British Couple Murdered: Verdict Tomorrow

george

Shocking reminder not to lose your cool in a country like this.

I agree it is bad form to lose ones temper anywhere but it does not call for a sentance of death for a first offence.

First offense was a cold blooded murder of 2 people. Are you suggesting that as it is the first 2 foreign people he has shot plus run over in the womans case, that he get a lighter sentance?

I think the death sentence would be extreme, however, it may be the only sentence that would be 'served'.

25 years would likely translate to 4-5 years, until the international attention had died down.

I fear the latter may be the eventual outcome here. :o

Court-Case ? ? ? Don't hold your breath, because the likely scenario will be a judge simply stating that IF these foreigners would have stayed in their own country, this double murder would have never taken place . . . . . hence the fault lies with the murdered Brits and certainly NOT with the hardworking & conscientious "Royal Thai Policeman" . . . . . . .

T.I.T. and L.O.L. : bah:

It because of the "corrupt" police force in Thailand that the Brits and Australians set up their own

offices in Bangkok to look for people traffickers and stop Brits partaking in under age sex.

The New Zealand Police actually act as liaison for the British Embassy in Bangkok but you just never know who you might be talking to from the vice squad, drug squad or organised crime divisions from any Police Force

Has anyone noticed that the government propaganda on Radio Thailand recently changed from promoting Free Trade Agreements (the Japan FTA is now in trouble) to promoting a revamp at the Justice Ministry?

It's slick, but laughable. With a male choir humming manfully in the background, the narrator reads out some stirring words about an improvement in the rule of law and democracy. Well, we can forget about democracy under TRT, but let's see how they do with the rule of law in the backpacker murder case.

Over the years, I've had a few Thai "friends" who were policemen. Actually they seemed pretty nice, BUT, I know the power they weild and I was always careful not to cross any lines (real or imaginary). I treated them with a great deal of respect and healthy dose of caution. One thing I didn't do with them was drink--it seemed like a recipe for disaster.

None of this mitigates the fact that two innocent people died because they didn't know or understand the culture/power situation with the police.

Very sad situation. I think the gov't knows that these cases get a lot of attention.

By the way, it would be interesting to find out how many people favor the death penalty if he is guilty and where they are from.

I for one don't care what happens to him, I meant the death sentence for the two unfortunate people who got murdered who according to one version of events

"insulted" him.

As there are no witnesess's to the event who do you believe?

thanks maerim - your meaning is as I thought. I think your tongue-in-cheek post might have been taken in context by a few people.

Now I have it clearly in context.

People - lighten up and read between the lines!

This topic is very hard to moderate. Please refrain from insults to the Thai Police.

Thanks

/admin

my friend's father was thai policeman.... aarrgghh he's pretty good. but, of course we can't blame anybody reaction here regarding the crime commited by the thai policeman. its very sad ended for two Brits, I hope this guy facing great sentence (death). :o

How many favour the death penalty?

In my humble meaning, I think the death penalty is completely wrong. God told us not to kill and nobody on this planet has the right to kill. NOBODY. An NDE I had about 20 years ago brought me to this simple insight.

There are harsher punishments than the death penalty. In prison for life without any possibility of parole would be a much more adequate punishment than the death penalty, especially for this accused, if proven guilty. Imagine yourself, say 40 years in prison without the chance of ever getting your freedom back.

I know in Thailand this would never materialize this way and that is sad.

By the way who said the farang was spitting into the Thai policeman's face? He had one month time (while he was in hiding) to cook up this story.

I agree it is bad form to lose ones temper anywhere but it does not call for a sentance of death for a first offence.

Anyway how do we know tempers were lost only got one side of the argument the others involved are unfortunately dead.

First offense was a cold blooded murder of 2 people. Are you suggesting that as it is the first 2 foreign people he has shot plus run over in the womans case, that he get a lighter sentance?

I don't think that was what was meant. Murder, no matter what, can never be lessened in the eyes of responsible people simply because it is the first time someone has committed it - what a dreadful concept. The first offence when a crime such as theft or something else of a minor nature may be thought of as perhaps a mistake of judgement, but murder is always murder - and never can be reduced in severity - how could it ever be when someone's life has been ended?

How many favour the death penalty?

In my humble meaning, I think the death penalty is completely wrong. God told us not to kill and nobody on this planet has the right to kill. NOBODY. An NDE I had about 20 years ago brought me to this simple insight.

There are harsher punishments than the death penalty. In prison for life without any possibility of parole would be a much more adequate punishment than the death penalty, especially for this accused, if proven guilty. Imagine yourself, say 40 years in prison without the chance of ever getting your freedom back.

I know in Thailand this would never materialize this way and that is sad.

By the way who said the farang was spitting into the Thai policeman's face? He had one month time (while he was in hiding) to cook up this story.

i think if we are in the position nor relative of the victims we may say "Death penalty' as well, do you think so Dario? :o

This topic is very hard to moderate. Please refrain from insults to the Thai Police.

Thanks

/admin

my friend's father was thai policeman.... aarrgghh he's pretty good. but, of course we can't blame anybody reaction here regarding the crime commited by the thai policeman. its very sad ended for two Brits, I hope this guy facing great sentence (death). :o

Absolutely - murders are committed in other countries by the police in those places - but each of these must be taken as the actions of the individual, not those of the entire force - there are those who abuse their power in all military and para-military groups throughout the world, but we must not condemn the majority because of the few.

Anyway how do we know tempers were lost only got one side of the argument the others involved are unfortunately dead.

It really sounds like a liberal spin - the potential death sentence is not for the officer losing his temper. He murdered two people.

An officer of the law is suppose to be protecting the public, not slaughtering it as the result of a lack of control.

The only reason why I believe in the death penalty is not for punishing the guilty, but so that the offender is never able to commit another attrocity. It is the only way we can be certain that he will not kill again. Regarding the lack of witnesses, isn't there plenty of evidence, not to mention his initial admission?