Std Tests

George III

I have found this forum extremely helpful so want to also contribute as much as possible for the benefit of others. So here's something that may be relevant to others.

Getting an STD test - fairly simple.

I went to the Rajthewi Hospital in Phayathai/Bkk today. Except for the doctor hardly anyone spoke English (and yes, my phasa Thai is very bad indeed). The whole process took about one and a half hours despite the place being rather busy. The staff were very friendly (they have non-medical staff running around just to answer questions and point people in the right direction)

Steps involved:

1. Take your passport, go to medical records in OUTPATIENTS and say you want HIV test (they didnt understand 'STD' test)

2. I was entered into a line for waiting to see a doctor/nurse - she then explained what tests they will perform (HIV, Heptatis and some other thing that I cant spell, ie all blood tests), when I come back for my result and how much it will cost.

3. Next I paid for the experience (260 baht)

4. Then they took the blood test and told me to come back the next day for the result.

(Obviously they didn't test for the whole STD range - but i presume i could get this done at other places also.)

So now you have no excuse for not getting yourself tested :o

Edited by George III

A good start, and we all hope your tests prove negative. However, one suggestion.

Do not assume or presume anything. If your decision to have these tests were for the obvious reason, make sure you are tested for EVERY potential STD. (HIV is not the only life-threatening STD).

You owe this, not only to yourself, but any future partner.

good luck :o

1. Take your passport, go to medical records in OUTPATIENTS and say you want HIV test (they didnt understand 'STD' test)

If you turn out to be HIV positive, will they stamp it in your passport?

A good start, and we all hope your tests prove negative. However, one suggestion.

Do not assume or presume anything. If your decision to have these tests were for the obvious reason, make sure you are tested for EVERY potential STD. (HIV is not the only life-threatening STD).

Being a fairly responsible single adult, I get a regular check-up every couple of years and tought it would be less hassle here than doing it in the UK. Given that they are only testing for three items, I'll have to make a visit to the London clinics anyways (agree with the above, I owe this particular to other people!!).

Passport - you show this only at the beginning so that you get to see the doctor. So, no presumably they are not going to put any stamps in my passport.

Edited by George III

• 6 months later...

Being a fairly responsible single adult, I get a regular check-up every couple of years and tought it would be less hassle here than doing it in the UK. Given that they are only testing for three items, I'll have to make a visit to the London clinics anyways (agree with the above, I owe this particular to other people!!).

Passport - you show this only at the beginning so that you get to see the doctor. So, no presumably they are not going to put any stamps in my passport.

http://www.stdservices.on.net/clinic275/check-up.htm has a reasonably good outline of what is (should be) done in STD tests- blood tests certainly don't pick everything up.