Can't Afford To Go Home

HalfSquat

P.s.: regarding deli products and wines you are able to find everything in Thailand...

Humm, everything in Thailand ? that nice, I am learning something everyday :)

Could you tell me where I can get Leeuwin estate pinot noir and some cloudy bay.

For the cheese, mature goat cheese and some king inland brie & blue will be fine

Perhaps you have a place for real sourdough bread as well….proscuito will be welcome as well ! Thank you

not trying to be sarcastic

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that he should ask for money to buy milk formula and nappies .... two luxury items that are not essential for anyone.

I know people who cannot afford to go home either, I always stash an airfare somewhere.

Mind you with current price rises, I won't be able to afford the airfare soon.

Could you tell me where I can get Leeuwin estate pinot noir and some cloudy bay.

For the cheese, mature goat cheese and some king inland brie & blue will be fine

Perhaps you have a place for real sourdough bread as well….proscuito will be welcome as well ! Thank you

You can find everything (except maybe "Leeuwin Estate" ) in Koh Phangan too, and more difficult food items too.

:)

If most of the guys here who want to return home but can't for 'financial' reasons were honest with us and themselves they'd admit that the problem was burnt bridges. Being outstanding:- taxes, child support, credit card debt, court fines, gambling debt etc. etc.

They can't hide from that sort of thing forever and would have came up with an outstanding story to get sympathy from me.

I can definitely understand your point, but have found many expats who are quite well off here in Thailand due to dodging responsibilities back in their home countries. Some of these guys I know personally ran up huge amounts of debt with the sole intention of running off here to LOS and living quite well for many years. In many ways, it almost makes me wish I had done the same instead of trying to settle my debts before opting for a much cheaper country to live in. I have my share of burnt bridges, but most are with family relationships and not financial debts. I tend to joke often that the only real mistake I made was not robbing a bank on the way to the airport.

As with anyone in my situation, it's a rather long story that I'm pretty sure nobody really wants to hear. For now, I just work hard and keep my head down. Same thing I would be doing back home if I could afford to live there.

........ My only options were to request repatriation from the US consulate .....

Is this really an option? Would the US consulate really arrange for a US citizen to get back to the states if they were broke and assuming their visa was up?

I have an old mate in the situation of not even being able to afford a ticket back home! He's out of work, again, no savings, lives in a small "house" off another guys goodwill. I'm past the point of lending more money and looking after him.

What do guys in this position expect to do? Nothing back in there home countries, no ties whatsoever.

Can still afford to get off his face every night though!!!!!

........ My only options were to request repatriation from the US consulate .....

Is this really an option? Would the US consulate really arrange for a US citizen to get back to the states if they were broke and assuming their visa was up?

Yes, the US Consulate can arrange a "repatriation loan" for a US citizen who can prove that they have truly run out of options. They seize your current passport, issue you a single page passport, and arrange for a flight and any visa overstay fees. This is a loan and NOT free money. To be eligible, you must be able to prove a residence address in the US to receive the bill. It also has to be a non-stop flight which will probably not be the cheapest by any means. Definitely a last resort when all else fails kind of solution, but still ends up in a "catch 22". This information comes direct from a conversation with a consular officer at the US Consulate.

Oddly enough, it can be cheaper to get busted by immigration if and when your visa runs out. If you can handle a few weeks in IDC, it might get you out of the overstay fines. Even the Thai's seem to know that you can't get blood out of a turnip, and will just want to get you gone. Still, a less than desirable outcome.

Considering the options, I wonder why I don't see more "Flying Falangs". I'm lucky enough to have a little work, and a roof over my head. I'm not sure what I would do if things really took a turn for the worse. :)

I can afford a ticket back to the UK but I certainly cannot afford to return to live in the UK. Where would I live, what work would I do. Does that mean I have burned my bridges? No. I have been living in Thailand for a number of years, okay more than 20, have no debt, a comfortable life and will shortly be buying a house in my son's name. Could I afford to go back to the country I have not lived in for 20 odd years? No. Would I want to? Not on your life. Is it scarey not having the safety net of a family back in the home country? Of course it is if you dwell on it, but dead is dead and there is nothing I can do to bring them back to life. Instead of dwelling on something like going back to the UK, I am constantly reviewing my plans so that I can continue living here in Thailand.

