Cm Tottenham Hotspurs - Spurs Fc Supporters Club

iancnx

The Spurs have always been a favourite team of mine - but there again I was brought up on Danny Blanchflower, John White, Cliff Jones, Dave Mackay et al. I still think the Spurs of that era was one of the greatest teams I've ever seen. As a youngster I'd get the Spurs coach from Shoreditch Church to the ground for a shilling. Sometimes I'd get the train from Liverpool Street to White Hart Lane. Later I drove and it was a bloody awful place to park. I've done that drive, Kingsland Rd - Stamford Hill - Tottenham High Road, more times than I care to recall, but they were great times and I saw some fantastic football there over the years.

Going past the Tottenham Royal (is it still there?) always reminded me of my earlier days when I had 'pulling' power, but I always picked the one that lived in Cheshunt or Ware!.......happy days. :)

Edit: Good luck with your venue, I'll pop along when it gets going.

Edited by uptheos

Blimey never thought I'd see Cheshunt mentioned on these hallowed pages. Spent me first 20 years living there.

Missed the glory years but Mackay was still playing when I first went and was there the night he broke his leg around 67. Also used to frequent the Royal along with the British Queen at Tottenham and the Horse and Groom and Cross Keys in Edmonton but long time ago now.

Why don't you just say, "but congratulations anyway on the Jew's getting their own bar?"

You have lost me a bit there uptheos, are you saying it's ok to call us the jews but not ok to call us the 4 by 2's which is basicly the same.

Calling us the jews is all part of the football banter that goes about and i can't really see that being a problem but everyone to their own :)

Why don't you just say, "but congratulations anyway on the Jew's getting their own bar?"

You have lost me a bit there uptheos, are you saying it's ok to call us the jews but not ok to call us the 4 by 2's which is basicly the same.

Calling us the jews is all part of the football banter that goes about and i can't really see that being a problem but everyone to their own :)

No, what I am saying is that neither is really necessary. Four by two's is a very derogatory slang term of referring to Jews. No different than referring to someone who is black as a spade or gollie.

Being part of football banter doesn't mean that anyone else won't be offended.

Anyway, I'm all for freedom of speech and it's reassuring to know that we can use derogatory slang on this site without intervention.

Now back to the Lilywhites. :D

No, I'm not referring to 'yid'. 'A fistful of spades' equates to your use of derogatory slang 4 by two's (Jews). OK... 'a group of four by two's have just walked in'

All I can say is I spent 15 years living in Sarf London and 4 by 2 was merely rhyming slang for Jew. It wasn't derogatory at all - any more than Bubble means Greek. It's merely Cockney speech. As I said, Spurs have a long Jewish tradition that pertains to the present day and many Spurs fans are happy to draw attention to the fact.

The facts now are that, in order to draw attention to a non derogatory term, you have chosen to use a term which most people would find very derogatory in describing Millwall.

I guess 'uptheos' is a 'reference to the fact that you support Orient. So we shouldn't expect too much of a contribution from you!!

No, I'm not referring to 'yid'. 'A fistful of spades' equates to your use of derogatory slang 4 by two's (Jews). OK... 'a group of four by two's have just walked in'

All I can say is I spent 15 years living in Sarf London and 4 by 2 was merely rhyming slang for Jew. It wasn't derogatory at all - any more than Bubble means Greek. It's merely Cockney speech. As I said, Spurs have a long Jewish tradition that pertains to the present day and many Spurs fans are happy to draw attention to the fact.

The facts now are that, in order to draw attention to a non derogatory term, you have chosen to use a term which most people would find very derogatory in describing Millwall.

I guess 'uptheos' is a 'reference to the fact that you support Orient. So we shouldn't expect too much of a contribution from you!!

You don't need to defend yourself - anti semitism comes in many guises......though I guess 'a lot of your friends are'............

As a 100% cockney - I stand by the term Four by Two's as being very derogatory and I would have expected better from a Pub owner and TV sponsor.

Now back to The Lilywhites

Blimey never thought I'd see Cheshunt mentioned on these hallowed pages. Spent me first 20 years living there.

Missed the glory years but Mackay was still playing when I first went and was there the night he broke his leg around 67. Also used to frequent the Royal along with the British Queen at Tottenham and the Horse and Groom and Cross Keys in Edmonton but long time ago now.

I think Spurs had or have their training ground at Cheshunt.

Dave Mackay was the hardest man I've ever seen - he would eat the likes of Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter for breakfast. John White was a magician with a football and creating space that seemed impossible - hence his nickname 'the ghost' - it was a tragic loss to the game when he died so young.

I notice you have a fish in your arms - you never caught that on The Lea at Cheshunt or Broxbourne did you? :)

You don't need to defend yourself - anti semitism comes in many guises......though I guess 'a lot of your friends are'............

As a 100% cockney - I stand by the term Four by Two's as being very derogatory and I would have expected better from a Pub owner and TV sponsor.

Well it must have different meanings north and south of the river. I'm not anti semitic or anti anyone, except at this precise moment, Orient fans. No offence was meant and, seemingly none taken except by you.

Well it must have different meanings north and south of the river. I'm not anti semitic or anti anyone, except at this precise moment, Orient fans. No offence was meant and, seemingly none taken except by you.

