The Things People Do In Thailand To Save Money

patong

I once knew a man, that would do anything to save money.

one example, i see him riding along the road at night and noticed the lights on his moped was off or not working.

so i caught up with him and said, your lights are not working, to his reply no i have turned them off, it saves the fuel so saves me money.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine jumped on the baht bus with me for a short ride. When the fare collection lady came around, he waved her off. He got off shortly after that without paying 8 baht. Think she let him go because he's an older guy. Now he denies ever doing it.

No different than the UK.

On Saturday, of this week, almost 50% of the population are switching all their lights and house power OFF, apart from their Telivisions, we are going Green. lol

Edited by TEFLMike

My experience is they do a lot of things that waste money, ie buying cooked food instead of cooking, riding the motor bike short distances where they could easily walk, then there is all the religious offerings, I could list a lot more.

so i caught up with him and said, your lights are not working, to his reply no i have turned them off, it saves the fuel so saves me money.

Don't the lights on a motocy work from an alternator same like in a car?

Doesnt need a alternator some force to work, probably from the engine, otherwise you just have discovered the perpetum mobile. :)

Don't the lights on a motocy work from an alternator same like in a car?

Doesnt need a alternator some force to work, probably from the engine, otherwise you just have discovered the perpetum mobile. :)

Even Thai's know that LOL

• Like 1

an acquaintance used to eat one 40baht dish a day in a particular "restaurant" because they served free water. he would also go next door to a friends bar and get ice from there as the "restaurant" charged 10bahet per bucket.

as for me... i stopped drinking and having "one night stands"

• Like 1

If i wanted to save money i would have to start eating out instead of cooking myself. I cook myself and it is more expensive then at the restaurants in this village. Truth be said i use a lot more meat and more expensive and healthy ingredients. I just don't believe in saving on healthy food. I also make sure i get enough vitamins and buy quality fruit (the 50-60 baht oranges instead of the 30 baht ones) You just taste the difference, i buy them at markets where there is a lot of competition so you know the expensive fruit is really better and not marked up to look better.

To save money i leave the aircon off during the day and use a fan. I think it is almost as good, but on really hot days i forget about saving money and just turn it on.

The easiest way to save money IMHO is not drinking and visiting bar's. I have an ok budget and save a lot every month but that is partly because my gf pays half of most costs. I can imagine its a lot different for the guy with "rent a wife"

I could save a lot to change bike's my big bike just guzzles benzine at an alarming rate but i just love the way it drives and you should not save on everything you should have some nice things left.

I once saw a bloke take a bar of soap and wash himself in the sea, the daftest part is that it was Pattaya beach :)

I honestly think he was mad though

note to self: shower with the wife everyday :D

Edited by wobblyjohn
  • Like 1

Friend of mine had a girl overnight say she wanted money to buy shampoo and a few other toiletries. He instantly ran out of the room to the maid's cart, grabbed a handful of shampoo and soap, and then proclaimed "You don't have to go shopping. There's plenty of free stuff here."

Your talking about people that are mean with themselves here, the people that have large amounts of money but live their lives as if they were on the bread line, they go through their whole lives saving for the future, these people are never going to die, they will spend their whole lives living as a poor person has to.

Their bank books will have to be prized from their dead frozen fingers. it's very sad but they are the biggest loosers acquiring the money to enjoy themselves but never being able to do so :)

• Like 1

Friend of mine had a girl overnight say she wanted money to buy shampoo and a few other toiletries. He instantly ran out of the room to the maid's cart, grabbed a handful of shampoo and soap, and then proclaimed "You don't have to go shopping. There's plenty of free stuff here."

Haha, nice one. :D

------> always takes home a stash of toiletries from hotels :)

Your talking about people that are mean with themselves here, the people that have large amounts of money but live their lives as if they were on the bread line, they go through their whole lives saving for the future, these people are never going to die, they will spend their whole lives living as a poor person has to.

Their bank books will have to be prized from their dead frozen fingers. it's very sad but they are the biggest loosers acquiring the money to enjoy themselves but never being able to do so :)

Hey watch it! You're talking about some of my best friends... Besides when the bank books are "pried from their dead frozen fingers", I plan to be the first in line! :D

we also save a lot because my wife won't let me keep a mia noi :)

:D :D :D

I also heard that the Russians down here in Pattaya dont like to pay for a Short time Room, they use the Beach. Witch safes again some people money as they can now buy there drink in the next 7/11 and enjoy a free show.

I once saw a bloke take a bar of soap and wash himself in the sea, the daftest part is that it was Pattaya beach :)

I honestly think he was mad though

note to self: shower with the wife everyday :D

The other day I saw an old Thai guy sitting in the Chiang Mai moat washing himself. But, that was just practical and not miserly. He probably had no other source of water.

As far as showering with wife or girl friend that doesn't save any money. If I'm showering with a woman it takes 5 times as long and then we have to shower later to clean up all the sweat. :D

I actually save money by coming to Thailand each winter. Or, at least I would if I left the ladies alone. :D

Unlike Cognos, I eat a bit cheaper at home because I supply all my own wild game meat, fish, crabs and shrimp. But, I don't go cheap on buying good vegetables. Veggies are a main portion of my meal and the meat or cheese is just a flavouring. I actually eat better at home than in Thailand. I'm a better chef.

Tell your wife that is something you can't do without :D

I could get a mia noi for free the problem is the wife won't allow it anymore. :D

Surely an oxymoron if ever there was one.

• Like 2

Tell your wife that is something you can't do without :D

I could get a mia noi for free the problem is the wife won't allow it anymore. :D

Surely an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Call it a gik then whatever can get it for free.

If i wanted to save money i would have to start eating out instead of cooking myself. I cook myself and it is more expensive then at the restaurants in this village. Truth be said i use a lot more meat and more expensive and healthy ingredients. I just don't believe in saving on healthy food. I also make sure i get enough vitamins and buy quality fruit (the 50-60 baht oranges instead of the 30 baht ones) You just taste the difference, i buy them at markets where there is a lot of competition so you know the expensive fruit is really better and not marked up to look better.

To save money i leave the aircon off during the day and use a fan. I think it is almost as good, but on really hot days i forget about saving money and just turn it on.

The easiest way to save money IMHO is not drinking and visiting bar's. I have an ok budget and save a lot every month but that is partly because my gf pays half of most costs. I can imagine its a lot different for the guy with "rent a wife"

I could save a lot to change bike's my big bike just guzzles benzine at an alarming rate but i just love the way it drives and you should not save on everything you should have some nice things left.

I enjoyed reading that. Those are all l good ideas. It sounds like your head is on straight.