Thai Lottery

maxcherry

1 - How do you do it

2 - How much is it

3 - Where do you get the results

4 - How often is it held

Basically - how does it all work

Oh and the most important question of all.  Is a farang allowed to win it?

How do you do it? Well there are two ways. One is you can buy a ticket (which is actually two tickets) (But don't ask for the vendor to split them). They are available from the folk in straw hats and ragged clothes, who walk up and down the soi's all day long earning just enough to eat, from their commission.

The second way is to buy a two or three number ticket (Upstairs and/or Downstairs) from an official vendor. They come is three values 20,50 and 100 baht. So for example you can bet on the 2 digit number (Downstairs) or the last two digits of the six digit winning number (Upstairs) ditto for the 3 digit numbers.

A 2 digit win yields 64-1

A three digit win yields 649-1

On the main ticket a 2 digit win yields 1000 baht less tax at 4%

On the main ticket a 3 digit win yields 2000 baht less tax at 4%

A 6 digit win yields 3 million baht less 4% tax and a further 10-20% poor tax....see later.

2. How much is it? A standard single ticket is 40 baht (80 baht for the two that are joined together) but the wandering vendors charge 95 baht for two tickets. The 15 baht is their commission for walking around all day and smiling and saying good luck and recommending certain numbers.

The tickets at the vendors for 2 and 3 digit game come in units of 20/50 and 100 baht.

3. The results are printed in the Bangkok post the day after the draw, you can watch the draw live on ITV on 1st and 16th of the month from 3.00pm onwards. Also men and women sell results sheets for 5 baht just minutes after the draw(s) are made. How they do this I do not know, but is the most impressive thing in Thailand, except for Pattaya that is.

4. It is held twice a month on 1st and 16th of the month as long as it is not a bank holiday, in which case it will be held the next day.

NOTE: If you win the big one....six million baht for the two tickets (joined). You will have to collect the money in a sea of publicity and will be expected to give a solid chunk (of baht) to the poor.

I have never had a problem collecting my winnings of 1000 or 2000 baht, you just sign the back of the ticket. But I actually would worry about winning the big one. As a falang I would sure to be targeted!

NOTE: If you win the big one....six million baht for the two tickets (joined). You will have to collect the money in a sea of publicity and will be expected to give a solid chunk (of baht) to the poor.

Actually it is four million baht, but good post.

They sell the full numbers in pairs, or 'Kuu'. You ask for 'kuu bai neung', if you want one.

They used to be only one number on the ticket. This changed a few years ago when most people were buying more than one ticket. I bought 6 tickets once with the last two numbers coming in - 6000 baht minus tax. there is a jackpot of 2 million for a particular number. Many people win on the last two numbers. You can win on the last three numbers, but not from the main number. There are 4, 3 digit nubmers on the results winning 2,ooo baht. There are also many other numbers winning from 10,000 to 50,000 baht.

The underground lottery, usually ran by police/mafia, stopped a year or so ago.

Now you can buy those little tickets. 20 baht green -50 baht blue 100 baht red.

You can go for "khang bon" or "khang lang" - Up or Down, for the last 2 numbers.

Up is the last two digits on the main winning number.

Down is the 2 numbers shown on the result sheet.

I go for 3 numbers - tell them '123' dtrong. For 100 baht you will win 50,000 baht.

You can also go for 'thot' any permutation of the 3 digits, eg 231, or 321.

If you go for this, don't go for a number with two or three same numbers, obviously, 111, would be better 'dtrong'. Thot wins 10,000 baht for 100 stake.

For example, I say 314 dtrong, roi neung. Then I get a little red ticket that has never won yet

Or, 14 khang bon, yee sib.

Or, 123 thot, ha sib.

or 12 khang lang

It is easy, sorry if if sounds complicated.

Who says you can't get rich?

Buy a pack of 5 tickets for around 500 baht, if you win you get 30,000,000 baht!

Alternatively buy 10 red 100 baht small tickets 'dtrong'(straight) and win 5 million.

Ok maybe that is not a lot to us rich expats

The tickets cost from 80 baht. They sell to some farang for 100 baht.

