Securing Network Drives On Xp

bdenner

At times I have a number of computers networked. One older machine runs the W2K (SP2) operating system and I’m able to secure the C Drive enabling that computers administrator to have sole access from newer machines running XP.

The older machine is located down stairs mainly for my daughters studies but her and her friends play games (of coarse) and they are becoming more inquisitive, I don’t want them getting into my other network drives accidentally if I forget to unplug. I guess I could allow her restricted access to her own machine by creating another ‘User’ but I don’t really want to do that.

Question:-

I still want to be able to have access to all network drives from any point (password protected). How do I configure the same security arrangement into the XP machines? The drive “Properties” window the “Make this folder private” tick box unusable (greyed out). Is it because they are formatted NTFS, thought I read this somewhere when trying to work my way thru the ‘Help’ routine looking at this subject?

unless yer using a domain server it would be quite difficult to set up with XP, it has nothing to do with NTFS :o

Having the route shared is a bad idea anyway, an easy trick to use is simply put a $ after shared folders names to make them invisible over the network, though someone with the folder name could still gain access I guess this wont be a prob in your case :D