How To Prevent Mites And Ticks?

Everyday I walk with my dog on the "parkinglot" of my condo three times since there is no where else to go nearby. It's all cement and tiles but nevertheless her feet get stuffed with mites and ticks. The doctor gives her this injection below but I doubt this is healthy to often. Does anyone know how often you can give this to your dogs? What is everybody else doing to prevent their dogs from getting this? I only have a small room and I won't be letting her out the door anymore when this continues.

Product_36395_824095879_fullsize.jpg

Edited by Crypt36

Frontline Spot-On is the obvious answer, though it's not 100% effective for ticks. But it must be a pretty small dog if you can exercise it only in the parking lot of your condo.... hence my suggestion that you carry it over that bit and walk it properly elsewhere. It's really the best answer.

You put Spot-On on the back of the neck once every 2-3 months; it spreads all over the body within 24 hours, so they say. It certainly keeps fleas off, but I doubt whether it will deal with a major infestation of ticks.

Edited by isanbirder

Ticks are a pain but i think you do more damage to a dog by keeping it couped up 24/7. Dogs by nature need proper exercise and need to get out of their own territory to explore and smell. Without this dogs become neurotic and unbalanced.

Apply Frontline and check your dog daily. That's all you can do.

Whatever happened to flea collars? Are they just not effective in Thailand? Or were they ever effective? Or are they dangerous? Decades ago when I lived in the states my pets always had flea collars, I can't seem to find any here!

Whatever happened to flea collars? Are they just not effective in Thailand? Or were they ever effective? Or are they dangerous? Decades ago when I lived in the states my pets always had flea collars, I can't seem to find any here!

Where i live in Thailand fleas have never been a big problem. Seems like ticks thrive on the tropical climes more.

Where i live in Thailand fleas have never been a big problem. Seems like ticks thrive on the tropical climes more.

I use Frontline Spray, i feel it is more effective than spot on, and haven't seen a tick for a while. I also have a Preventic Fela collar. No scratching or biting....

Works for her, and she is a lot happier....

Faisal

I use Frontline Spray, i feel it is more effective than spot on, and haven't seen a tick for a while. I also have a Preventic Fela collar. No scratching or biting....

Works for her, and she is a lot happier....

Faisal

Spray or spot-on depends largely on the length of the dog's coat. I suspect OP's 'mites' are in fact 'mat'(=fleas).

Exercise is important , and probably helps to keep the dog's skin healthy, and therefore fewer fleas and ticks. I have seen flea-collars here, but I don't think they work for ticks, which are a far worse problem .

She has never had fleas before. She did have ticks a while back but it's the mites what is the problem. Just those horrible little mites. They're too small, I can't get them off her, I can't spot them in her fur?! I need something that kills those rotten mites! Something I can put her feet in after walking what will kill their eggs and themselves. I already wash her feet every time but that doesn't help.

Crypt36, my apologies for an attempted reinterpretation of your 'mites'; I though it was a failure in communication from your vet. Now I know exactly what you're talking about... those little almost globular things which are an early stage of tick development. Yes, Frontline's the thing. I don't know what your dog is, but the Frontline must reach the skin, where it sinks in and provides long-term protection. If the dog is long-haired or has dense hair, you need Spot-On. If it is almost hairless, the spray is fine. I once had to deal with a major infestation of ticks when I had an Alsatian (I could pick 100 off him any day), and Frontline dealt with it.

My cat will love that! Will try Frontline as well... She had the injection as well as Revolution drops in her neck but I took off another 20 this morning nevertheless...

Crypt36, my apologies for an attempted reinterpretation of your 'mites'; I though it was a failure in communication from your vet. Now I know exactly what you're talking about... those little almost globular things which are an early stage of tick development. Yes, Frontline's the thing. I don't know what your dog is, but the Frontline must reach the skin, where it sinks in and provides long-term protection. If the dog is long-haired or has dense hair, you need Spot-On. If it is almost hairless, the spray is fine. I once had to deal with a major infestation of ticks when I had an Alsatian (I could pick 100 off him any day), and Frontline dealt with it.

