French Cheese

simoncnx

although some expats think the cheese is not so good... I've never tried it.

Unhappily, I'd have to agree with what "some expats" think about their cheese.I recently bought a great big chunk of what they called " Cheddar Cheese".Now you don't have to have lived within a few miles of The Cheddar Gorge, as I have, to know what Cheddar Cheese tastes like. Their's has as much connectio0n with the real thing as a piece of processed blackboard chalk. It's absloutely disgusting and it went straight into my local moat. I hope the fish didn't suffer too much. So what their Brie or Camemberrt resembles I daren't imagine.

although some expats think the cheese is not so good... I've never tried it.

Unhappily, I'd have to agree with what "some expats" think about their cheese.I recently bought a great big chunk of what they called " Cheddar Cheese".Now you don't have to have lived within a few miles of The Cheddar Gorge, as I have, to know what Cheddar Cheese tastes like. Their's has as much connectio0n with the real thing as a piece of processed blackboard chalk. It's absloutely disgusting and it went straight into my local moat. I hope the fish didn't suffer too much. So what their Brie or Camemberrt resembles I daren't imagine.

um where did you but it si i dontmake the same mistake

Glad somebody raised the issue.

Perhaps we should look at it in broader terms. Thailand is a low cost of living place.

But only for the mainstream, including food. As soon as I try to get the non-traditional food, it is all unjustifiably overpriced. Just look at the prices of DRIED FRUIT, FRESH FRUIT, OLIVES, CHEESES, HERRING, OLIVE OIL, WINES, etc...

I don't think import taxes are responsible. They exist everywhere. I don't think transport costs are responsible. There are countries further away than Thailand.

Can somebody come up with an explanation?

Maybe a solution?

I would love to save the money AND see a big uncomfortable stirr under the Big Retailers <deleted> :)

As soon as I try to get the non-traditional food, it is all unjustifiably overpriced. Just look at the prices of DRIED FRUIT, FRESH FRUIT, OLIVES, CHEESES, HERRING, OLIVE OIL, WINES, etc...

Why is it unjustifiable to charge high prices when catering to a particular niche/fringe? (I can scarcely imagine the complaining from, say, a Japanese person in Britain wanting to eat top of the line Japanese foods. :)

I'm not disagreeing that it's expensive, I'm disagreeing that it's unjustifyable.

EDIT: Except for the wine. :D

I think fresh fruit and veg if you go to the markets are one of Thailand's gems and most certainly not overpriced. The supermarkets however, do charge high prices for fruit and it's not as fresh.

I agree on the dried fruit, I'm not sure how it gets to be such a high price?

It would be nice to get 3 bottles of red wine for a tenner.

Dacheesos Cheddar, needs a lot of work.

www.thecheesemaker.com

well im thinking of buying 1 of their kits - i spoke to steve the owner and he says he has sent kits to people in bkk - anyone tried them?

also i really need to find a source of raw milk to get that real french taste - can anyone help? a free brie to you if you can help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good but asking an American about French cheese? :)

Mature cheese is another (small) problem, but it is normal as Thais don't like to eat Schet. :D

At the moment I'm not complaining, I have some 2-year old cheese at home, something like "Old Dutch" but just a little better. :D I open a bottle of wine as it is to good for bread.

I haven't been back in the USA for 4 years but the prices of imported cheeses here compares very favorably to the prices in the USA. And you can't get young raw milk cheese like Camembert in the USA. It's prohibited by the FDA. I never understood the appeal of Camembert until I ate some made from raw milk. It's an extraordinary cheese. In fact, I thought that Thailand might want to boost tourism with some slogan like "Amazing Thailand Amazing Camembert".

Anyway, according to guest visiting from the states, the imported french and italian stuff is actually a bit cheaper here than in the USA. I can't speak for the EU countries authoritatively but I remember from my days of visiting there that even high end products that were local weren't all that much cheaper there than they were in the USA

Well have you noticed that a product if it is for a farrang even when it produced in Thailand , where the ingredients and labor is a lot cheaper .

When the product hits the market it is almost more expensive or more expensive the you buy it in Europe.

Well have you noticed that a product if it is for a farrang even when it produced in Thailand , where the ingredients and labor is a lot cheaper .

When the product hits the market it is almost more expensive or more expensive the you buy it in Europe.

The EU gives massive subsidies to farmers. If that wasn't the case, the prices would be a lot higher, or, many of the products would go out of production.

www.thecheesemaker.com

well im thinking of buying 1 of their kits - i spoke to steve the owner and he says he has sent kits to people in bkk - anyone tried them?

also i really need to find a source of raw milk to get that real french taste - can anyone help? a free brie to you if you can help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simoncnx . I have been pondering the smae myself - not for the love of profit - for the love of cheese!

My bill for a swiss cheese comes to this:

Mesophilic Aromatic Type B MAB10 - Aroma B Small $ 7.15 $ 7.15

Propionibacteria P10 - Small $ 12.50 $ 12.50

Veal Rennet VR67 - 2oz $ 6.50 $ 6.50

Tome/St-Paulin mold and lid. M80 - DC-PF3889001 bottom & lid set $ 26.40 $ 26.40

Cheese Cloth CC10 - 1m x 1m $ 11.30 $ 11.30

Citric Acid CA10 - One pound $ 6.35

Merchandise Total: $ 70.20

Then I have to rig up a cheese press, buy a food thermometer, a humidity thermometer and some pots n pans. Eventually a dedicated fridge/cave.

Think it will set me back 3,000-5,000 baht plus,

Then I will flog my cheese on Thai Visa for 500 baht a slice to get my money back!

-------------------

The reason I have stalled is because I initially wanted to do a brie, then a cheddar, then a swiss.... then a huge parmesan!!!

all of which require different bits of kit!!!

and the parmesan - i would only know if it was any good after 1 year!!!!

-------------------

I can get milk from two sources.... a dairy farm collection point ( the farmers roll up on motorbike cart things with the milk pails)

and as a coincidence - I live down the road from the company that makes all the milk cartoned milk for school... it has two or more large tetra pak carton machines (each costing a squillion baht)... and my wifes best friend is the accountant...

so... if i cant convince the hi-so owner of the plant... I can go to the milk subsation out in the country.

so in short...

if you fancy giving it a go... maybe we can work together.... get a chesse press sorted ( two at once) and source the milk, share the microbes etc..

PM me for email, i will direct you to awesome cheese forum!

Edited by whiterussian

Sent you a PM simoncnx...

anybody else wanting to pool cheese knowledge!! please contact me!

Need to source:

cooking thermometers

humidity checking whatsits

big ass stainless steel vat things

pH meters

second hand cabinet display type fridges that i can set temp on...

see; http://sites.google.com/site/urbanfarmstea...rmesan-2-281208

droooool!

Edited by whiterussian

To state the obvious....

Just as in the bye-bye to Guinness in another thread...good French cheese (usually found at Carrefour or Rimping) is disappearing.

UG hit the nail on the head- no market.

If more people were buying, there would be enough profit for retailers to continue importing, irregardless of Thai gov't taxes.

Very few people are buying these specialty products now, hence they disappear.

I was in Carrefour this afternoon....absolutely pi_s all decent French cheese selection.

For cheddar, buy Mainland Vintage (New Zealand). Forget DaCheso.

DaCheso mozzarella is passably decent as a melt cheese on home made pizza.

They do have some other unique products available at their outlet which I often buy- altogether a good resource.

No big deal, I can live without Brie. But don't mess with my wine, or I'll start whining.....