Yes, the US Consulate can arrange a "repatriation loan" for a US citizen who can prove that they have truly run out of options. They seize your current passport, issue you a single page passport, and arrange for a flight and any visa overstay fees. This is a loan and NOT free money. To be eligible, you must be able to prove a residence address in the US to receive the bill. It also has to be a non-stop flight which will probably not be the cheapest by any means. Definitely a last resort when all else fails kind of solution, but still ends up in a "catch 22". This information comes direct from a conversation with a consular officer at the US Consulate.

Oddly enough, it can be cheaper to get busted by immigration if and when your visa runs out. If you can handle a few weeks in IDC, it might get you out of the overstay fines. Even the Thai's seem to know that you can't get blood out of a turnip, and will just want to get you gone. Still, a less than desirable outcome.

Considering the options, I wonder why I don't see more "Flying Falangs". I'm lucky enough to have a little work, and a roof over my head. I'm not sure what I would do if things really took a turn for the worse. :)

Thanks for the info but on was wondering why you say it might be cheaper on the Thai side ... I have read if they pick you up on an overstay that you will be put in detention and held until you can pay for a plane ticket. In a sense if true this could mean a life sentence for some but I figured maybe the US Embassy would step in at some point.

A friend who can't tell the story here, earns over 85,000 baht a month at a state matayom school. Round trip tickets home to the West. More than the friend earned back home. And after-hours tutoring is 35,000 more. No need to return home.

85,000 bht per month? In another post here, various local "experts" said the maximum someone could earn teaching English in LOS would be 40,000 per mo. How does your friend come by such a high salary?

A friend who can't tell the story here, earns over 85,000 baht a month at a state matayom school. Round trip tickets home to the West. More than the friend earned back home. And after-hours tutoring is 35,000 more. No need to return home.

85,000 bht per month? In another post here, various local "experts" said the maximum someone could earn teaching English in LOS would be 40,000 per mo. How does your friend come by such a high salary?

Teacher that provides "advanced instruction" :D

anyway, at least now we know what kind of person ends up being a tout for the timeshares. :)

I have kept and will, for the foreseeable future, keep my house in the UK. That way I have an 'out' and a place to go back to. The house is currently rented to my son and his wife, that helps fund me here in Thailand and also helps them financially as they pay a reduced rent.

As to cash, I keep enough in reserve to fly out of Thailand if I need to in any emergency.

I would rather stay here. Life is fairly good to me. The weather in the UK was dam_n cold too. Maybe a third of the high street shops had closed. The pubs were full of the same old faces doing the same old things every weekend.

Also too many people I know have been dying and dying far too young. They worked their b*llocks off, saving and investing for the future, for retirement, but always for the future. As it is that future has come to nothing. They are dead !! What sort of life is that, to work so long and hard to die before you take the chance and go places, have adventures?

If I could not afford to go home, then I would be stuck. But I cannot see how anyone would leave themselves in such a position, though I can understand that mistakes happen, problems occur and mismanagement happens that can leave us in the lurch.

I count myself lucky for every year I am here in LOS even though it may not be as heavenly as often portrayed. I am of the belief that as soon as I burn my bridges that life might come tumbling down around my ears, so I refuse to burn those bridges even though I could have a wonderful life here with the money from the sale of the house etc.

Go home? To the UK? Not unless I have to !!

Thanks for the info but on was wondering why you say it might be cheaper on the Thai side ... I have read if they pick you up on an overstay that you will be put in detention and held until you can pay for a plane ticket. In a sense if true this could mean a life sentence for some but I figured maybe the US Embassy would step in at some point.

