Lost My Only Key For My Cbr 150 Can A Locksmith Copy A New Key?

bkkdawg

Hi all,

I lost my only key for my Honda CBR 150. I have read some other motorcycling forums, and some people are saying they've had a new key made by a locksmith. Does anyone know of a Mobile Locksmith in Bangkok who carries out this kind of work? Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

At one stage, we lost our keys for the Wave we had at that time and we bought the whole ignition unit (keys+lock) for app. 500 bath. I don't know if the CBR uses same type of unit, maybe, you can go ask a Honda dealer.

a competent locksmith can make you a key without the original key....it's known as 'key' impressioning, where they look at the marks the tumbler pins make on a blank key, and can devise the the ridge heights on the missing key.

My friend also lost his CBR key and the locksmith used impressioning to make a new key.

Consider yourself lucky that Honda havent moved to the same security they have with some of their bigger bikes.....my CBR600 has just two keys, both with chips inside them, if I lose both I have to replace the entire security computer system & its apparently very expensive....so if I lose one key, first priority will always be to have another key made (which can be done) without running around with only 1 key.

a competent locksmith can make you a key without the original key....it's known as 'key' impressioning, where they look at the marks the tumbler pins make on a blank key, and can devise the the ridge heights on the missing key.

My friend also lost his CBR key and the locksmith used impressioning to make a new key.

You'v been watching to many films. The pins leave no marks on a blank and how would you know the depth measurement of each pin travel. The barrel has to be dismantalled to find the depths but a run of the mill barrel, just stick a new one in, cheaper.

BUT, a Thai might spend two days fiddling with a file to make a key your way for a nice little earner but in the real world, doesn't work like that.

OP, new barrel at Main Dealer. Cheap and "NO" future headaches. :)

hi

Ive just been down to the bike shop at Ratchayothin, I think it's some sort of Honda Dealership as they're all wearing Honda jackets. They just quoted me 2650 Baht for a new key set! Any ideas where I might find a better price as another poster mentioned only paying 800 Baht.

Cheers

Any chance this locksmith is in bkk? If so do u have his contact details. Thanks

You'v been watching to many films. The pins leave no marks on a blank and how would you know the depth measurement of each pin travel. The barrel has to be dismantalled to find the depths but a run of the mill barrel, just stick a new one in, cheaper.

BUT, a Thai might spend two days fiddling with a file to make a key your way for a nice little earner but in the real world, doesn't work like that.

It is very possible and it has been done...not only here but also back in the states when i lost the key to my trans am. Many Thais are much more clever than people give them credit for.

With all the motorcycles here im sure a lost key is nothing new to a well seasoned thai locksmith.

My friend lived in the klong than/ rama 4 intersection area so i suppose the locksmith is around there. If you have a thai girlfriend you might be able to get her to look in a thai phonebook.

Sorry transam, but I've seen this so called 'impressioning' done first hand in Mexico when the keys were lost for a Golf Gti we had. It was quite humbling seeing how quick they were at getting in with their new key. The guy as described had a blank of the right style and just filed the highs and lows after tapping the key up and down vertically in the lock - I guess this is what makes the first marks. It really is impressive to watch and 100% real.

http://www.gregmiller.net/locks/impress.html

Edited by Pomthai

I dont know how it was done, but I have seen it multiple times.. Lost Key, Thai locksmith, new key in about 1 - 2 hours..

Key worked for years and had copies made from it..

They can do it here without disassembling the unit. I have had it done to all keys/locks on my bike

Must have better eyes than the UK or want the work more :D

As one of my trades is a Locksmith, l beg to differ. If it's possible the barrel can be removed on the bike and a key made, great but if not the lock/etc must be removed and the best choice is a new barrel. If a guy cuts a key and it "just" works and you won't know it "just" works, until one day it won't work and you will be stranded. :D

Sorry, Maybe I dreamed I'd my keys replaced and they have worked for years on my Bike. The thing I cannot understand, is why these other posters have had the same dream as me :):D:D

Hope you make a good living out of one of your other many trades :D

As stated, the locksmith didnt take days.. The whole process was done in a couple of hours max.. Easily less time than it would have taken to remove the barrel, go get a new one from Honda, and replace..

As someone who is claiming to be a professional you would assume you know this.

The barrel has to be dismantalled
a Thai might spend two days fiddling with a file to make a key your way for a nice little earner but in the real world, doesn't work like that.
until one day it won't work and you will be stranded.

Your words not mine.. I maintain.. your wrong on these 'Mr professional'.

Hi All,

I had a locksmith come over yesterday afternoon, and after 2 and a half hours of filing and measuring, or whatever he was doing, I have a new key that fits every lock on the bike perfectly! Cost me 800 Baht, which is a fraction of the cost of a new key set.

So, we'll see how it goes, but so far so good. Thank you all for very helpful info...

Cheers

Yes, we had this a few years ago in Chiang-Mai with a XR-250. I found a keyshop near the railways, where 2 mechanics did this job. 1 looked inside with magnifying glass and told the other several numbers, whose made the marks in a key and............. surprise, with the yery first try the key could to be used. It was a little wonder and I asked myself, for what are keys for, if somebody can open the bike or door in less than a minute.

OP

I'm sure we'll all be relieved if you decide to have a second key made. I am not going to reveal here how I know how ____ I felt when.... in a similar situation. Long ago, of course.