Amazing Thailand

Tiger7Moth

1) National Counter Corruption Commission - "suspended jail terms for awarding themselves a pay rise"

2) Miss Universe Costume competition - Thailand awarded 1st prize. 2 Thai ladies that I know were appalled that Thailand won. Both looked at the Thia lady and her costume, made faces and said, "mai suay".

3) Airport corruption and delays - denial, denial, denial

4) 4th consecutive month of foreign trade deficit (many negative firsts since 1997) - attitude of "everything will be OK with recovery in latter part of the year".

5) Major infrastucture projects expected to fuel Thailand economy over the next 10 years. Small mention that delays may be necessary due to lack of funding. No mention of the potential impact.

Just some of the very recent events in Thailand that make me wonder about the future of Thailand.

I should add that I have been living here for 18 months on US retirement income and my lifestyle is fabulous compared to what it would be in the US and I am definitely here for the long term.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry. Your American dollar can anly get you more baht and improve your lifestyle. Thailand will be OK.

Since the baht to the dollar is 40.3 today, I wire transfered $14,000 USD to my Siam bank account. The baht I have been spending was exchanged at 41.6 baht to a dollar but unfortunately it is nearly gone. I'm satisfied to get over 40 to a dollar. :o

1) National Counter Corruption Commission - "suspended jail terms for awarding themselves a pay rise"

2) Miss Universe Costume competition - Thailand awarded 1st prize.  2 Thai ladies that I know were appalled that Thailand won.  Both looked at the Thia lady and her costume, made faces and said, "mai suay".

4) 4th consecutive month of foreign trade deficit (many negative firsts since 1997) - attitude of "everything will be OK with recovery in latter part of the year".

5) Major infrastucture projects expected to fuel Thailand economy over the next 10 years.  Small mention that delays may be necessary due to lack of funding.  No mention of the potential impact.

Just some of the very recent events in Thailand that make me wonder about the future of Thailand.

I should add that I have been living here for 18 months on US retirement income and my lifestyle is fabulous compared to what it would be in the US and I am definitely here for the long term.

And it's different anywhere else in the world? I don't think so

2) Miss Universe Costume competition - Thailand awarded 1st prize.  2 Thai ladies that I know were appalled that Thailand won.  Both looked at the Thia lady and her costume, made faces and said, "mai suay".

5) Major infrastucture projects expected to fuel Thailand economy over the next 10 years.  Small mention that delays may be necessary due to lack of funding.  No mention of the potential impact.

All that said, I still would choose to live in thailand and get more from life! :o

I tend to agree with you except for the matter of degree. It seems a bit over the top here in Thailand.

I tend to agree with you except for the matter of degree. It seems a bit over the top here in Thailand.

sure is! still gotta love the place tho! :o

Since the baht to the dollar is 40.3 today, I wire transfered $14,000 USD to my Siam bank account. The baht I have been spending was exchanged at 41.6 baht to a dollar but unfortunately it is nearly gone. I'm satisfied to get over 40 to a dollar

Shit, I transferred 12,000 pounds two weeks ago, only borrowed money. Don't tell me that the rate has gone up, I have to give it back in a couple of months. I hope the baht can last that long before it crashes again, like 97, worse I have heard some say at the end of the year. :o

:o