Schengen Visa For Uk Student Visa Holder

Without wishing to tempt fate the ducks are now lining up ready for my gf's student visa to the UK. Since we would like to travel together to other EU countries, when she is here, how can she best go about securing a visitors visa so that we can travel in the EU.

It seems only Switzerland has no visa requirement, and that she will need a visa for all other EU countries. Is there an "ideal" country to apply to, by gut feel I think our first trip will be to France but really we could go anywhere. I understand that it is best to apply for the schengen visa before leaving Thailand, but would it be possible to have this processed in the UK?

Also do the application requirements differ between countries? What sort of info is typically requested?

She will be studying for a Bachelors degree at a UK university, with course fees and a "salary"/bursary of £7k per annum paid by my company.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated, and my fingers are firmly crossed that nothing goes wrong with her UK visa app.

Edited by Expat2B

Hi Expat2B,

The Schengen countries are governed by a common policy but, as usual, they seem to interpret it differently. I don't know if there is a "good" embassy at which to apply. I'd just go to the one for the country that you'll be visiting. As your g/f will be a temporary resident in the UK she should be able to apply at the appropriate embassy in London.

In general terms, at whichever country's embassy you apply they will want to see that your g/f will leave at the end of her visit. I would therefore provide evidence of her studies and bursary. Also make sure that when she applies she has a good 3/4 months left to run on her UK visa. Finally, a lot of European countries ask that visit visa applicants provide proof of medical insurance. I would think, however, that as she would be a bona fide student in the UK, there shouldn't be too much difficulty getting her a visit visa for a European country.

Best of luck,

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser