Some Attitudes Towards Red Shirts Shameful

webfact

http://thaipoliticalprisoners.files.wordpr...red-shirts2.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/n...=1&pid=9009

Typical YELLOW rich kid (and son of politician) in a spot car.

If only you could read Thai.

If you google his name, you will find that he ....

He is the grandson of Amnuay Wirawan who used to be with Chavalit Yongjaiyut, the present chairman of Pheua Thai and close ally of Thaksin.

Amnuay formed a party in the 1990s, an offshoot of Chavalit's New Aspiration Party but it failed.

Both Chavalit and Amnuay are super rich and surely qualify, along with Thaksin as ammart, or certainly elite.

Edited by Siripon

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://thaipoliticalprisoners.files.wordpr...red-shirts2.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/n...=1&pid=9009

Typical YELLOW rich kid (and son of politician) in a spot car.

If only you could read Thai.

If you google his name, you will find that he ....

I'll grant you that's amarttaya alright.

http://www.mof.go.th/mofleader/amnuay.html

Edited by lannarebirth

What does the ethnic factor, as you put it, have anything to do with this?

I assume, because I generally respect your insights, having asked the question you have now figured out the answer for yourself.If you really want me to spell it out I'm happy to.

I assume, because I generally respect your insights, having asked the question you have now figured out the answer for yourself.If you really want me to spell it out I'm happy to.

Thanks for the complement, but I don't think you will ever persuade me that the ethnic factor (Chinese) adds to a potentially dangerous clash. It is a gross generalization at best and racist at worst.

Tis a shameful attitude to have.

Especially as in ideological terms , abisit will be closer to the reds/UDD pro-democracy position than he is to the military junta contrived anti-democracy government , he has been installed leader of.

:) well said.

My god honey, the kids at the children's table are having a food fight!

And here we go again, repetitious discussion about the reds vs the yellows, both of whom have lots of baggage, good points and bad points and there are many Thais who don't necessarily support either group.

Please folks take your discussion up to the real issue right now - a gang of unsavoury murky frightening characters who are trying to generate all sorts of smokescreens over their real specific purpose: a pardon for a highly corrupt criminal and a return to a constitution which allows politicians to go back to raping the country.

I replied 'well said' to which comment i dont even remember now..hmmm..forgot to click 'quote'. sorry for confusion.

I say congrats to the government keeping things as peaceful as they have. In the United States this would have been broken up by tear gas and riot police once they started taking over bridges without permission or marching to disrupt traffic without the proper permits. Not to mention with all the threats leveled there would be a bunch of people in jail.

That is a good point. However, the people in Bangkok wont sit back and let the government do nothign for ever. At some point they will denmand their democratic rights to go about their business are protected. That is when things get difficult for Abhisit. Quite how difficult depends on whether the reds start to be seen as going too far by the majority

Don't forget however that the demonstrations have been generally peaceful and orderly reflecting well both on the reds and the government.

As a commentator elsewhere points out

"It's worth noting that, despite all the mainsteam media's scare-mongering that the Red hordes might unleash violence across Bangkok, so far the only recorded cases of politically motivated violence at protests have been a hi-so kid ramming his Daddy's Porsche into some Reds' parked motorcycles and the UDD-supporting motorcyclist attached by Pink shirts yesterday. Plus the ominous images (the Red shirt dangling from a tree; the sign with 1976 anti-communist, pro-monarchist lyrics on) apparently stemming from Pink shirts brimming with righteous indignation...Maybe the Pinks are finding it harder to control their anger because they're more used to having things their own way?"

So your trying to say the red shirst have no history of violence? Better check the history, it's full of incidents.

I say congrats to the government keeping things as peaceful as they have. In the United States this would have been broken up by tear gas and riot police once they started taking over bridges without permission or marching to disrupt traffic without the proper permits. Not to mention with all the threats leveled there would be a bunch of people in jail.

That is a good point. However, the people in Bangkok wont sit back and let the government do nothign for ever. At some point they will denmand their democratic rights to go about their business are protected. That is when things get difficult for Abhisit. Quite how difficult depends on whether the reds start to be seen as going too far by the majority

Don't forget however that the demonstrations have been generally peaceful and orderly reflecting well both on the reds and the government.

