Auto Bikes

neverdie

it almost comes down to what colour you want . . . I had a long-term rental Yamaha Nouvo, still going strong with 48,000km on the clock, just a bit clunky starting off when cold, but it had a hard life.

Then bought a Fino last November, since then I've averaged 290km a week, every week, 90% of that with a pillion, it's been faultless, can't blame Yamaha for the three punctures. It suits Phuket, though we've done some longer day trips onto mainland also.

On the farm we've got a Honda 125 manual (Sonic ?) that seems indestructible, potholes and dirt roads it's a better option there than the Fino would be.

My neighbour just bought a new Suzuki Hayate replacing his Click he's a big bloke and the taller bike suits him, and it does accelrate quicker then the Fino in our informal drag races.

I haven't read any reports of these Japanese scooters having any mechanical weaknesses, the auto transmissions (as per my Nouvo) have a long life.

My neighbour just bought a new Suzuki Hayate replacing his Click he's a big bloke and the taller bike suits him, and it does accelrate quicker then the Fino in our informal drag races.

and this faster Hayate has a carbed 125cc aircooled, but rather powerful compared to the rest of auto scoots

Thanks Oze, I am a Yamaha man from wayback, so I will definately be taking a look at the elegance....although I must point out that someone else here will stongly enfluence things on the look factor (according to her), so I will have to balance it all out, keeping in mind my care factor is fairly low because I have my eyes on something much more beautiful for myself :)

Probably bigger than mine, I bought a new Yamaha 500cc T-MAX auto. Top speed 200KPH runs like a dream, very quick and handles like a dream. Did a trip with Yamaha to the Malaysian MotoGP on to Singapore and return.

Had to go quick to keep up to the big Yammies. Odly enough the T-MAX is longer and wider but lighter than the big FJR 1300, so out corners it through the mountains, great road holding on powering through the corners. I love it, bought it at the last Bangna Motor Show. Going to this one on Saturday. :D

Thanks Oze, I am a Yamaha man from wayback, so I will definately be taking a look at the elegance....although I must point out that someone else here will stongly enfluence things on the look factor (according to her), so I will have to balance it all out, keeping in mind my care factor is fairly low because I have my eyes on something much more beautiful for myself :D

'fess up, what are you getting? :D

Auto buzz box, thats all, just to poke around locally on & for someone else here to learn to ride (finally) :)

it almost comes down to what colour you want . . . I had a long-term rental Yamaha Nouvo, still going strong with 48,000km on the clock, just a bit clunky starting off when cold, but it had a hard life.

Then bought a Fino last November, since then I've averaged 290km a week, every week, 90% of that with a pillion, it's been faultless, can't blame Yamaha for the three punctures. It suits Phuket, though we've done some longer day trips onto mainland also.

On the farm we've got a Honda 125 manual (Sonic ?) that seems indestructible, potholes and dirt roads it's a better option there than the Fino would be.

I haven't read any reports of these Japanese scooters having any mechanical weaknesses, the auto transmissions (as per my Nouvo) have a long life.

Thanks for that info.

I like old bikes.. Today, I ride a simple 10 or 12 year old Honda Phantom which all tricked out with a small handle bars (not stock) all the names have been removed in the tank.. (I think it makes it go faster..maybe..)

In the states back in my day I rode a 1947 Harley on the road and a small Ducati for getting around town..

Good luck with dem small bikes.. I rode a rented one once..it was sorta slow..

^Thanks jack, as long as it goes 80km/h slow, thats fast enough for me.

Interestingly, all these little autos Ive ever seen sling shot away from the lights and are quite punchy up to 60 odd.

I certainly have no intent of entering in any races :)

^Thanks jack, as long as it goes 80km/h slow, thats fast enough for me.

Interestingly, all these little autos Ive ever seen sling shot away from the lights and are quite punchy up to 60 odd.

