The Things People Do In Thailand To Save Money

patong

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still use soap?

But if you must: many public toilets have a dispenser. Bring plastic bag.

Soap is really just soap and you can use the same stuff for body, hair, dishes, clothes. Laundry is expensive enough right now; will be at least one more month until the free-water season kicks in.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some more:

- Free condoms from the government health offices (Sathanee Anamai)

- Save on medical expenses by finding a friend with a 30 baht gold card and tell him/her to describe your symptoms to a doctor. If you can find someone on full social insurance then that'd be even better. Just need to coach them on what to say to get the good stuff.

- Stick no non-commercial sex

That would be none for most people, Winnie, married or not. :)

As long as you dont have a tennis elbow or gout in your fingers you should be fine :D

I didn't have tennis elbow until I tried to save money...

SC

Prudent fiscal management is an indication of common sense. However, the examples cited in this thread are of people, that "we" do not associate with. Just won't do, having that type of riff raff about. Should they come too close, one of my underlings will flick them away. :)

Prudent fiscal management is an indication of common sense. However, the examples cited in this thread are of people, that "we" do not associate with. Just won't do, having that type of riff raff about. Should they come too close, one of my underlings will flick them away. :)

I should refer to your men as 'my men' rather than 'underlings', in order to keep up their self-esteem. There's nothing worse than grumbling underlings.

One should indulge those less fortunate than ourselves.

Besides, one man's Prudence is another man's miserliness...

Personally, I'm proud to have always a shilling to spare, and there are more important things to save than money

SC

we also save a lot because my wife won't let me keep a mia noi :)

Tell your wife that is something you can't do without :D

I could get a mia noi for free the problem is the wife won't allow it anymore. :D

tell you wife the girl will help with the housework, see if that will fly

Cheap

Wow.. that's kinda harsh, dude. Perhaps not all of us were born wih a silver spoon in our mouths. :)

It seems to me that if you're not loaded with cash, then being thrifty and trying not to burn through the little that you have (so you can stay with the one that you love as long as posible before having to travel to another country where you can more easily earn more money), isn't CHEAP, it's just sensible. Cheap is when you go for lower quality or shortcuts, even when you could easily afford better.

Oh.. I would also call typing a "single word snub" (in a thread where usefull contibuters are using full sentences), as CHEAP. :D

If i wanted to save money i would have to start eating out instead of cooking myself. I cook myself and it is more expensive then at the restaurants in this village. Truth be said i use a lot more meat and more expensive and healthy ingredients. I just don't believe in saving on healthy food. I also make sure i get enough vitamins and buy quality fruit (the 50-60 baht oranges instead of the 30 baht ones) You just taste the difference, i buy them at markets where there is a lot of competition so you know the expensive fruit is really better and not marked up to look better.

To save money i leave the aircon off during the day and use a fan. I think it is almost as good, but on really hot days i forget about saving money and just turn it on.

The easiest way to save money IMHO is not drinking and visiting bar's. I have an ok budget and save a lot every month but that is partly because my gf pays half of most costs. I can imagine its a lot different for the guy with "rent a wife"

I could save a lot to change bike's my big bike just guzzles benzine at an alarming rate but i just love the way it drives and you should not save on everything you should have some nice things left.

The easiest way to save money IMHO is not drinking and visiting bar's. I have an ok budget and save a lot every month but that is partly because my gf pays half of most costs. I can imagine its a lot different for the guy with "rent a wife"

No different than rent a girl friend where does she work to afford to pay half?

I could get a mia noi for free the problem is the wife won't allow it anymore. :D

Thanks .. .good idea.. im sure it will work :D

I saw a lady (young) in Tesco Lotus last week. She wanted grapes. They are sold by the bunch on the stalk as we know.

She had got a small Tesco bag and proceded to finger through the entire lot and picked them off the stalk, one by one, carefully inspecting each grape and put the ones she approved of in the bag. I think it was an economy measure, otherwise she was a sadling.

Needless to say I did not buy grapes that day.

P.S. She was European. I don't think English.

Edited by chimsa

Your talking about people that are mean with themselves here, the people that have large amounts of money but live their lives as if they were on the bread line, they go through their whole lives saving for the future, these people are never going to die, they will spend their whole lives living as a poor person has to.

Their bank books will have to be prized from their dead frozen fingers. it's very sad but they are the biggest loosers acquiring the money to enjoy themselves but never being able to do so :)

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death! You only get one shot!!..... Unless you’re a Buddhist"

Your talking about people that are mean with themselves here, the people that have large amounts of money but live their lives as if they were on the bread line, they go through their whole lives saving for the future, these people are never going to die, they will spend their whole lives living as a poor person has to.

