honesty, integrity and almost every other facet of life that we causcasians hold dear."

What does their being Muslim have to do with anything. You make it sound like a shock that they can be Muslim AND be honest, have integrity etc

Alilalo

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra posted a message on his Twitter page Wednesday afternoon that he is not well and needed an injection.

He posted the message at 3:45 pm on www.thaksinlive.com , saying: "Today, I received an injection from my doctor so that I will be able to talk to you, my people, sooner. Please accept my apology that I became ill during this crucial moment. Please be strong and united."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 24/03/2010

hmm, not sure what he's up too. Millions of people are not well because of Mr Thaksin and his thugs.

Or maybe he's radiant like the case we saw in the UK where one got killed by Russians spiking radiant material in his drink?

Well if he becomes phosphorescent , he''ll get a few more converts :)

I've just been told by my wife that her family in the country is being told, by the red tv channel(whatver that is) that villagers are being told they will receive B500,000 if thaksin returns to thailand, they all believe it too <snip>

The lies are becoming a joke but the villagers still believe everything the red channel is spouting, worrying.

Thaksin has passed the point of no return in my eyes.

That is how he got elected. Promised money to the villages. No downside - he loses, he does not pay - he wins, he pays from Govt coffers. The guy is ... well its all been said.

I've just been told by my wife that her family in the country is being told, by the red tv channel(whatver that is) that villagers are being told they will receive B500,000 if thaksin returns to thailand, they all believe it too <snip>

The lies are becoming a joke but the villagers still believe everything the red channel is spouting, worrying.

Before talking more bu**sh** you should look once to People’s Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

Then you will see that Buddhist abbots and monks support the cause of the underprivileged, the same way many bishops and priests did, often at the risk of their own life.

Today it is exactly 30 years ago that Monsignor Óscar Romero was assassinated in San Salvador (El Salvador).

:D Don't count thaksin out. He will return!!!

In a box ... :)

Maybe a pastry box, he seems to like cake with his Latte.

:D

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 24/03/2010

Well if he becomes phosphorescent , he''ll get a few more converts :)

Well then, perhaps he can come back in a useful role after all. As a fuel rod in Thailand's first nuclear power station.

Although Anand is a nice and sensible man, we should not forget that he has been appointed two times by the establishment after a coup to be an interim prime minister. It is therefore understandable that Anand do not seem to understand how the majority of Thai people think about Thaksin. Anand is part of the establishment and as such biased.

Before talking more bu**sh** you should look once to People’s Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

Then you will see that Buddhist abbots and monks support the cause of the underprivileged, the same way many bishops and priests did, often at the risk of their own life.

Today it is exactly 30 years ago that Monsignor Óscar Romero was assassinated in San Salvador (El Salvador).

It's not bullsh*t it came from our family in the country. I can't see the point of your post.