I certainly have no intent of entering in any races :)

Agreed. When I was driving my Nouvo Elegance yesterday (this time solo) I was thinking, "THis thing goes like a bat out of hel_l. Even got on Sukamit where I'd have to speed up to get way over to the right lane staring in the far left lane so that I could make a turn. I'm guessing Yamaha has it all figured out that the average driver is not going even 90 kilometers per hour let alone 120 and they've all got it down to a science, figuring the average driver is doing 90 percent of his driving between 10 and 60 kilometers per hour. So Yamaha has deigned both the engine and the gearing to deliver maximum performance in that range. Now if you are driving a manual tranmission bike in this speed range you are going to be in a high gear which is great for fuel economy but you are going to have to drop down a couple of gears to get your rpms up. WIth the Elegance you just blip the throttle and bam, you are there. The same is true for other automatics. Truth is there's plenty of useful power on tap all the time with thtat 135 c.c. engine (of the Elegance) and a lot of torque--more than enough to make me not ask for any more when I consider, "What kind of conditions am I driving in (nearly all the time) and how well does the Yamaha Nouvo handle these driving condtions with the power and gearing it has. It really is about letter perfect at doing what it is designed to do.

^Yes, what you say is true Jack.

It is also interesting these days when it comes to Auto cars. Many people, including myself prefer manual......but as for a matter of performance, when it comes down to accelerating from a standing stop, the autos are much easier to get moving than the manual. These days, most people can punch the throttle and accelerate away with little fuss & with fair speed. The same people driving manual cars can make an aweful mess of it and their time over a measured distance, actually slower than their auto time.

I like manuals, to me the difference between a manual & auto is that the manual is a DRIVERS car, while the auto is a MOVERS car.

I need a little auto bike for this job, I find the seat on the fino's/scoopy quite comfortable......verses my more narrow seat on my raider scooter. Perhaps my backside is getting wider :) .

Thanks for all your help.

I have not raced them, but I found both the Skydrive 125-I and 110cc-i Airblade very quick off the line for what they are, with the Honda surprising me. Anyone can easily dust off the kidz with any sort of manual transmission assuming the same sized and unmodified engines. Both of these bikes seemed to like cruise around 80km/h better than the Wave 125 I had rented for some months, which settled nicely at 60, probably just gearing.

It's in this range of speed, though, that the 125 tells over the 110, and going uphill, I think, though it's probably not important for your "mission."

I too am considering a "country" bike. Hmm.

You might want to check out the new wave auto's, I just bought one and it is a nice bike, and the ole lady is a wave diehard so she is happy. Having dual rear shocks is the only way to go for bigger western bodies, all of the single shock bikes seem so wobbly when I ride them esp. two-up. The only downsides fuel usage but this is the same with all autos, and I wont get into arguing with people about this they do use alot more !!! I just dont worry about the extra baht spent. The only thing I wish it had was water cooling.

I do not understand the downer comments about the PCX. If anybody has a problem with it then they cannot ride a bike.

My mrs is a tot and loves it. Like anything you must get used to it, and anything new whether car or bike needs a little time to adjust.

We have had Click, Airblade and PCX, the PCX although feels and looks big is a dream to ride.

Duel brakes on PCX, pull on dual brake lever, applies rear brake and single piston on the front, pull on both levers, applies rear brake and all pistons in front caliper for instant stopping power. The stop start engine on the PCX is cool, where this battery killer comes from l don't know, a battery likes to be used, it will last longer.

But of course it depends what you want, a small run around or something a bit more, eeer trendy. :)

I concur with transam; the PCX is a great bike and rides very well. Costs a little more but is worth every penny. You can also switch to 'stop idle' which will keep your battery in better shape.

Thanks Oze, I am a Yamaha man from wayback, so I will definately be taking a look at the elegance....although I must point out that someone else here will stongly enfluence things on the look factor (according to her), so I will have to balance it all out, keeping in mind my care factor is fairly low because I have my eyes on something much more beautiful for myself :)

'fess up, what are you getting? :D

i will in due course, i will :D