British Passport Renewal - Expediting Service?

Hi -

Friend and I are travelling to Hong Kong on Saturday 10 April. He just noticed that his British passport expires in August. Two questions please. The British Embassy says 10 working days for renewal/new passport. If filed tomorrow that will be exactly 10 days so would be cutting it a bit too fine. Does anybody know if they offer an expediting service? My other question is since there is 4 months left on the passport any problems for travelling to Hong Kong and he can renew when he is back? I know most countries require at least 6 months left on the passport.

Thanks!

6 months on the Passport are required as far as I know.

Coincidentally you now have to apply for a new passport in Hong Kong.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...-asia/thailand/

Thanks Lite Beer...that is what I thought. As for renewal yes I read that it's done in Hong Kong but you still apply here in BKK and they send it off. They say 10 business days so was wondering for an extra fee if they have expediting service.

6 months on the Passport are required as far as I know.

Coincidentally you now have to apply for a new passport in Hong Kong.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...-asia/thailand/

Thanks Lite Beer...that is what I thought. As for renewal yes I read that it's done in Hong Kong but you still apply here in BKK and they send it off. They say 10 business days so was wondering for an extra fee if they have expediting service.

Wow... I stand corrected we need to send the passport off!

Here is information on requirements to travel. Have a look. Here

This is what it says.

Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing travel documents must be

valid for at least one month after the period of the

intended stay.

This quote from the FCO Website for Hong Kong seems to suggest that your friend would be ok.

Passport validity

A British Citizen will normally be granted six months entry to Hong Kong on arrival, but only if the passport is valid for six months or more. If the passport has less than 6 months validity, Hong Kong Immigration will only grant one month longer than the scheduled stay in Hong Kong, but only if the validity of the passport allows this. The passport must be valid for the duration of stay in Hong Kong.

Why not renew it in person whilst in Hong Kong ? Explain to the embassy you are on a short visit and ask if it can be turned around during your stay? Not sure if this is possible but as you will already be in Hong Kong it would be worth asking the question of the embassy.

There is no Embassy in Hong Kong and the Consulate no longer handles passports per there web site. Contact is

Passport enquiries

All passport enquiries are handled by Careline Services Limited through their Passport Information Helpline. If you have a passport enquiry, which cannot be answered through the information on our passport web page, or, you would like a real time progress report on an application, please contact the following number.

Tel: (+44) 208 082 4744

Please note that this is an English speaking service only.

Careline telephone lines are open 24 hours a day, 5 days a week, from 08:30 Monday through to 16:30 Friday (Hong Kong time). If you are not in Hong Kong you will need to take into account any time difference when calling.

Calls are charged at GBP 0.69 per minute (+VAT) for the duration of the call. (Telephone service providers will also charge for the cost of the international call so applicants may like to check their provider's tariff). Please ensure that you have your credit card details ready before calling.

For customers with hearing difficulties, a Textphone service is available by contacting + 44 1750 725 368

Feedback and complaints

If you feel that your experience with Careline Services was unsatisfactory, please email Careline Services directly. All complaints will be acknowledged within one working day.

There is no Embassy in Hong Kong and the Consulate no longer handles passports per there web site. Contact is

You are of course correct in saying that there is no British Embassy in Hong Kong, but there is a Consulate general which the FCO say is bigger than most embassies. http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/

You can however apply for a UK Passport in Hong Kong, it is in fact the regional hub

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...g-in-hong-kong/

Careline Services, who are an out sourced telephone enquiry company, just handle telephone enquiries.

Edited by theoldgit

Yes, they handle telephone enquires that cannot be answered by reading the website, as I said they are an outsourced telephone helpline.

Passport enquiries

All passport enquiries are handled by Careline Services Limited through their Passport Information Helpline. If you have a passport enquiry, which cannot be answered through the information on our passport web page, or, you would like a real time progress report on an application, please contact the following number.

The link you provided says you can apply in person or by post.

Applying by post

Completed applications and relevant supporting documents should be sent to:

The Passport Section

British Consulate-General

1 Supreme Court Road

Hong Kong

Applying in person

If you live in Hong Kong you may apply for passports at:

The British Consulate-General

1 Supreme Court Road

It would seem that it takes 10 days for the passport either by post or personal application, but could well be quicker if they are not that busy, just a thought but if you are returning to Thailand without obtaining a replacement passport, can you enter Thailand with only 4 months left on the passport?

You do not mention your visa status in Thailand?

If you are planning to use the visa exempt status you will be OK.

If you have a B or O visa, with extension, that complicates matters and you may end up

restarting if you leave Thailand.

A multi-entry B or O will be OK. Just show old and new passports on arrival in Thailand and

the old visa will be accepted.