Bogus Volunteer

I was this evening enjoying a beer or two in one of the bars along Bangrak when an english gentleman I would say in his early sixties and well presented aproached myself and the company I was in, explaining he works as a volunteer for Samui rescue and was collecting donations towards helping this good cause, after recieving aproximately 500 baht into his cash box off he went.

a few doors down in a local thai restaurant unbeknown to me was my next door neighbour, when he came into the bar he told me some elderly chap had just walked in and started asking for donations in the restaurant and had not seen a policeman sat eating his evening meal, when the policeman seen this chap his face lit up and he declared to the entire restaurant that he had been looking for this bogus collector for 12 months along with a dutch national who was his accomplice, after finishing his meal the policeman carted this bad man off to jail.

Has anybody else been taken in by this con man? if not beaware

There's a topic of the same issue that happened before. Before they were acting as a old man dumb muscle group and plentiful of people saw and spoke about them.. At the time they claimed to be collecting coin via Bangkok Samui Hospital.. summasummarum - BUSTED

people that work for samui rescue. i mean real people have I.D number on there shirt and on their cards. they might also have a car.

best thing to do is to ask for the persons name before giving the money then call samui rescue before.

it is a real shame cause samui rescue needs all the funding it can get. it is all run by volenteers. i hope that the police make them hand over all there crooked money to the charities that they were bogus collecting for as well as the other punishments

people that work for samui rescue. i mean real people have I.D number on there shirt and on their cards. they might also have a car.

best thing to do is to ask for the persons name before giving the money then call samui rescue before.

it is a real shame cause samui rescue needs all the funding it can get. it is all run by volenteers. i hope that the police make them hand over all there crooked money to the charities that they were bogus collecting for as well as the other punishments

I truly have a doubt this fake is EVER going to be seen on Samui streets... - justice is served cold when required. Tourist might have given a coin or a bill for the "cause" but as its in the past lets just see others don't arise..

Seen a lot of Thai nationals collecting ( 90% )fake, hardly seen foreigners collecting door to door, but met heaps of foreign conmen.So the story goes, round & round.

If it's true then that's good news.

As i posted before on another thread about this guy they DO get money! I've witnessed people handing over all sorts of amounts to them. They've obviously got word that people were on to them and have moved from central Chaweng and into Bangrak. I did wonder as i hadn't seen them for a while so that explains it, they simply moved to a new area.

If it's true then that's good news.

As i posted before on another thread about this guy they DO get money! I've witnessed people handing over all sorts of amounts to them. They've obviously got word that people were on to them and have moved from central Chaweng and into Bangrak. I did wonder as i hadn't seen them for a while so that explains it, they simply moved to a new area.

Sounds like the bloke, and his younger accomplice, who came in to my bar in Chaweng and got rather a rough reception from a bunch of bikers. So he moved on to the more sedate Bangrak!!! :)

A couple of monks came into the bar last Christmas Day collecting money and cleaned up! Good business sense. :)

I don't believe anyone other than a tourist would give money to these two people. And Bangrak bars aren't exactly full of holidaymakers. If they went there looking to make money they can't be too bright!

A couple of monks came into the bar last Christmas Day collecting money and cleaned up! Good business sense. :D

I don't believe anyone other than a tourist would give money to these two people. And Bangrak bars aren't exactly full of holidaymakers. If they went there looking to make money they can't be too bright!

:) Well on Chaweng beach you quite often find phony monks collecting, they're easy to spot as they have long pants under their robes. Then there are the cute boy scouts who can't believe what an easy touch farang tourists are and then of course the eternal blind guy being led by a lady with a music box. Its fun to watch him step over the long tail boat's mooring lines along the beach without any help !

like i said , this guy was very plausable, neat and well spoken, the scary thing is he did have a form of I D card on his shirt, the one thing that struck me as odd was, he placed the collection tin under his arm whilst he got out a form explaining Samui rescue's agenda, when he did this there was no clatter of coins from the tin? i just assumed he had just started collecting. it's a shame because ars****s like him will stop people donating to the real causes.

don't think that the law is as tough on beggers as it is on drug dealing. if so then begging might be a easier way to make dirty money. i hope these beggers get kicked out and black listed as if they were dealers. i have seen the work of the rescue volenteers and believe me it is not easy and not for everyone. lets just say u need a strong stomache for the job and to think that none of the volenteers ( thai nationals ) mainly and some forang do it for free. To have a charity take the chocholate digestive makes me sick.

like i said , this guy was very plausable, neat and well spoken, the scary thing is he did have a form of I D card on his shirt, the one thing that struck me as odd was, he placed the collection tin under his arm whilst he got out a form explaining Samui rescue's agenda, when he did this there was no clatter of coins from the tin? i just assumed he had just started collecting. it's a shame because ars****s like him will stop people donating to the real causes.

yes i agree with u. u can donate direct in the rescue centers. 1 in bohput they have a box. i have put in from time to time. nice people there. geniun nice people.

• 3 weeks later...
BUSTED!... That's awesome! Samui Karma always catches up in the end... :D

:) Busted ? The guy ( tall, slim, about 60, wears glasses) was collecting on Chaweng beach again yesterday (Fri) fully armed with an important looking clipboard. Will prepare to ambush the low life and get his pic today !

BUSTED!... That's awesome! Samui Karma always catches up in the end... :D

:) Busted ? The guy ( tall, slim, about 60, wears glasses) was collecting on Chaweng beach again yesterday (Fri) fully armed with an important looking clipboard. Will prepare to ambush the low life and get his pic today !

same description fella was doing the rounds in banrak about 9-10 days ago,

when asked for credentials and work permit, he mumbled some gibberish about lookining into at their office,

he was then asked if it was possible to call samui rescue to verify he was not bogus, for some bizzare reason , he didnt have the number with him :D ,

needless to say he made a sharp exit with two words ringing in hes ears