As a commentator elsewhere points out

"It's worth noting that, despite all the mainsteam media's scare-mongering that the Red hordes might unleash violence across Bangkok, so far the only recorded cases of politically motivated violence at protests have been a hi-so kid ramming his Daddy's Porsche into some Reds' parked motorcycles and the UDD-supporting motorcyclist attached by Pink shirts yesterday. Plus the ominous images (the Red shirt dangling from a tree; the sign with 1976 anti-communist, pro-monarchist lyrics on) apparently stemming from Pink shirts brimming with righteous indignation...Maybe the Pinks are finding it harder to control their anger because they're more used to having things their own way?"

So your trying to say the red shirst have no history of violence? Better check the history, it's full of incidents.

It is a tricky one for the Thaksin apologists to answer.

If they acknowledge that the reds were violent last Songkran then they would be accusing their hero Thaksin of lying since he has denied that it was the reds who were the violent ones.

And they are not going to do that.

Thaksin the liar is their main responsibility for defence.

The lie can stay.

poor puppet abisit must be eatin up inside because he cannot send in his blue shirts to antagonise the pro-democracy movement at their peaceful, lawful demonstrations.

He got away with it at pattaya and sonkran last year, his secret weapon, he knows how effective they were at the job.

One or two others here eatin up to , cause he hasn't sent in the blues.

If they acknowledge that the reds were violent last Songkran then they would be accusing their hero Thaksin of lying since he has denied that it was the reds who were the violent ones.

The lie can stay.

poor puppet abisit must be eatin up inside because he cannot send in his blue shirts to antagonise the pro-democracy movement at their peaceful, lawful demonstrations.

He got away with it at pattaya and sonkran last year, his secret weapon, he knows how effective they were at the job.

So there you have it.

One Thaksin apologist who follows the Thaksin lie.

100%

More a parrot than a puppet.

The lie can stay.

So there you have it.

100%

Just another poor attempt to wind up the REDS ( thats the Rural Electoral Democracy Supporters)

Just another Blue and Yellow sqwarker.icon6.gif

The lie can stay.

So there you have it.

100%

Just another poor attempt to wind up the REDS ( thats the Rural Electoral Democracy Supporters)

Just another Blue and Yellow sqwarker.icon6.gif

Yet again a failure to reply which is not particularly surprising.

Since what is being peddled here is an explicit replication of Thaksin's lie regarding the red violence last Songkran with no apologetics whatsoever

everything else opinionated from such a Red Thaksin apologist is equally of zero value.

Once caught in an open lie, their credibility lies in tatters on the floor.

Like now.

(ps sp squawk)

Edited by yoshiwara

During the airport occupation, the yellow shirts made no secret of their distaste for democracy. One after another, yellow shirts interviewed in the press, whether sympathetic to them or not, said that the common people could not be trusted to choose their own leaders.

Whether the elite and the army like it or not, the Thai people must be allowed to choose their own leaders. Despite his many, many, many, many faults, Thaksin was and is genuinely popular. He would win a free and fair election if held today. Abhisit could not, and did not.

Go you reds!

Well I must say '' the Red Shirt Brigade people are some little tinkers.''

They take their man pills each day and even have the strength and courage to tear up official documents because they

( the Red Shirt Brigade) are above the law and do not recognise it.

I do hope it's the same if they (the Red Shirt Brigade) achieve power then we can substitute DEMOCRACY with ANARCHY

Everybody then has complete freedom to do as they wish.

Thanks for the complement, but I don't think you will ever persuade me that the ethnic factor (Chinese) adds to a potentially dangerous clash. It is a gross generalization at best and racist at worst.

