Marriage Documentation

:o Hi all,

I've only just found this forum - I think it's great! I've a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

Having met a lovely Thai girl, it is more than likely we will eventually get married in Thailand (Udon) and then live in Australia (where I am based). I'm an Australian citizen.

From the Australian side, as I live here and am a citizen I can find out what I need to do (Spouse Sponsorship) so that isn't a problem.

What I'm having trouble understanding is what is required from the Thai side. For example:

1) What visa do I need to get to enter Thailand for a visit and to get married? (Different visa's required?)

2) What documentation do I need to provide for marriage to a Thai national in Thailand? (passport presumably - other?)

3) We both have been married before and neither of us have children. I know that I have to present a translated divorce settlement to Thai officials. Anything else I need to provide?

4) As she has been married before (and I read a post about someone not being able to get married because the spouse had not finalised her divorce), what do I need to check so I am sure she is divorced? (Yes I will ask her, but I want to know what steps she should have taken to get divorced).

Can't think of anything else right now. Just hoping someon has gone through the same - gone to Thailand, got married, come back to Australia with Thai wife.

Thanks for reading my questions!

Cheers

Phil :D

1. Any

2. Passport, divorce paperwork and most important paper from your Embassy giving details of your ability to marry (embassy might require something so best to check web or call them). This paper then has to be translated into Thai and registered with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs making it a legal document. It must be presented to the district office you marry at. Oz Embassy web site may have detailed information (most do).

3. The paper from Embassy as mentioned above. You may need witness and an English/Thai speaker to translate at the district office (as you have to sign paperwork and it is good to know what it says). :o

4. If she was legally married a divorce is done in the same way as marriage with both parties appearing at the district office and signing paperwork. Believe there is a catch 22 however in the a woman must not remarry for 9 months in case there is a child - but that it can be waved with doctor certificate.