April Arrivals Down But Rate Of Decline Slows

george

April arrivals down but rate of decline slows

BANGKOK: -- Foreign tourist arrivals at Bangkok International Airport fell by 3.7% in April from the year before, a signal that the industry has yet to fully recover from the impact of the Dec 26 tsunami.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, April arrivals at Don Muang totalled 590,000, or down 3.7% from last year.

But Finance Ministry officials say that the April figures show some cause for optimism, as the rate of decline had slowed from that of previous months.

In January, arrivals at Don Muang airport totalled 640,000, or 18% lower than the year before, while February arrivals were up 7% year-on-year to. March arrivals showed strong growth, at 680,000, or 17% higher than last year.

But uncertainties in the southern border provinces, particularly following the bomb blast at the Hat Yai airport on April 3, stalled the recovery in the tourism sector, raising concerns among economic policymakers.

Somchai Sujjapongse, deputy director-general of the Fiscal Policy Office, said the ministry would revise downward its economic projections for the year on Monday to reflect the latest data.

The ministry had previously estimated growth of 6% this year, but this is likely to be cut up to a full percentage point due to the impact of soaring oil prices and the decline in tourism receipts.

Authorities are also likely to increase their estimates for the trade deficit this year, previously forecast at $1.6 billion. The Customs Department announced earlier this week that the April deficit alone totalled $1.55 billion, adding to a deficit of $3.22 billion in the first quarter of the year.

Ministry sources said the new forecast would be based on an average Dubai oil price estimate of $42 to the barrel for the year, up $4 from previous forecasts. The new projections would also take into account slower economic growth among major trading partners _ first quarter growth for South Korea, previously estimated at 4-5%, was actually just 2.7%, while Taiwan posted growth of just 2.5% compared with previous estimates of 3%.

--Bangkok Post 2005-05-28

its takes few years to recovering from tsunami, of course the bombings in 3 southern most province. I my self living here already but I am afraid to go to southern, how much more for the first time tourist. but I hope it will be fine in the future. :o and Southern province may back from normal condition.

BANGKOK: -- Foreign tourist arrivals at Bangkok International Airport fell by 3.7% in April from the year before, a signal that the industry has yet to fully recover from the impact of the Dec 26 tsunami.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, April arrivals at Don Muang totalled 590,000, or down 3.7% from last year.

But Finance Ministry officials say that the April figures show some cause for optimism, as the rate of decline had slowed from that of previous months.

In January, arrivals at Don Muang airport totalled 640,000, or 18% lower than the year before, while February arrivals were up 7% year-on-year to. March arrivals showed strong growth, at 680,000, or 17% higher than last year.

But uncertainties in the southern border provinces, particularly following the bomb blast at the Hat Yai airport on April 3, stalled the recovery in the tourism sector, raising concerns among economic policymakers.

Somchai Sujjapongse, deputy director-general of the Fiscal Policy Office, said the ministry would revise downward its economic projections for the year on Monday to reflect the latest data.

The ministry had previously estimated growth of 6% this year, but this is likely to be cut up to a full percentage point due to the impact of soaring oil prices and the decline in tourism receipts.

Authorities are also likely to increase their estimates for the trade deficit this year, previously forecast at $1.6 billion. The Customs Department announced earlier this week that the April deficit alone totalled $1.55 billion, adding to a deficit of $3.22 billion in the first quarter of the year.

Ministry sources said the new forecast would be based on an average Dubai oil price estimate of $42 to the barrel for the year, up $4 from previous forecasts. The new projections would also take into account slower economic growth among major trading partners _ first quarter growth for South Korea, previously estimated at 4-5%, was actually just 2.7%, while Taiwan posted growth of just 2.5% compared with previous estimates of 3%.

--Bangkok Post 2005-05-28

George from an Australian point of view the fuel crisis(high prices) is affecting every aspect of living here and l think people just haven't got the same dollars to travel at the moment,I'm in Car Sales and I can tell you business is down by some 60% since last christmas and I know other business are suffering so other countries would be feeling the pinch to and that wouldn't be helping tourism in Thailand. I do love the place.

After a dip in January, but steady growth in February, then strong growth in March, it would be hard to put a slump in April down to the tsunami in Dec. Either the figures are rather meaningless or there is a strange delay phenomenon going on here. :o

Any ideas on what's behind these stats? :D

""""But Finance Ministry officials say that the April figures show some cause for optimism, as the rate of decline had slowed from that of previous months.""""

January - 18%

February + 7%

March + 17%

April - 3.7%

I do not see a rate of decline in the months of February or March, and so therefore no slowing in the rate of decline.

The government here needs to form a Ministry of Silence. Its job would be to review everything to be written or spoken by a government official prior to it being presented to the general public.

""""But Finance Ministry officials say that the April figures show some cause for optimism, as the rate of decline had slowed from that of previous months.""""

January  - 18%

February +  7%

March    + 17%

April      - 3.7%

I do not see a rate of decline in the months of February or March, and so therefore no slowing in the rate of decline.

The government here needs to form a Ministry of Silence.  Its job would be to review everything to be written or spoken by a government official prior to it being presented to the general public.

One can only assume that no matter how big the disaster or how bad the figures look, there is always "some cause for optimism" if you are a govt. official. To say anything else is more than your job's worth. :D:o