(night) Train From Bkk - Chiang Mai

Soulwy

I will be arriving in BKK on Friday the 2nd (tomorrow) and I really like to travel by train to Chiang Mai. I will land at 3pm.

Can I go to Hua Lamphong station and buy a ticket for the same day? Or do I need to buy a ticket 1 day before departure?

This time I don't want to fly and like to experience traveling by train. So fingers crossed.

And 2nd class isn't bad at all. :) If you're looking for an experience, taking the 2nd class sleeper cars is pretty cool. It's neat to see how they change the seats into beds, and you're more likely to meet some interesting people. I have never taken a 1st class private cabin, but I would guess that it wouldn't be nearly as unique as taking the 2nd class. Either way, have fun!

And 2nd class isn't bad at all. :) If you're looking for an experience, taking the 2nd class sleeper cars is pretty cool. It's neat to see how they change the seats into beds, and you're more likely to meet some interesting people. I have never taken a 1st class private cabin, but I would guess that it wouldn't be nearly as unique as taking the 2nd class. Either way, have fun!

I've traveled first & second class and second is by far more enjoyable.you meet many nice people and as in my case fast friends. :D

I have never seen a cabin for one. They are all doubles. So, unless you have a traveling companion, you will have to share with a stranger. Also, April is Songkran month. I could not get any 1st class sleeper space for the whole month (April) from KK to BKK & return. Good luck.

Ah, ok.

I just read this:

"Bangkok's main Hualamphong Station has a well-organised reservation office, open daily 08:00-16:00. "

"Bangkok also has a normal ticket office, open at all other times."

When I land at 3pm I can never be at the Hualamphong station at 4pm. But I guess I can buy the ticket at the normal ticket office. Questionmark.

Edited by Soulwy

You should be able to buy a ticket when you arrive. I believe that there is an "Advance Reservation" ticket office that closes at 4:00. But the regular windows are open til late, and you can buy a ticket there. I have even used the regular windows to make bookings for way in advance when I went in the evening after the reservation office closed.

I second that - try to get a lower bunk. Not only are the top ones harder to get in and out of in the middle of the night, but they're also smaller.

A lower is pretty noisy because you sleep next to a more or less open window, you're glad when you brought earplugs, but is less hot, even cold and the bed is about 20cm wider.

An upper has less noise, is more hot and you need to be physically able to do the climb, if you're sleepy you might get your hair stucked in the ventilator :D

1st class s*cks, gives a very locked up and abandoned feeling and you will have to inhalate the farts of your cabin mate, bigger chance of lugguage theft when you leave for a walk. 3rd class is torture for your back and ears you will feel broken for 3 days.

Don't order a meal from your seat, instead take the interesting jungle walk to the restaurant (usually the second car in front) thats a real funky place to spend an hour or all nite, for the first time it will be a remarkable experience. Food is aroi and mai peng, sometimes the restaurant turnes into a karaoke party. (but a while ago they reduced the noise of the music due to complaints)

It gives me a kick to take a shaky shower in the early hours, you arrive completely fresh ! Look for the showerroom usually opposite a toilet. Check if there is enough water before you soap yourself :)

Edited by ManilaLover

Manilalover..haha..farts (especially) of a stranger are the worst. And everything you wrote about the 2nd class aircon is true. I had no idea there was a shower though...

I arrived at 5pm and wasn't able to buy a ticket for a 1st class sleeper or a 2nd class lower bunk for the 18:10 or 19.35. So I had the upper bunk 2nd class sleeper. I chickened a bit...

but I survived. I had a good sleep, yes, it is smaller then the lower and there is no window. But the matrass was soft, and the noise is less. I think I was lucky it wasn't hot yesterday.

Normally I take domestic flights from BKK, but I really enjoyed the train ride.

People are nice and quiet and it was well organised. The traveling was very easy going.

I met this wonderful fellowtraveller, Nui, who went to her family in Chiang Mai. We chatted for quite awile.This wouldn't have happened with a 1 hour flight.

What I also liked was to see the nature during the ride (sunrise between mountains!) and being able to transfer from one place to an other in a slow pace.

Overall: it was a great experience and I definitely don't hate it!

Guys, thanks for posting!

You don't open the window in the aircon cars ManilaLover. And yes, train travel is nice if you want to see the country side and meet new people.

I'm talking about the 2nd class without aircon. Indeed there is also a second class with aircon, but will not recommend that one.

When walking through that car on the way to the restaurant I see only bored, freezing and unhappy looking people.

2nd class no aircon is the real fun ! :)

237418818_04b9e1d96a.jpg

Keep looking to this pic for a minute while listening to Bangkok station sound and you have an idea of the Amazing Thai Rail Experience :D

(click this link by pressing the mousewheel)

Edited by ManilaLover

This time of year aircon is the way to go. Just bring a light jacket or shawl and you'll be fine. Yes, 2nd class is definitely more fun. The only time I've taken 1st class was when traveling with Hubby and we took turns watching the luggage. I can't imagine sharing the 1st class cell with a stranger.

2nd class lower is definitely more comfy than the upper. Just bring earplugs for the track noise. They don't turn off the lights in the car, and I find it impossible to block out the light while in the upper bunk. It's dark enough in the lower bunk.

The food menu, quality and price is the same in the "restaurant" car vs. having it delivered to your seat. Only benefit in going to the "restaurant" car is to party. It's fun if that's what you'd like to do, but don't go there expecting an upgrade in the food. Last trip I went to the "restaurant" car by myself while Hubby retired early. Boy, the staff loves to gossip. Before I got up, they had told Hubby about all my activities in the "restaurant" car, including which songs I sang during the karaoke. No secrets on the train!

Last month we went from BKK to CM, buying our tickets just a day in advance. Our car was about half full and the trip was very pleasant. Other 2nd class aircon cars were full to the max. I wonder if they decided to add a car at the last minute which is how we lucked out with the half full car? Maybe there's some advantage in buying tickets at the last minute.

Manilalover, cool sound... What I liked about the station is that no-one was rushed, and people were so civilized. Sitting on the floor (not me btw) like 1 big family waiting for the train to come.

I can't imagine sharing the 1st class cell with a stranger.. (good to knowww.)

Boy, the staff loves to gossip. Before I got up, they had told Hubby about all my activities in the "restaurant" car, including which songs I sang during the karaoke. No secrets on the train!

:)

Edited by Soulwy