Yes, my understanding is that they will hold you until you can arrange for a plane ticket, but the US Consulate will step in and offer assistance in obtaining one either through friends, family, or by making arrangements through the afore mentioned "repatriation loan". Those who are unwilling or unable to cooperate with the terms set out by the US Consulate assistance services will be held indefinitely. Many of those are expats with serious legal issues that they are avoiding return to the states. Actual deportation with US Consulate assistance can help avoid overstay fines, but you can expect to be locked up for a while. I know of one guy that spent 53 days there before he was able to get a ticket home.

I also found the following thread some time ago that has some very useful information regarding overstay and deportation issues. It's an informative and somewhat entertaining read.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Overstaying-...un-t138238.html

Why do people call it Going home, when they probable abandoned there Country for what ever reasons, for the land of not smiles, And would there home want them, All they would do is burden the state, There are approx four and a half million people who are, or want to return to the UK, After maybe years of living the so called dream, which has turned sour. I for one know A human being, I will not call him a man , he has has taken redundancy because he had cause so much trouble at work they were happy to get rid of him and he knew it. He is obsess t with Thailand, Left His Thai wife in the UK. and set up a business in Thailand, In Pattaya, He now has a gik or kept woman in his condo, His Thai wife in the UK knows and is just waiting to take him to the cleaners, He is living a life he cannot sustain, I am not saying that all, or most are like this, and see Thailand as an escape, but some are living in a dream, not living the dream.

Edited by Thongkorn

I can afford a ticket back to the UK but I certainly cannot afford to return to live in the UK. Where would I live, what work would I do.

Yeah that is my situation. I don't think I have burnt any bridges back home. I've continued to pay my debts to bank while I've been out here and have a pretty nice life here but when I touched down on UK soil I probably wouldn't have anywhere to stay long term and getting a new job might be hard with a gap in UK employment.

Then there is the question of do I really want to go home? I can imagine seriously regretting going back to England after a few weeks of grey skies and public transport!

I hate being in Western countries. Feels like being in jail. I refuse to spend money in those places other than the bare minimum to keep me alive for the duration. Coming back to Thailand is like being allowed back in Paradise.

YEAH! Going BACK through customs at Perth Airport, one expects a prison-like welcome home before you make it out to the carpark for a smoke, but now they've turned into an absolute jail for paying customers who only want to wait for a flight to GET OUT!

After the bureaucratic bungle back in February, I can't afford to fly back to Australia, but that is no my home anymore. I'll catch the bus to Phnom Pehn or join the Pattaya Flying club, because I've committed no crime, and ergo will not be imprisoned again on the island I once called home.

Maybe it's time for a new definition of 'homeless people'. :)

Why do people call it Going home, when they probable abandoned there Country for what ever reasons, for the land of not smiles,

...because not all of the expats in Thailand have "abandoned" their home country. There are a lot of us who came here with every intention of it being temporary. :)

I'm in that in-between "limbo land" of not feeling like anywhere is my home at the present time. Yes, I am a U.S. citizen, but without a house, condo, car, nothing to return to back there I can hardly say that is home or feels like home. Then again, I have been in Thailand only 2+years full time, staying in my gf's house, paying for a car in her name, buying some land in her name - this doesn't feel like home either because I don't actually own ANYTHING here (except my pc!).

But I enjoy most aspects of my life in Thailand, and slowly, slowly it is beginning to feel a little like home here. Takes a number of years for some of us I guess.

I worry about the day my health completely craps out on me, forcing me to go back to the U.S. for treatment under Medicare, or if the $USD gets so weak I can't re-qualify for my visa.

So I try to live like the Thais do: live for today.

I'm in that in-between "limbo land" of not feeling like anywhere is my home at the present time. Yes, I am a U.S. citizen, but without a house, condo, car, nothing to return to back there I can hardly say that is home or feels like home. Then again, I have been in Thailand only 2+years full time, staying in my gf's house, paying for a car in her name, buying some land in her name - this doesn't feel like home either because I don't actually own ANYTHING here (except my pc!).

But I enjoy most aspects of my life in Thailand, and slowly, slowly it is beginning to feel a little like home here. Takes a number of years for some of us I guess.