It is great fun watching the locals talk about how they get the numbers.

I preferred the underground one, better odds.

Edited by Neeranam

You've gotta admit....6 million baht as first prize in a national lottery is pretty p1ss-poor.

Better off buying tickets in any other nations national lottery.

It's all relative. It is a lot of money when you normally live on a couple of hundred baht a day. That would be your living expenses for 82 years.

And, it's only 4 million baht, they changed it, cheating b*&^%%s

but the wandering vendors charge 95 baht for two tickets. The 15 baht is their commission for walking around all day and smiling and saying good luck and recommending certain numbers

Prices vary a lot, and some vendors hold back certain numbers for higher prices. I've had quotes up to 200 baht..

The distribution system is very corrupt, with many middlemen, and that's why the price is more than 80 baht... It cost the vendor more than that by the time it gets to them...

Edited by Ajarn

Better off buying tickets in any other nations national lottery

Can this be done?

I know that you have to be resident in the UK to buy tickets online.

I'm no expert on lotteries, as I don't do them (learnt the hard way).

I know that anybody can buy a ticket in the US State lotteries, of which the biggest (I think) is the New York State lottery.

Also, anybody can buy a ticket in 'El Gordo' The Spanish State lottery and the richest in prize money in the world.

Singapore State lottery open to all.

Think all the Australian lotto and power-ball is open to all. Any Aussies care to verify that, as I'm not sure.

Also, I think British Premium Bonds can be bought by any nationality.

Edited by Sir Burr

You've gotta admit....6 million baht as first prize in a national lottery is pretty p1ss-poor.

You can open an a/c and buy tickets in Australian Tattslotto via internet.

games cost 50c per set of 6 numbers (1-45) .4 games minimum. garaunteed div.1 prize pool is $3 mill aud. which means for a 15 bt ticket you can win 90mill bt. makes thai prizes look sad.

for details= http://www.tattersalls.com.au/

My sister in law, won 17,000 last lottery, she only spent 30 baht to win it. The weird part is that my father in law died over the Songkran holiday and he had told all the girls in the family to buy 134 in the next lottery - guess what the winning numbers were? My Mrs obviously wasnt listening!

games cost 50c per set of 6 numbers (1-45) .4 games minimum. garaunteed div.1 prize pool is $3 mill aud. which means for a 15 bt ticket you can win 90mill bt. makes thai prizes look sad.

cheers, didnt realise that... I will open an account.

They are available from the folk in straw hats and ragged clothes, who walk up and down the soi's all day long earning just enough to eat, from their commission.

Whenever I'm approached by a vendor offering a "special number" ticket (guaranteed to win?), I ask them "why don't you buy it yourself then?"

The lottery is the tax for the stupid and the poor.

If you want a "sure thing" lottery wise... sell your own tickets (2 digit only to keep it simple). You only need a few hundred thousand Baht to get started to cover possible wins (which aren't very likely) by your customers.

:o

It is unreliable in Oz. I occasionally bought a ticket and never won :o

How to double your money in the Thai lottery:-

Take your 100 Bht note, fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Better yet - stick it under your pillow at night, and in the morning you find it increases.

:o

Edited by Pandit

It is unreliable in Oz. I occasionally bought a ticket and never won :D

:D sod that then Doc! :D I blame the vics for that and everything else :o

It is unreliable in Oz. I occasionally bought a ticket and never won :D

:D sod that then Doc! :D I blame the vics for that and everything else :o

Bastards aren't they :D

Before anyone spends money on that link for Oz they had better read the fine print:

Please note: In order to take advantage of internet purchasing, you must be a resident of VIC, ACT, NT or TAS and be over the age of 18. You will be required to confirm your identity before any prizes can be paid to you.

It would be a real pain to win and not be paid. :o

Edited by lopburi3

for decades there have been cases of it being rigged by those in control ,all manner of trickery has been used . it used to be all done behind closed doors , then they had audience members picking the balls but they turned out to be stooges picking special sticky balls from the tub !

nowadays its probably unrigged but you cant be sure !

the thai version of Sergeant Bilko used to run it and may still do !

it may be the same guy winning the jackpot every month !