Motorcycle Insurance And Registration

I've seen posts regarding insurance, registration and road tax for cars. Is it the same procedure for a motorcycle (i.e. one of the 125cc Honda Waves or a 200cc Honda Shadow type bike).

I would like to buy one when I get back next time, and would like to have an idea of what I'm getting in to (taxes, cost of insurance and so on).

Thanks,

Kerry. I have 2 bikes but my wife deals with all that stuff as I won't ride them out here. The only good reason to ride a bike in Pattaya is that it's a sure way of meeting some of those cute thai nurses. :o

Aha, the truth is you have 2 bikes, but the wife won't let you ride them ! (in case you happen to meet some cute nurses).

I figure on using the bike mostly for short trips outside of Pattaya, where using a taxi would be expensive and public transportation is inconvenient. Kind of hard to hire a moto-taxi to cruise around the countryside for the day (probably possible though)

Kerry. Any time you're in Pattaya again give me a PM if you feel like going on any short but awkward trips. Would be happy to take you in my pick up, or me and the missus if you have a lady friend in tow :o No problem as I normally only sit around here chilling any way. :D

I've seen posts regarding insurance, registration and road tax for cars. Is it the same procedure for a motorcycle (i.e. one of the 125cc Honda Waves or a 200cc Honda Shadow type bike).

I would like to buy one when I get back next time, and would like to have an idea of what I'm getting in to (taxes, cost of insurance and so on).

Thanks,

Bikes over 150cc cost about 850bht@yr for gov't ins. and road tax. Under 150cc about 400bht.

Thanks,

Bikes over 150cc cost about 850bht@yr for gov't ins. and road tax. Under 150cc about 400bht.

That's not bad at all ! What about the registration ?

I only have the normal tourist visa as well. I thought about having a friend buy the bike for me, but then I run the risk of him/her selling it on me next time I blink.