I worry about the day my health completely craps out on me, forcing me to go back to the U.S. for treatment under Medicare, or if the $USD gets so weak I can't re-qualify for my visa.

That is good for your soul and teaches about impermanence. So many people feel totally secure in their shoes but that is a total delusion.

I hate being in Western countries. Feels like being in jail. I refuse to spend money in those places other than the bare minimum to keep me alive for the duration. Coming back to Thailand is like being allowed back in Paradise.

YEAH! Going BACK through customs at Perth Airport, one expects a prison-like welcome home before you make it out to the carpark for a smoke, but now they've turned into an absolute jail for paying customers who only want to wait for a flight to GET OUT!

After the bureaucratic bungle back in February, I can't afford to fly back to Australia, but that is no my home anymore. I'll catch the bus to Phnom Pehn or join the Pattaya Flying club, because I've committed no crime, and ergo will not be imprisoned again on the island I once called home.

What utter rot! Your home as is your life is what YOU make of it. You blame bureaucracy? I'll bet that's a cop out and your own problems are the root cause. Your just another looking for sympathy and in due coarse handouts, why not get back to Perth and sort your problems before it's too late.

What utter rot! Your home as is your life is what YOU make of it. You blame bureaucracy? I'll bet that's a cop out and your own problems are the root cause. Your just another looking for sympathy and in due coarse handouts, why not get back to Perth and sort your problems before it's too late.

Okay then, how much do you bet?

a couple of years ago when my son turned 9 i took him back to the states, my first return in 10 yrs, tbh i was a bit worried about what i would find in the way of attitudes post 911 and the general appeal of the country. I used the craigs list to rent a room in a n. ca. home for a month, bought a car sold it for a profit in that 1st month, rented a newer car and went on the road, we spent 4 months traveling, we circled the country 14, 500 miles logged and i saw a few things i had never seen before such as mount rushmore, and niagra falls, and the new england states. I visited my one very close friend in colorado that i have know my entire life for almost a month and my immediate family for 2 weeks. To my pleasure it was a great trip. When i started the journey i had no intention of seeing my family as they live in kansas and it is not a place i like to visit but by the end of the trip i realized seeing the family was the best part. Colorado, California, NE, up state NY, seattle, oregon are beautiful, the country as a whole has many different places to see and things to do. We have always had a plan to return to the states when my son turns 14 so that he can attend secondary school there but as the time edges closer and the more the tax situation changes, i am not sure i can do it. I am saddened by the social agenda that the govt has taken and I do not want to support it so i may end up sending my son to live with family and stay on samui, not a bad place to be.

That is good for your soul and teaches about impermanence. So many people feel totally secure in their shoes but that is a total delusion.

I think you are exactly right Jing. I can remember feeling soo secure years ago.....yeah right.

Another benefit in my state of impermanence: I don't feel trapped here, or anywhere. I can always move on if I need to for whatever reason. That part feels good.

Never a truer word spoken on this thread.

First, I would never allow myself to get in to a position that I would not have enough funds to returne to the US, and

Second, I've always intended to go back home at some point. I like Thailand but I also enjoy the US of A :)

The thought of having to go back to the UK to live, fills me with mild panic, why? I don’t know, I love my county and the British people, as individuals, but the UK, well the whole EU (EU, joke) is in the shitter! The politicians in Europe are no different to their Thai counterparts………..Just more rehearsed and slicker!!

Luckily I don’t have to go back to the UK any time soon. But I am looking at a move, No! Not fortress Europe.

Anyone having to go back to their mother country, and not wanting to… You have my sympathy’s.

The thought of having to go back to the UK to live, fills me with mild panic, why? I don't know, I love my county and the British people, as individuals, but the UK, well the whole EU (EU, joke) is in the shitter! The politicians in Europe are no different to their Thai counterparts………..Just more rehearsed and slicker!!

Luckily I don't have to go back to the UK any time soon. But I am looking at a move, No! Not fortress Europe.

Anyone having to go back to their mother country, and not wanting to… You have my sympathy's.

Best thing about Thailand is the Re-Incarnation. Why waste your money on airfares?