Yes it's a generalisation for which I make no apology.The reality is that the pink/yellow groupings are by and large of Chinese or part Chinese ethnicity.The red grouping by and large is not, though this is changing fast.Perhaps this undeniable reality does no more than reflect the nature of rural and urban Thailand.I agree it's uncertain how significant this division is but it's certainly a factor.At the PAD rallies in Bangkok as you know there was a very identifiable "sons of China" feel, along with some fairly unpleasant rhetoric directed at Thais of Lao and other non-Chinese origin.Personally I believe that assimilation in Thailand is a remarkable achievement, and doubt whether any of this will have a lasting effect.But to deny the division exists is perverse.And to suggest that someone who points these matters out might be "racist" is simply baffling.

Yes it's a generalisation for which I make no apology.The reality is that the pink/yellow groupings are by and large of Chinese or part Chinese ethnicity.The red grouping by and large is not, though this is changing fast.Perhaps this undeniable reality does no more than reflect the nature of rural and urban Thailand.I agree it's uncertain how significant this division is but it's certainly a factor.At the PAD rallies in Bangkok as you know there was a very identifiable "sons of China" feel, along with some fairly unpleasant rhetoric directed at Thais of Lao and other non-Chinese origin.Personally I believe that assimilation in Thailand is a remarkable achievement, and doubt whether any of this will have a lasting effect.But to deny the division exists is perverse.And to suggest that someone who points these matters out might be "racist" is simply baffling.

Isn't Thaksin part Chinese?

Although I think the ethnic issue is meaningless in these current political dynamics ... for the record I will quote from the Wiki .... :)

"Thaksin's great-great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu was a Hakka Chinese immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Sae Khu, was born in 1890 and married a Thai woman, Saeng Somna. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra ("does good routinely") in 1938, and the rest of the family followed suit."

Although I think the ethnic issue is meaningless in these current political dynamics ...

I assume that what you mean here is that you attribute little if any significance to it.That's a reasonable viewpoint though not one to which I fully subscribe.It can't by definition be meaningless when a group of largely one ethnicity is pitched against another group of largely one ethnicity.To use your expression in the current political dynamics it's a potentially complicating factor not a main driver.For this we should give credit where credit is due namely the orderly assimilation of different ethnic groups into the Thai family, with the glaring exception of course of the Southern Muslims.

Yes. So is Mark, Chuan, Banhan, Chatchai, Samak, Somchai, etc....

Even the man that I cannot name here is half Chinese.

The issue in Thailand is about the rich and the poor.

It has nothing about race at all.

Yes. So is Mark, Chuan, Banhan, Chatchai, Samak, Somchai, etc....

Even the man that I cannot name here is half Chinese.

The issue in Thailand is about the rich and the poor.

It has nothing about race at all.

Nothing at all except for the awkward fact that most of the rich are Chinese and most of the poorest are not.

Although I think the ethnic issue is meaningless in these current political dynamics ...

I assume that what you mean here is that you attribute little if any significance to it.That's a reasonable viewpoint though not one to which I fully subscribe.It can't by definition be meaningless when a group of largely one ethnicity is pitched against another group of largely one ethnicity.To use your expression in the current political dynamics it's a potentially complicating factor not a main driver.For this we should give credit where credit is due namely the orderly assimilation of different ethnic groups into the Thai family, with the glaring exception of course of the Southern Muslims.

Jayboy I agree completely with the part of your statement reading:

"For this we should give credit where credit is due namely the orderly assimilation of different ethnic groups into the Thai family .... "

However I disagree with the end of your statement ...... " ...with the glaring exception of course of the Southern Muslims." I believe this conflict to be based upon religious identities rather than ethnic identities. But please understand this is not my invitation to you to debate this issue with me here. This issues is off topic for this thread.

More importantly (and on topic) I disagree with you in my belief that the ethnic issues have "little if any significance" (meaningless) in these current political dynamics. Please note that I am not saying that ethnic issues are meaningless in Thai Society or Thai politics in general. And in that regard, we may be in agreement.

Perhaps you can find another individual here who actually thinks ethnicity is a significant factor in this present political situation who will carry on this discussion with you.

they are thai...

do you think that the americans are british?

we all came from some origins, please don't start flaming the chinese decent now. by the way, the taiwanese (obviously), japanese, koreans, vietnamese, and even the laos are all chinese decent don't you think?