Fatal Accident

harrybua

Hate to ask, but can you say how it happened? I am new to driving here and dealing with these crazy scooter drivers is tough. I have to dodge them every day! It is just a matter of time before something happens....

Sorry...this thread moved faster than my fingers allowed! :)

I've been driving here for nearly 20 years. I check and double check and check again before changing lanes etc., because vehicles, especially motorcycles, seem to regularly & suddenly appear out of nowhere.

I check even more thououghly for what I find is a dangerous blind spot - vehicles on my left side and just behind, and somehow there's a certain distance where they don't seem to be evident on my rearview mirrors. I watch for these guys very carefully by turning my body and looking back before I change to a left side lane.

I find U turns are the same, you need to check again and again before actually turning.

To the OP, hope it's all fully settled quickly. Good luck.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I had to avoid a motorcycle lying on the road with two girls that were thrown off. I wrecked my car by trying to avoid the carnage and I hit a tree. No problem because there were witnesses that saw that an army Hummer had hit the girls. It was in front of a petrol station so the boys and girls working there witnessed it. After ten days the police came to see me and arrested me. They had made up their mind and although my car was wrecked ten meters before the motorcycle was laying on the road they pointed to me as the person who caused the accident.

If you are lucky you do not go to jail, try to make a deal with the family of the motorcyclist. On average prices range from 20,000 to 200,000 for an accident. Unless you hit a very expensive person (police friend, bureaucrat). If you settle you get a fine of up to 15,000 baht which is for Thai people a small fortune.

If you do not settle you end up behind bars for 1,5 to 2 years. As you might know by now you have to report to the court every 12 days or so. If you get sentenced make sure you have a good understanding with the prosecutor and judge. If not you will be taken to immigration and you will be declared persona non grata because you have a criminal record. In my case I had no trouble although they first wanted me locked up till the fine was paid. Money is mostly paid in the court room to the family. Make sure that you get written statements.

nonesense...........

ph

Pricks like you Scorecard make me sick which is why i dont post on here these days. The OP was asking for advice not to be patronised !!!

I thought scorecard had some very good advice in his post! I do the same now as I have hit a bike myself in the past. He is right, everyone should check there mirrors and double check the blind spots.

It could save a lot of headaches!

Good luck to the OP.

Personally I had to avoid a motorcycle lying on the road with two girls that were thrown off. I wrecked my car by trying to avoid the carnage and I hit a tree. No problem because there were witnesses that saw that an army Hummer had hit the girls. It was in front of a petrol station so the boys and girls working there witnessed it. After ten days the police came to see me and arrested me. They had made up their mind and although my car was wrecked ten meters before the motorcycle was laying on the road they pointed to me as the person who caused the accident.

If you are lucky you do not go to jail, try to make a deal with the family of the motorcyclist. On average prices range from 20,000 to 200,000 for an accident. Unless you hit a very expensive person (police friend, bureaucrat). If you settle you get a fine of up to 15,000 baht which is for Thai people a small fortune.

If you do not settle you end up behind bars for 1,5 to 2 years. As you might know by now you have to report to the court every 12 days or so. If you get sentenced make sure you have a good understanding with the prosecutor and judge. If not you will be taken to immigration and you will be declared persona non grata because you have a criminal record. In my case I had no trouble although they first wanted me locked up till the fine was paid. Money is mostly paid in the court room to the family. Make sure that you get written statements.

nonesense...........

ph

why nonsense... sounds like a horror story? what part is inaccurate (genuine question) - we all need to know what to do in this situation

Sorry to but in like this but I have read through this entire thread shaking my head and slowly getting angrier and angrier.

There seems to be some vital information that Harry from Ubon has deliberately missed out in regards to the death of one person and the hospitalisation (ICU) of another.

I ask you this Harry. Where you or were you not fall down drunk the night of your accident?

Sorry to but in like this but I have read through this entire thread shaking my head and slowly getting angrier and angrier.

There seems to be some vital information that Harry from Ubon has deliberately missed out in regards to the death of one person and the hospitalisation (ICU) of another.

I ask you this Harry. Where you or were you not fall down drunk the night of your accident?

,,and this is your first post, and YOU have read the entire thread?, regardless of whether or not he was drunk in the night on the in question, he was NOT in control of his car, as he was asleep, so unless you have some very damning evidence, go back to where you have come from.

p.s. your English is not too good either...........

,,and this is your first post, and YOU have read the entire thread?, regardless of whether or not he was drunk in the night on the in question, he was NOT in control of his car, as he was asleep, so unless you have some very damning evidence, go back to where you have come from.

Well, if Harry was heavily intoxicated then there is a lot more to the whole thing, isn't there?

Just because it is someones first post doesn't mean you have to discount it. :)

If their is indeed more evidence, then we would all I am sure like to hear it. First that I heard that another person was in ICU after this accident. If so I presume it was a pillion, and if so lets hear some voices.

This thread has been bumped by exubon, strange that this is first contribution to TV, because indeed it would need to be at the top of the sub forum, and you would of have to wade through all the posts before you got to this one.

'peace'

Forkin, sue your not confusing this with the Phuket incident?

The OP has already admitted he was driving at the time of the accident.

BigWheelMan, Do you have a link to this, I am sure it would hit the press if true and not more to it. Really, why do you let your daughter ride a motorcye to work and not buy her a car if you are so scared, yes you have every reason to be scared of her getting killed in this country, but you seem to admit you know the risk but just want revenge.

"Quite honestly, this being Thailand and a Farang being the cause of a fatal accident, means that the OP is owned.

Same thing happened to a friend in Bangkok and he received a fine of 400000 baht and a 5 year prison sentance."

The OP should have done it Thai style, hit and run as that is the normal action in Thailand. Sadly.

So what if my English is not perfect, that is not the question here. (I will spell check this post just to make you happy.) I was in Ubon for the last few months and have now just arrived home. To keep in touch with the place I started reading this forum and came across this thread. I signed up after reading it. I did not 'bump it' as Forkinhades suggested. You will notice before my first post that two people had already posted today.

It seemed to me that it was common knowledge amongst the expats in Ubon that he was extremely intoxicated the night of the crash. Of course not having seen him myself that night I would like Harry to answer my question truthfully as I believe it does change the slant on this topic if in fact it is true.

EDIT: sorry didn't see you response where you had mixed up the threads. Apology accepted :)

Edited by exubon

Hope the best for you as it was an accident, you are remorsefull, you tried to make the living better off and even helped send the dead on its way peacefully.

The blood money was high. Usually means the family status was a bit above average.

Get the best attorney one with political power. Unfortunately court is not predictable in any country. If the family stays out of it or does not press the court to seek court justice you have a good chance of getting mercy no time or less than a year. That is advice from a retired Thai attorney that practiced in the north.

He said your biggest hinderance will be the family of the victim.

Best of luck

So what if my English is not perfect, that is not the question here. (I will spell check this post just to make you happy.) I was in Ubon for the last few months and have now just arrived home. To keep in touch with the place I started reading this forum and came across this thread. I signed up after reading it. I did not 'bump it' as Forkinhades suggested. You will notice before my first post that two people had already posted today.

It seemed to me that it was common knowledge amongst the expats in Ubon that he was extremely intoxicated the night of the crash. Of course not having seen him myself that night I would like Harry to answer my question truthfully as I believe it does change the slant on this topic if in fact it is true.

EDIT: sorry didn't see you response where you had mixed up the threads. Apology accepted :)

ok ok, seems you are quite adamant, now I need to sleep, will respond in the morning :D