Thai Policeman Guilty - Gets Life In Prison

george

woh woh woh guys... hold on a F... second... i read the first 5 posts... but it didn't say why this thai guy killed the couple ... it just talked about the dead it was blamed on him for..? what? i can understand the illegal weapons...but if he hadnt killed anybody, they wouldn't have known he had weapons in the first place! ... so what drove this man to kill this 'innocent' people? what did they do at the restaurant? what did they say? ... if it has been said, i sorry, i didn't see the post...my bad...

I suspect you are asian...........maybe not but you are ignorant. You know little to nothing about "real life" in this country and seem to place small value on life itself. Just WHAT can someone SAY that is so TERRIBLE that it gives reason to shoot a peraon to death and then run down another and shoot them. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the death penalty, but they do have it here and drug pushers are given it, so why not someone who kills two people?

On the Aussie Dope topic, the general complaint was that the sentence - (also not capital punishment) was too tough.

Dunno why we all don't just go off to Law School, have a career in the legal profession then become High Court Judges. :D

Yeah, people ask me that all the time. :D

But as someone who almost ended up in lawschool twice I do find it intriguing the 'checked-in' baggage weight and the 'confiscated' weight have not been published in the media. That, to me, a relatively ignorant bystander in this case, is relevant and I haven't read it anywhere. :o

Anyone have any sources on this? :D

Did anyone see the news on Channel 3 last night?

There was a very small part on this trial at the end.

First was one about some commission against corruption giving themselves too much money.

At the start then mid-way it was all Liverpool FC winning the cup, bloody glory hunters. Years ago it was Liverpool then Man U , Chelsea(only a couple of weeks ago), now Liverpool again.

When the bit about this case was shown and discussed, they didn't even mention where the couple of tourists came from, and not even their names!!!! They were referred to as "farangs" the whole time. The main guy, who is also on in the mornings, said that he UNDERSTOOD why the farang man was killed but not the woman farang.

Why was such a little amount of time given?

No-one in this country(viewers anyway) are interested.

I guess it's similar to in the past in the USA, if a cop shot and killed a black person.

He would have been treated differently than if it had been a white. 100 + years ago I mean. Farang are not even given a place on the social ladder. When a farang dies here in an accident, it is an added bonus to those Thais(most of them) who smile when someone is killed.

The average Thai person realises that the police and "puu yai" cannot be beaten.

The recnet case against DuangChalerm also was no surprise, nearly everyone has forgotten about that already.

I can't see Thailand changing in the near future.

I can certainly do nothing to change it.

I have to accept it or leave.

Edited by Neeranam

You know little to nothing about "real life" in this country and seem to place small value on life itself. Just WHAT can someone SAY that is so TERRIBLE that it gives reason to shoot a peraon

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Come on - what's your solution Sherlock.

Booze, hot weather. cheap whisky.......knockers grabbed, ............few insults thrown ,,,,,a push.... a shove,...... a spit back in the face....... table gets knocked over.......... a gun comes out......punch is thrown, gun is fired.

Thats 'real life' in this country.....we're in the third world where shit happens ... not some frou frou Copenhagen cocktail bar drinking schnapps.

Every time some new incident happens, everyone's like 'oh my God, the inhumanity. I don't understand it'....then next time, its precisely the same reaction.

Thats 'real life' in this country.....we're in the third world where shit happens ... not some frou frou Copenhagen cocktail bar drinking schnapps.

Well said Moog. Life does not mean the same, or as much in Thailand as in our "home" countries.

Let's throw a lot of International pressure on the Thai government, and make it just like our own one so we feel at home.

Edited by Neeranam

This case should be kept on the radar screen by someone or better yet some organization. Whether anyone agrees with the punishment, it is important to make sure that the punishment given is the one that is received.

Over time, Thailand may begin to realize that the legal system needs to start providing justice--not just a holding cell until everyone forgets.

This case should be kept on the radar screen by someone or better yet some organization.

There isn't an organization for making tougher punishments stick. Why not start one.

( Amnesty International have monopolized the other end of the market )

I hope the 'kill the b'stard' lobby aren't from non-death penalty countries. That would be ironic.

Thailand is not as black as is being painted - this is such an isolated, unique incident - but one that happens in the 3rd world where law enforcement is poor.

Try happy-slapping a NY cop (even if he's sober), and see if he doesn't pull a gun on you.

Hard to imagine a NY cop running over a woman, dragging her behind his truck for 200m, then shooting her eight times, all because she saw you killing her boyfriend. This sounds like "Training Day Part II", except it actually happened, in Thailand.

