Mobile Internet Providers

steve73

I will take a good look through this forum for previously posted topics, but I'll still ask the question here, and for other AIS users beware, as I found to my cost....

I just got screwed by AIS....

As I don't have a landline, and live about 2km from the nearest connection which means a 20k bt connection fee, I use AIS mobile internet. It's not particularly quick; OK for normal surfin', but certainly no good for streaming video or bit torrents.

Anyway, I use the 350bt per month for upto 100 hours (use them of loose them), but yesterday I used up all my hours. Problem is AIS didn't tell me, so I just defaulted on to the "normal" ad-hoc surfin cost of 2 bt/ minute. And used over 450 bt (which I'd only just put in for my automatic monthly renewal due today). I tried calling their service desk, but they wouldn't recredit me......BASTARDS..!

They suggested I take their new 500bt for 250 hour package (with apparrently no time limit), so I agreed. I put 500 credit on the phone, and they immediately deducted 350 for the old package. Called again and they said too late -they cannot change it....DOUBLE BASTARDS...!!!

So my question is, what other mobile internet options are available in Thailand, and how good are they - any comments please.

Alternatives or not, if any of you are using AIS beware of the robbing bastards dirty ricks....

Rant over...

Happened to me before, very annoying. I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if DTAC didn't do the same thing. It's not malice - as far as I can tell - they just don't have the capacity to warn you that you're running out of minutes. So I mitigated the risk by only filling my phone with 200 baht at a time, then I'd run out of money quickly and not lose too much.

What you can do is dial *139# before going online, it will tell you how many GPRS minutes you have remaining. Its a nice service message like when you top up the phone, no need to call and listen to the menu etc.

I've now switched to True iPhone plan for 599 unlimited internet + 300 sms + 300 minutes. Going to be cheaper than AIS prepaid. I think this plan is only for iPhones bought at True though. Not sure.

Thanks nikster,

the *139# is useful to know...

I assume the iphone deal is per month, and that they're local (i.e. Thai minutes), to just true network numbers or to any network.

I'm pretty sure I dont get a reliable True coverage where I am, or at least I didn't a few years ago. I'll try again.

AIS are not " Ripping you off " as you shout ! They are doing exactly what every network here and back in the UK does. If you go over your minutes you pay the standard rate per minute which with AIS is 1 baht per minute. Nearly every mobile dongle comes with the software to monitor your usage. You simply tell it how many minutes you have bought and to disconnect when it reaches that limit. I have used AIS for over 7 years and any problem I have had they have sorted out very quickly. I have received far better service here than I ever did from the network providers back in the UK.

*777 also lists the promotions available at the time of calling and as already said it is very easy to check how many minutes you have left.

Have a look at the software you are using. The dongle I use gives excellent download speeds, even for torrents.