Government's Plan To Fix Football

LeungKen

I've just read this article in this morning's Guardian and felt it is a topic worthy of discussion here in the Football Forum.

I'm still not sure how it's going to be implemented (if at all) but there do seem to be a few issues that need to be addressed.

Iwill be interested to see how others think it will play out.

More here :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ma...ball-clubs-fans

The-Red-Knights-consortiu-001.jpg

think it's a good idea in theory but it does smack a little bit of vote-winning with an election on the horizon.

it's way beyond time that government got involved in football regulation though since the game is utterly incapable of regulating itself. these are not any old businesses or companies we're talking about, they're integral parts of entire communities and should be treated as such.

that's kind of the point bojangles, they're football clubs, not ordinary businesses. they're community-linked which makes clubs more like local government bodies in a way so there should be some involvement from the state.

and besides which, the supposed businesspeople currently running clubs are running them into the ground.

that's kind of the point bojangles, they're football clubs, not ordinary businesses. they're community-linked which makes clubs more like local government bodies in a way so there should be some involvement from the state.

Yes of course they are football clubs stevie but they still have to make money or they can't afford to buy players etc. When you look at how the local government make a pigs ear of running their constituencies, do you really want them involved in football !!

and besides which, the supposed businesspeople currently running clubs are running them into the ground.

But will the supporters run them into the ground even quicker :)

Considering how the current government has run the country then, having them involved in regulating anything is pretty scary. I wouldn't trust Gordon Brown and his cronies to feed my goldfish. :)

Considering how the current government has run the country then, having them involved in regulating anything is pretty scary. I wouldn't trust Gordon Brown and his cronies to feed my goldfish. :)

But neither would we want another Thaksin coming in and buying our football team.

Something does need to be done otherwise I fear that we are going to lose football teams like we've lost all our favourite brands & products to multi-national companies.

Yes of course they are football clubs stevie but they still have to make money or they can't afford to buy players etc. When you look at how the local government make a pigs ear of running their constituencies, do you really want them involved in football !!

they don't have to make money, they just have to break even. transfer budgets are factored into operating costs and were always based on turnover, not absurd leveraged buyouts and gigantic loans like we have now.

and yes, i wasn't implying that local government quangos should be in charge of clubs, but that football needs an independent regulator or ombudsman with the power to levy proper fines and penalties on clubs which operate outside of the game's regulations. the game's proven incapable of regulating itself so put someone in charge who doesn't have a vested interest in feathering their own nest.

why would they? it's in supporters' own interests to ensure that the club is well run and managed. barcelona manage it just fine.

they don't have to make money, they just have to break even.

Stevie, you have just given a perfect example as to why it should be businessmen who run the clubs. I'm sure I don't have to give a lesson in business but of course you have to make money to break even. Similarly, even profitable companies can go bankrupt. Football supporters who haven't been exposed to the world of business and profit and loss accounts etc. will not be able to make decisions based on sound financial judgements.

why would they? it's in supporters' own interests to ensure that the club is well run and managed.

Because supporters have a passionate interest and thus make decisions of the heart and not of the head.

Stevie, you have just given a perfect example as to why it should be businessmen who run the clubs. I'm sure I don't have to give a lesson in business but of course you have to make money to break even. Similarly, even profitable companies can go bankrupt. Football supporters who haven't been exposed to the world of business and profit and loss accounts etc. will not be able to make decisions based on sound financial judgements.

Because supporters have a passionate interest and thus make decisions of the heart and not of the head.

i'm not advocating john the plumber who has had a season ticket at upton park for twenty years being the CFO, bojangles. barcelona are superbly well run with experienced businesspeople in key positions but fans are able to have a say and influence club policy and direction. which is as it should be.