Their bank books will have to be prized from their dead frozen fingers. it's very sad but they are the biggest loosers acquiring the money to enjoy themselves but never being able to do so :)

Could not be further from the truth. Are you aware that you can make money with money ? The more money you have, the sooner you can stop working. I feel sorry for losers that waste all their money and never get ahead. They are just like a poor person, they have no assets, they have no cash and they always have to worry about keeping a job.

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death! You only get one shot!!..... Unless you're a Buddhist"

I am going to be the one with 200,000 dollars invested, working for me while I sit on the beach. You are going to be the one busting your a$$ working all day for money just to go out and waste it.

i also knew a man, with two big water storage tanks so the rain water, would fill them from the roof.

also a storage water tank underground which filled from the mains, so he had lots of water stored.

when it would rain him and his wife would stand out side collecting rain water in anything they could find.

they would only flush the toilet, on doing a number 2. he said they have not paid a water bill in years

Edited by patong

ANY hungry ducks in your soi?

Thanks .. .good idea.. im sure it will work :D

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death! You only get one shot!!..... Unless you're a Buddhist"

I am going to be the one with 200,000 dollars invested, working for me while I sit on the beach. You are going to be the one busting your a$$ working all day for money just to go out and waste it.

Edited by tigerfish

Could not be further from the truth. Are you aware that you can make money with money ? The more money you have, the sooner you can stop working. I feel sorry for losers that waste all their money and never get ahead. They are just like a poor person, they have no assets, they have no cash and they always have to worry about keeping a job.

But surely you are a bigger loser if as undercover has said you live like a pauper to attain wealth and then when you have indeed attained your dream of wealth you continue to live like a pauper never to enjoy the fruits of your frugal living?? I am not saying this applies to you personally and if you intend to enjoy the fruits of your labour one day then the very best of luck to you,but there are indeed many people out there who's lives have fallen into this trap.For them enough is never enough.The money growing in there bank accounts is like a drug and although it will not kill them like a drug it will indeed still be there for someone of a more spendthrift nature to enjoy long after they are gone. At least a so called loser has had some enjoyment spending his money ...what enjoyment has the so called "winner" had who dies with all his treasure securely locked up in the bank vault whilst living the whole of his life as a miser.Who is the real loser in this senario? It is also very important to remember that wealth in life is not just about money although I acknowledge to be financially comfortable certainly helps..

Edited by brizzle
  • Like 2

I am going to be the one with 200,000 dollars invested, working for me while I sit on the beach. You are going to be the one busting your a$$ working all day for

money just to go out and waste it.

200,000 dollars invested, come on this is not a lot of money, what return would you get on that, 200,000 dollars, not enough to sit on the beach relaxing.

Edited by patong

200,000 dollars invested, come on this is not a lot of money, what return would you get on that, 200,000 dollars, not enough to sit on the beach relaxing.

Their bank books will have to be prized from their dead frozen fingers. it's very sad but they are the biggest loosers acquiring the money to enjoy themselves but never being able to do so :D

Don't discourage him patong. Why one day he may be promoted from the burger flipper and become Assistant Manager. Just watch his nest egg rise to a cool quarter million! :)

Don't discourage him patong. Why one day he may be promoted from the burger flipper and become Assistant Manager. Just watch his nest egg rise to a cool quarter million! :)

smokie36, maybe he was flipping burger all his life, to make soooo much money.

I am going to be the one with 200,000 dollars invested, working for me while I sit on the beach. You are going to be the one busting your a$ working all day for

its enough if your cheap, I will admit it would be the bare minimum but lets say 350,000 then. You could get 1600 dollars a month off 200,000.

I am going to be the one with 200,000 dollars invested, working for me while I sit on the beach. You are going to be the one busting your a$ working all day for

its enough if your cheap, I will admit it would be the bare minimum but lets say 350,000 then. You could get 1600 dollars a month off 200,000.

are you saying on 200.000 dollars your return a month is 1.600 dollars, how did you work that out?

Edited by patong

I used to think 250 in Sterling would be enough. Now I'm thinking double that figure and you'll never touch the principle asuming one doesn't get a rush of blood to the head and start co-habiting.

My Problem is I am addicted to work. The upside is, I've never had to worry about money since 2006. It helped that coming to thailand reduced my outgoings by a ridiculous factor, But I like the new "cheap" me.