I use Frontline, we live in a rural village with chickens, cattle and other people's dogs all over the place. I am begining to see ticks on the other dogs in the village, mine remain clear but I inspect every day after walking. My personal belive is the bedding area of your dog/s. When sleeping on tile or concrete (when we lived in a city) they had more ticks than they do now sleeping on rough ground, earth, or the doggie fox holes they dig. I picked about three fleas off of one of mine the other day - his brother totally clear.

They swim most days in a river, roll in cattle @#$% and get showered every 6 months or so. But they are brushed every day, short fur.

HTH.

One of the strangest things about tick infestation is that some dogs seem more liable to it than others. When I had the bad infestation on an Alsatian, my other dog was hardly affected.

If Frontline doesn't completely clear the ticks the first time you apply it, a second application may be necessary a few days later; this doesn't hurt the dog.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sorry it are ticks! I didn't know they could be so small.... I managed to find 60 on my dog yesterday and today...

Crypt36,

I stumbled on a perfect remedy 18 mnths ago. I now don't have a single tick on either of my two dogs. Find an agricultural chemical store selling Ascend. Can be bought in 250 or 600 ml sizes (subject to change!!!)

When you wash pooch, add a cap full to rinse water. Do your second to final rinse with hose water, then one single rinse with 10-15 liters of water with the cap full of Ascend in the water. My fella has been 100% free of tick since the day I started. Before I had tried collars, Ivermectim was not an option as he's a Border Collie (one of very few in Thailand).

The effect is so thorougher, our entire rai yard has gone from being a tick farm to not a single one know. They've walked off!!!! At one stage they were jumping off the ceiling when they smelt the presence of the dog. They would land on me when watching TV. Not fun!! But that is completely behind us.

For others out there, Ascend happens to have similar ingredients to frontline, but it is much better in that you can rinse wash every day. Frontline is poor one, get it wrong and it is not that effective. Ascend as a rinse is complete. It also ensures better prenetration. The other is Cost. 500 baht lasts for 4 to 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Have a tick collar for the Soi dog that adopted me.

He also wants to go out 6 AM every morning.

When he comes back he's sandy so I guess he goes for a morning swim at the beach 300 m. away

No ticks, no fleas, just a happy dog.

BTW he's name is Happy. :)

I'm sorry it are ticks! I didn't know they could be so small.... I managed to find 60 on my dog yesterday and today...

Crypt36,

I stumbled on a perfect remedy 18 mnths ago. I now don't have a single tick on either of my two dogs. Find an agricultural chemical store selling Ascend. Can be bought in 250 or 600 ml sizes (subject to change!!!)

When you wash pooch, add a cap full to rinse water. Do your second to final rinse with hose water, then one single rinse with 10-15 liters of water with the cap full of Ascend in the water. My fella has been 100% free of tick since the day I started. Before I had tried collars, Ivermectim was not an option as he's a Border Collie (one of very few in Thailand).

The effect is so thorougher, our entire rai yard has gone from being a tick farm to not a single one know. They've walked off!!!! At one stage they were jumping off the ceiling when they smelt the presence of the dog. They would land on me when watching TV. Not fun!! But that is completely behind us.

For others out there, Ascend happens to have similar ingredients to frontline, but it is much better in that you can rinse wash every day. Frontline is poor one, get it wrong and it is not that effective. Ascend as a rinse is complete. It also ensures better prenetration. The other is Cost. 500 baht lasts for 4 to 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

just got back from our vet with lilee (long story will do other thread) but he also mentioned that here, in israel, frontline is no longer effective at all... everyone is complaining that the drops dont work: large dogs, small dogs, furry dogs, smooth dogs, outdoor and indoor dogs... they are all getting ticks. just went and bought collars for all three. btw, best solution is the stuff used in chickens houses a powder to put on , but doesnt suit homes with small children or dogs sleep in your bed. good for farm and outdoor dogs.

bina

israel

Crypt36,

Is this stuff available in Thailand?

If so, could you kindly post a picture of the bottle so a non-Thia speaking Farang can try to find it.

Cheers

Crypt36,

Is this stuff available in Thailand?

If so, could you kindly post a picture of the bottle so a non-Thia speaking Farang can try to find it.

Cheers

BUMP