... from TELEGRAPH/NEWS

>>>

The third of Wisetsingh's four wives told the trial he was a dangerous womaniser who preyed on female tourists.Known to the hearing only as Dting, she said he was violent and trigger-happy. "I was one of the luckier wives - he did not shoot at me," she said. "But he took out his guns and shot his first and second wives. There was never any police investigation. He was a complete womaniser. He likes to go for tourists or married women."

<<<<<<<<<

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtm.../27/wthai27.xml

<<<<<<<<<

:o:D:D

Edited by lung

Anyone heard what happened to the Thai guy who killed a farang over this Songkran for talking bad about Thais?

Drinking with Thais you don't know well can be fatal. It should be in every guide book along with "don't point your feet at..." warnings.

Somchai will not get the King's Pardon.

He also will not serve his time in one prison, he have to shift every 1-2 years across the hole country.

Normally the court of appeal is upholding the first verdict.

And I also never ever see or read Thaimedia speaking in disrespect about the 2 victims. I've heard them allways pronounce their full names clearly... how many murdered pakistani in GB can claim on this? :o

Patex

Somchai will not get the King's Pardon.

He also will not serve his time in one prison, he have to shift every 1-2 years across the hole country.

Normally the court of appeal is upholding the first verdict.

And I also never ever see or read Thaimedia speaking in disrespect about the 2 victims. I've heard them allways pronounce their full names clearly... how many murdered pakistani in GB can claim on this?  :o

Patex

".. how many murdered pakistani in GB can claim on this?"

What kind of stupid statement is that! How many Pakistani couples in GB have been murdered in cold blood by GB police! I think the answer is none!

I would guess that the terms of his confession infer a crime of passion, removing the crime from one of first degree murder, which would carry a death sentence.

Premeditation is an element of murder in the first degree.

Unpremeditated, yes. But given the number of victims, a crime committed by an active duty law enforcement officer, what seems like a cold-blooded, execution style killing, and a blow to the national image/tourism, when all added up, would have somehow carried enough weight toward death penalty verdict.

So you will be leaving Asia in Protest?

I repeat agian, if this had been a Nigerian women caught with some heroin coming into Thailand, you would have all given her the usual Death sentence rantings.

But, because she is a pretty white girl, she must obviously be innocent and a victim of a drug smuggling ring, (the black woman would have already been hung by you people), in fact it shows me that you people know absolutely nothing about the real world,and a whole lot about about your own private insecurities, I for one am amazed at the ignorance shown in such cases.

Shame Shame.........

I repeat agian, if this had been a Nigerian women caught with some heroin coming into Thailand, you would have all given her the usual Death sentence rantings.

But, because she is a pretty white girl, she must obviously be innocent and a victim of a drug smuggling ring, (the black woman would have already been hung by you people), in fact it shows me that you people know absolutely nothing about the real world,and a whole lot about about your own private insecurities, I for one am amazed at the ignorance shown in such cases.

Shame Shame.........

what? :o

I have been mild surprised today by the number of local people in kan. who have asked me what the foreigners think about this case. These are not people working in the tourist industry but local shop keepers, office workers etc. away from the touristy part. Thoes with no real concern on how it may or may not affect tourism in the town. They were all in agreement that he should have got the death penalty, but that might have been what they thought i wanted to hear, but the very fact that i have been asked about it on several different occasions by different groups of people gave me a good feeling that they are not trying to pretend it didn't happen. The local people of kan, plus many of the tourist police i know are genuinely upset by the whole incident, and i think this should be taking into account by ranters and ravers on Thai culture. You cant tar everyone with the somjai brush. I was glad they were interested.

Shame Shame.........

What f***ing planet are you on...?

She was "pretty", she was "innocent", she was a "victim" - SHE'S NOW DEAD!

I'm presuming that you youself are black, and for some reason have a HUGE chip on your shoulder. Anyone, not just Nigerians, who smuggle drugs deserve what they get. The "pretty white girl" however certainly did not!

Don't turn this into a race issue, it's got nothing to do with it. This is just right vs. wrong!

W*NKER!

Shame Shame.........

What f***ing planet are you on...?

She was "pretty", she was "innocent", she was a "victim" - SHE'S NOW DEAD!

I'm presuming that you youself are black, and for some reason have a HUGE chip on your shoulder. Anyone, not just Nigerians, who smuggle drugs deserve what they get. The "pretty white girl" however certainly did not!

