Open A Small Dive Center

antarai

Sawati krap everybody

I'm looking for infomation to open a small dive center or dive shop.

One friend talk me about TAT licence and any costs,about 2 million baths for it.

My idea is to run a small dive shop .It will be more like a way of life not very profitable but if l can dive everydive and make some money sometimes for my its ok.

I want to know if i need the TAT licence yes or yes or if i can avoid it,just selling other services and also my diving packages.

I'll just have a small,portable compressor,10 tanks and 5 equipments,and a small boat.

Do you think,for so small business i need to pay that Big money?

I realize that in many places are a lot of small dive shops,they look more than an office than a dive shop....all of them pay that TAT licence?

Anybody know the legal ways and the papers to do to open a business like this?

Also i been in Philippines many times....and is around my head the same idea to do there.

Do you think in Philippines in easier than in Thailand?

Thanks for the replys

A definite looser of idea here in TH, just too much copetition and too much hassle from government. Philippines is better in both respects.

I know its more of the same,but the expenses for the equipment its not so expensive if i am going to dive anyway.

I just want to know about the legal papers,licenses etc

Why you think Philippines its better choice? No so burocracy?

Thanks for the reply

if you are a foreigner you would need to set up a company limited, employ Thai staff and get a work permit. Not sure about the TAT stuff but sounds plausible to me. Considering the competitive situation and low margins here, my advise is stay away!

Questions before any one can give a good answer.

Location ? different coasts have different seasons and certainly provinces have different attitudes/ laws regarding this business.

TAT is not 2 million bht at all depends on web site size of operation etc, it can start at 20,000 bht.

Competition isnt always an issue in new areas but customer flow may be.

What is your target customer ? high end /Budget / students / certified divers?

My advice is dont get sucked in to buying someone elses dive center, start your own.

Its not a dead end business here in Thailand just think about the above and have a plan. Do something different from the masses here !

thanks again for yours replys

I listen many historys about local mafias into diving business,especially in Koh Tao,i been living there for long time,and to start someting in a busy place like that i think it will be many headaches.

My location it will be between both coats.Close a big lake.So the monsoon doesnt affect the dive.

I want to offer cavern and cave diving to certified divers.Also i have a pick up and ocasionally i'ld move it to different locations.So i want to have legal papers OK in case police stop in the way(another reason to be legal)

Stiggy,can you be a little more especific with the TAT license? How can i prove or show them i run a small business.

Thanks

TAT license for a DC will be 100,000 Baht deposit, plus a lot of paperwork.

On top of that you will need insurance for your guests, which is a minimum of 50,000 baht per year, no matter how little guests (if more guests it will be more expensive).

My idea is to run a small dive shop .It will be more like a way of life not very profitable but if l can dive everydive and make some money sometimes for my its ok.

If you run a diveshop you will spend all day running the business and fixing problems. I think I dived about 10 times in the year I ran my own shop.

If you want the lifestyle, diving everyday and make some money sometimes then get a job as a divemaster or instructor.

I want to know if i need the TAT licence yes or yes or if i can avoid it,just selling other services and also my diving packages.

Technically yes, but a lot of companies ignore all sorts of rules and regulations in Thailand....

I'll just have a small,portable compressor,10 tanks and 5 equipments,and a small boat.

Do you think,for so small business i need to pay that Big money?

Yes.

Diving is a very expensive business. Boats, compressors and dive gear are all expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. Add on fuel, rent, staff, taxes and you may well be paying more than it would cost to go fun diving everyday with another company.

5 sets of gear would presumably have to be XS, S, M, l, Xl - meaning you are limited to one customer of each size per day. 2 extra large divers come in and you need to take them diving separately.

I ran a business similar to what you are describing 5 years ago and am still paying off the debts incurred.

Believe me, its more hassle than its worth.

Technically yes, but a lot of companies ignore all sorts of rules and regulations in Thailand....

..and we would like to emphasize that on the long run it is a good idea not to ignore them... :)