Hanging Out Your Meat

Hikage

When I see the Issan eateries on the street they hang the beef proudly out on display in the hot sun with flies crawling all over it. Question... has this meat been specially cured in some way that it won't be loaded with bacteria by the time it reaches my plate? I don't believe the cooking process is gonna kill all this bacteria. Why hang it out, why not put it on ice or in a fridge? Please set me straight.

Secondly, I see them handling filthy things like money old rags etc and then go and scoop out sticky rice with their bare hands. I don't know, I'd prefer they use a spoon or somat. I guess most Issan eateries are like this....? Does it bother anyone else? Just the sight of it kind of puts me off my food.

p.s. whats the name of the beef ("neu" right?) cut into small strips and served with that hot sauce? Last time I tried to get it she gave me minced beef with all sorts of unspeakables lurking within.

Thanks

I like the your thread title.

Just had to read this to find out which subject was up for discussion.

Sorry its about food but never mind.

I have eaten in places similar to your discription but have never suffered any ill after effects.

The mystery dish might be 'seua long hai' or 'nam tok' if the sauce comes with the meat or 'neua yung' if the sauce is served separate.

The reason to hang out the meat instead of placing it on ice is because it will taste better - a practice more Thais would do well to understand, because sub-standard, stringy beef is what you get in most places.

As far as the bacteria are concerned, I don't know. It sure does not seem very hygienical.

I have worked in Meat packing plants in the US for many many years and if you bring ANY meat to a high enough Temp during the cooking process it will kill ANYTHING. I know this because we took all the "Questionable" Product cooked the stuff at a super high temp then Made chili bricks out of it.

Edited by kid

It's interesting when people see Thai markets and can't imagine how people could eat some of the meat. Where they think the hotels buy their meat from is beyond me.

FYI, the latest news from the environmental health in the UK is that it's ok to use wooden chopping boards again - it seems that bacteria can't survive in drying wood.

Funny how things go the full circle - I guess people got by ok before food regs.

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

great pic, bkkmadness!

finally I know how to hunt crocodiles your style :-)

btw, even looking how "kitchen of the world" operates make my stomach "kaput".

does it mean they have no f*** idea about deseases and poisonings?

Hanging beef allows the meat to go through rigor mortis.

Hanging in the sun however may possibly be to dry the beef, up2u :D

Onto the cooking side of things, as long as the internal temperature of the meat has reached at least 70 degress c then you shouldn't have any problems as 'most' bacteria will die at this temperature.

Shame I've never seen any food thermometers being used in LOS though :o , but then again I've never had a serious case of gut rot, so they must be doing something right :D

• 2 weeks later...

At first I was a little sceptical but I have been doing all of my shopping at markets and find the quality much higher than TESCO's and such which sell mass produced food. Now I find TESCO's discusting when I see half a ton of chicken in one bin.

I have never had any illness from any meat I have bought at a market. My wife hangs the beef in the sun for a full day. Nua Dadaeo is one of our favorite dished.

Beef_Jerky.jpg

beef_store1.jpg

When I see the Issan eateries on the street they hang the beef proudly out on display in the hot sun with flies crawling all over it. Question... has this meat been specially cured in some way that it won't be loaded with bacteria by the time it reaches my plate? I don't believe the cooking process is gonna kill all this bacteria. Why hang it out, why not put it on ice or in a fridge? Please set me straight.

Secondly, I see them handling filthy things like money old rags etc and then go and scoop out sticky rice with their bare hands. I don't know, I'd prefer they use a spoon or somat. I guess most Issan eateries are like this....? Does it bother anyone else? Just the sight of it kind of puts me off my food.

p.s. whats the name of the beef ("neu" right?) cut into small strips and served with that hot sauce? Last time I tried to get it she gave me minced beef with all sorts of unspeakables lurking within.

Thanks

i thought i was the only one minding the ways of the eateries here.......

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. there will be shitloads of bacteria, and the fact that they are allowed to multiply in their absolutely ideal conditions for a few days, will do you no favors....

however, be it the chillies or the totally accustomed stomachs around here, the Thais do seem to have less than their fair share of food poisonings and the such....

cooking at high temps will get rid of most bugs as other posters have indicated, HOWEVER, its not just the temp that matters is the time AT this temp (basic idea behind the processing involved in UHT treatment, pasteurisations, canning etc)...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i draw the line however when they reduce the amount of meat in my noodles cause the ants in the soup compensate for it................ :o

be well

costas

cooking at high temps will get rid of most bugs as other posters have indicated, HOWEVER, its not just the temp that matters is the time AT this temp (basic idea behind the processing involved in UHT treatment, pasteurisations, canning etc)...

I also heard that cooking may kill the bacteria in the food, but often the poisons they secrete remain in the food and can still upset your stomach.

... what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger ...

Those chunks of lamb the Greeks carve on all day to make those Gyros, they're obviously already cured because there's no additional heating / cooking involved, but still makes you wonder .. :o

Those chunks of lamb the Greeks carve on all day to make those Gyros, they're obviously already cured because there's no additional heating / cooking involved, but still makes you wonder ..  :D

cured, yes sure they are :o:D

they taste bl@@dy good though , dont they :D

I MISS GYROS :D

Those chunks of lamb the Greeks carve on all day to make those Gyros, they're obviously already cured because there's no additional heating / cooking involved, but still makes you wonder ..  :D

With lots and lots of Tsatsiki (spelling) Sauce on

:D

Mr BoJ

:D

Mr BoJ

we spell it tzatziki,

but MrBoj i am salivating regardless of the spelling :D:D:D

cured, yes sure they are

they taste bl@@dy good though , dont they

Mr BoJ

we spell it tzatziki,

Thanks for the spelling correction Costas, i wasn't far off eh? What's the name of those other kind, similar to Gyros. Is it Souvlaki (open to spelling correction again). They are absolutely Toptastic

:D Now my mouth is watering :o:D

mr BoJ

cured, yes sure they are

they taste bl@@dy good though , dont they

Mr BoJ

we spell it tzatziki,

Thanks for the spelling correction Costas, i wasn't far off eh? What's the name of those other kind, similar to Gyros. Is it Souvlaki (open to spelling correction again). They are absolutely Toptastic

:D Now my mouth is watering :o:D

mr BoJ

no corrections required Sir,

i hear you can find souvlaki in Bkk but being 550km away i never had the chance!

off to eat nam tok with fried bread and yoghurt and pretend i am having souvlaki...

:D:D