Nice try Pedr.....you've declared your hand, 'in spades'.

As far as I can see only alfieconn has made a remark concerning this, since you made the statement - not exactly an overwhelming number. How do you know who you have and have not offended? Racial and stereotypical slurs offend many people, but few say anything because they know once a bigot is found out, they will do their damned hardest to turn the tables rather than admit their prejudice.

Edited by uptheos

You guys should get a room somewhere. :)

This bickering is no advertisement for football, or British supporters of the game. All these pixels could have been spent debating the upcoming spectacles involving Man U vs Bayern, and Arsenal vs Barça. You know, actual football, the competition that Spurs should be in next year. Not the handbags stuff surrounding it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

As far as I can see only alfieconn has made a remark concerning this, since you made the statement - not exactly an overwhelming number. How do you know who you have and have not offended? Racial and stereotypical slurs offend many people, but few say anything because they know once a bigot is found out, they will do their damned hardest to turn the tables rather than admit their prejudice.

I have no idea why you have deliberately engineered this spat, but that's what you've surely done.

TV readers should know that 'Spade' is a very derogatory term for a black person. and uptheos has for some reason chosen to denigrade black people in a sorry attempt to demonstrate his erroneous view that I am in some way anti semitic. A strange use of language for someone who is trying to demonstrate that I am a bigot!

Edited by millwall_fan

Dave Mackay was the hardest man I've ever seen - he would eat the likes of Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter for breakfast. John White was a magician with a football and creating space that seemed impossible - hence his nickname 'the ghost' - it was a tragic loss to the game when he died so young.

I notice you have a fish in your arms - you never caught that on The Lea at Cheshunt or Broxbourne did you? :)

Yes Spurs had a training ground just across the A10 on Brookfield Lane and used to wander up there on a Saturday morning to watch the youth team if I weren't working and the one player who stood out was Souness but I'm way back in early 70's now (I left in 78 never to return full time). That's one of a few we screwed up on as I don't believe he ever got a game in the first team. The training ground was sold when we went bust and is a housing estate.

Remember well the Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner bust up and only one winner there.

Fished the Lea many a time but don't belive I could ever be accused of catching much. That's actually the ghillie I use in India in the phtoto.

Right back to the house bricks.

I have no idea why you have deliberately engineered this spat, but that's what you've surely done.

TV readers should know that 'Spade' is a very derogatory term for a black person. and uptheos has for some reason chosen to denigrade black people in a sorry attempt to demonstrate his erroneous view that I am in some way anti semitic. A strange use of language for someone who is trying to demonstrate that I am a bigot!

Nice try again Pedr.....a feeble attempt at turning the tables, but not unexpected as previously stated.

TV readers should also know (and hopefully see) that my earlier reference to spades was not directed directly at anyone as was Pedr's remark. It was an example to show how derogatory the reference 'four by two's' is. It was to demonstrate an ugly comparison and both are equally offensive.

In the last statement - "you have declared your hand in spades", was perhaps unfortunate as in this case I am referring to a bridge card term. In bridge there are four suits, and they are ranked: spades (highest), hearts, diamonds and clubs (lowest).......Pedr has declared his hand in spades for all to see and I'm sure no one is fooled by his feeble effort to paint me with the same brush.

I steadfastly maintain my position that using the term four by two's on an open forum is anti semitic, very derogatory and unbecoming of a Pub owner and TV sponsor.

Now back to the Lilywhites.

Yes Spurs had a training ground just across the A10 on Brookfield Lane and used to wander up there on a Saturday morning to watch the youth team if I weren't working and the one player who stood out was Souness but I'm way back in early 70's now (I left in 78 never to return full time). That's one of a few we screwed up on as I don't believe he ever got a game in the first team. The training ground was sold when we went bust and is a housing estate.

Remember well the Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner bust up and only one winner there.

Fished the Lea many a time but don't belive I could ever be accused of catching much. That's actually the ghillie I use in India in the phtoto.

Right back to the house bricks.

You are right, what a mistake letting Souness go!

I remember the Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner bust up very well and the now famous image of Mackay grabbing hold of Billy Bremner's shirt at the neck as the Leeds United player held his out his arms in supplication. Mackay had just returned after his second broken leg.

Jimmy Greaves said of Mackay - 'he went into battle like a warrior and was the physical leader' of the double-winning Spurs side of the early 1960s. Mackay was ‘the greatest player in that great side,' Greaves added, ‘an individual who had just about everything: power, skill, stamina and enthusiasm. He was the best professional I ever played alongside.

It's hard to imagine nowdays, that Bill Nicholson paid Heart of Midlothian £30,000 to bring Mackay to White Hart Lane in 1958. He stayed for a decade, during which time Spurs won the First Division title once and the FA Cup three times – in 1961, 1962 and 1967.

While there has been no response from anyone apart from myself, i don't really think that that confirms either one of you are right merely that no one really cares :) .

Edited by alfieconn

While there has been no response from anyone apart from myself, i don't really think that that confirms either one of you are right merely that no one really cares :) .

Agreed and congratulations to the Spurs supporters getting their own bar. :D

• 13 years later...