What About That Rental Deposit?

Siki

Has anyone worked out reasonable way to structure the deposit on a condo rental so that the owner is less likely to steal it.

Probably goes without saying that I should get a copy of the owners ID, his complete address, and place of work.

Who has experience with this?

Aloha

Why not have a specific clause in the lease agreement that

the Landlord must pay the deposit back to you at the same

time as you hand back the keys ? There is of course likely

to be a provision to deduct any amounts for damage

- but if there isnt any damage and all the utilities have been

paid - there is no reason why you shouldnt get an

immedaite refund of the deposit as you vacate ?

Check the place out carefully with the owner,and make a note of any defects on the contract.Things such as cracked tiles or screw holes in the wall,marks on the furniture.

Long time ago I had an apartment in soi 36 Bangkok,when it came to leave they tried to charge me B100 for all the places where previous tenants had hung pictures

Check the place out carefully with the owner,and make a note of any defects on the contract.Things such as cracked tiles or screw holes in the wall,marks on the furniture.

Long time ago I had an apartment in soi 36 Bangkok,when it came to leave they tried to charge me B100 for all the places where previous tenants had hung pictures

yeah. its true, you should be carefully check the contract as well the location of the building. normally they required a deposit of 3-6 mothns. :o

Siki,

during your initial inspection take a camera along, be it still or video. This way you can document all damage done before your arrival and have irrefutable proof that it was not you. The other positive by doing this is that the landlord will realise your no fool.

Good luck.

...Probably goes without saying that I should get a copy of the owners ID, his complete address, and place of work...

Yes, do that, and check that the contract specifies the deposit amount, and specifies that it must be returned at the end of the contract, less costs for any damage. And get a receipt for the deposit cash - and each month's rent - when you give it.

My landlord did all the above, no problems.

You may also be able to agree with your landlord to not pay rent for the last few months that equate to the deposit - so if you pay 3 months deposit up front, you stop paying rent 3 months from the end of your contract. By that time, your landlord will know whether or not you are the type of person who will trash the place during the last three months. :o

It is not just damage, it is unpaid bills that can cause a problem, as they do not turn up until 2 months later.

Unless you are still around to collect the residue of the deposit after settling the bills you

can say goodbye to it.

Life is tough!!

It is not just damage, it is unpaid bills that can cause a problem, as they do not turn up until 2 months later.

Unless you are still around to collect the residue of the deposit after settling the bills you

can say goodbye to it.

Life is tough!!

Sorry, forgot about the electric and phone bills. My landlord kept some of the deposit money for those. He mailed me the bills and put the difference back in my bank account. But he was a good guy. :D

/edit: And he knew I was staying in Thailand :o

Edited by RDN

Extremely difficult to find a foolproof system for not being ripped off in Thailand. Was done fror 8000 baht when I left my last property. They know that for a relatively small amount you're not going to take them to Court .

The only problem that I've had was with an Englishman called Dave who rented me a house in Suk Sabai,Pattaya. He took my 30,000 deposit to pay for a new bath, that had been pointed out to me was broken when we moved in. I know the main reason was that we took the house on a permament lease,and because my sis-in-law nearly got killed in a motor-bike accident outside the house,and was too scared to go back there, we gave the house back after a few months. Just goes to prove there are asreholes and asreholes from other sources than the Thai population.