Don't turn this into a race issue, it's got nothing to do with it. This is just right vs. wrong!

W*NKER!

backpacker you got it wrong sir...! he was talking about the bali case not the kanch case.

err having re read your post, i might have got it wrong oh well someone is bloody wrong.

Edited by Boatabike

At the end of the day you wil get the usual responses from western people.

If the woman had been Nigerian it would never had made it's way to this forum, the fact that she was Australian seems to have bypassed all the rules, ( What has this got to do with Thailand ? ).

White woman caught on a drug smuggling charge in Asia = She is innocent, she is a victim, she is innocent...........

19 year old UK boy caught bringing ecstacy into Thailnd = Hang him...he should have known better, let him rot........

I am very interested to know why many people here are ready to hang a man, yet refuse to believe a woman is guilty. It is shallow and unrealistic, I know many women and men in jail, none of them are innocent, they were just unlucky enough to get caught.

Bilko,

I see from your latest post that you were indeed referring to the Aussie woman case, not the Kanchanaburi case.

I apologise sincerely for getting it wrong and mis-understanding your post.

I do agree with you that this has nothing to do with Thailand, why is it being covered on this forum? I don't care if she's a woman. If she did it, she deserves what's happened.

I'm a Kanchan resident a for many years, passions running high,

Emotions now back in check...!

PEPPER-SPRAY INCIDENT: Punish officer, reporters urge

Journalists submit letter condemning alleged act following Somchai verdict

KANCHANABURI: -- Local reporters yesterday urged police to punish an officer who allegedly shot pepper spray at reporters on Thursday at the conclusion of a trial of a fellow officer convicted of murdering two British tourists.

About 20 reporters submitted a letter to local police condemning Sergeant Pattana Panompon, who they said sprayed several reporters and photographers trying to take pictures of Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh, the officer given a life sentence for the murder of Adam Lloyd and Vanessa Arscott.

“The policeman’s act obstructs the freedom and duty of the press,” said Winit Rojanawong, head of the province’s media association, who also urged police to investigate the matter and punish Pattana.

Winit said that other policeman on the scene did little to stop the spraying and that Pattana appeared to have prepared by bringing the spray to court.

Muang Kanchanaburi superintendent Colonel Vej Somboon told reporters that police had set up a committee to look into the case and urged reporters who witnessed the incident to come forward with information. “If found guilty of intentionally attacking journalists, he’ll be punished,” he said.

Vej showed reporters a bottle similar to that used by Pattana. He said the can he withdrew from police storage was already open and could be activated easily.

Pattana, who also attended the meeting yesterday, denied intentionally spraying the eye irritant at journalists but admitted that the pepper spray – which he had in a pocket in his backpack – might have been accidentally triggered.

Pattana, who was assigned with leading Somchai out of the courthouse, said he took the spray with him just in case of mob chaos.

“I was astonished when I smelled the spray and tried to cover the bag and get out of the crowd as soon as possible. I didn’t shoot at anybody,’’ Pattana said.

He apologised for the incident and offered a wai to reporters.

--The Nation 2005-05-28

Hopefully the case is too famous to allow for a switch or a quick exit.

How I wish you were right but in my experience peoples memories are all too short.

After a while this will be forgotten by most people and just how is one to find out if he is still in prison?

Ask to take a prezzie to him, toothpaste etc :o

At the end of the day you wil get the usual responses from western people.

If the woman had been Nigerian it would never had made it's way to this forum, the fact that she was Australian seems to have bypassed all the rules, ( What has this got to do with Thailand ? ).

White woman caught on a drug smuggling charge in Asia = She is innocent, she is a victim,  she is innocent...........

19 year old UK boy caught bringing ecstacy into Thailnd =  Hang him...he should have known better, let him rot........

I am very interested to know why many people here are ready to hang a man, yet refuse to believe a woman is guilty. It is shallow and unrealistic, I know many women and men in jail, none of them are innocent, they were just unlucky enough to get caught.

Bilko, Aus is outraged , not because the "victim" is female, but because it could have happened to you or me or yr granny.

Qantas baghandlers have a lot to answer for.

'Nuff said, as this is the wrong forum.

Ask to take a prezzie to him, toothpaste etc :D

If every tourist that goes to Kan goes to visit Somchai, that would make sure they(Thai justice system) don't forget him!

Make it a tourist attraction and the guards can get 100baht (slipped quietly) for a viewing. That would make sure he didn't get out, they wouldn't let the source of all that revenue go! :o