Thai Police Chief Admits Inadequate Security Measures

webfact

Police Chief Admits Inadequate Security Measures

BANGKOK: -- The acting national police chief has admitted that law enforcement lacks resources to oversee general security adequately. Meanwhile, he has refrained from saying whether the situation will deteriorate.

Acting National Police Chief, Police General Pateep Tanprasert, has expressed confidence that the police force is effective in providing security around the red-shirt rally, as all involved agencies have cooperated with it.

However, the police chief said he cannot say whether the rally will last until the Songkran holidays, or whether any violent incident will occur, as it did last April.

However, Police General Pateep expressed concern about the current string of grenade attacks in the country. He said the police force lacks resources to provide security for all areas, despite the patrol units.

Regarding the ongoing investigation of the recent grenade attacks, Police General Pateep expressed confidence that those behind the attacks will be brought to justice, but he refused to give a definite time frame.

The police chief claimed the investigation has made much progress, but he did not give any details.

He also said the commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau will not yet face disciplinary action for failing to curb the attacks, claiming the current attacks are different from other cases and the investigation will need some time.

The police chief also talked about the National Police Commission's decision to reinstate the Commander of the Region 4 Provincial Police Bureau, Police Lieutenant General Suchart Muenkaew, and the Commander of the Udon Thani Provincial Police Bureau, Police Major General Permsak Paradonsak, saying vacant positions are being sought for them.

Police Lieutenant General Suchart was suspended from duty for failing to prevent chaos during the police crackdown on the People's Alliance for Democracy protest at Parliament on October 7, 2008 while Police Major General Permsak was suspended for failing to prevent clashes between the red and yellow-shirt groups in Udon Thani.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-04-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If the police don't act they get slated, if they do act they get slated and suspended. The lesser of two evils is to do nothing.

One of the problems in Thailand is that the police are incompetent when it comes to dealing with civil disturbances.

That's why the army is always involved, and that's the reason why the police remain incompetent.

If the police don't act they get slated, if they do act they get slated and suspended. The lesser of two evils is to do nothing.

One of the problems in Thailand is that the police are incompetent when it comes to dealing with civil disturbances.

That's why the army is always involved, and that's the reason why the police remain incompetent.

Incompetent police is same as having leaches around. Just get rid of them and use military police instead. Thai will serve every one. And let’s face it Thailand is not a democracy anyway it is a military Government

It is unfair to say they are incompetent when it comes to dealing with civil disturbances Peter, they are incompetent at everything they do :)

I am an ex UK policeman and it never ceases to amaze me how poor the whole legal system is here, from the police through to the courts

Maybe if Taksin allocated each of the redshirts a tea-money per diem the cops could shake them down for it and all will be happy.

The demonstrations must be rough on the cops' personal finances.

If the police general is complaining about lack of resources to provide security to more areas why doesn't he pull the police from Silom who are aiding the taxi mafia around Pat Pong who set up a check point and don't let non mafia taxi pass and the police who are closing down bars at 1:00 a.m. and have them actually do something beneficial?

Ohhh all the armchair critics are at it again.....of course if you total up their combined policing experience you still get zero, yet so many of them know the all of everything. :)

Edited by neverdie

It is unfair to say they are incompetent when it comes to dealing with civil disturbances Peter, they are incompetent at everything they do :D

I am an ex UK policeman and it never ceases to amaze me how poor the whole legal system is here, from the police through to the courts

:)

The legal system here is weak because of the corruption. The corruption is rife because (besides it being ingrained from birth) the wages are too low. It's basically a volunteer police force, and they make their wages through corruption.

The problem is - how to fix it?

It is unfair to say they are incompetent when it comes to dealing with civil disturbances Peter, they are incompetent at everything they do :D

The legal system here is weak because of the corruption. The corruption is rife because (besides it being ingrained from birth) the wages are too low. It's basically a volunteer police force, and they make their wages through corruption.

How to fix it ?

Pay them better ... Simple :D

How to fix it ?

That's a start ... but rich people are corrupt, so that wouldn't make a difference in itself.

How to fix it ?

That's a start ... but rich people are corrupt, so that wouldn't make a difference in itself.

Corruption in Thailand is like prostitution , no moral stigma attached , its perfectly alright

, the end justifies the means ... that kind of thing if you will .

Its the whole mindset of the people that need to be changed , probably thru education

A somewhat worrying statement on the eve of a major poltical rally and while counter demos are starting to be organised albeit small ones as of now.

Thailand is bad but if i can offer some soothers , President Macapagal Aroyo

nickname in the Philippines

is Miss10% . She gets a cut on every major governement deal .

Guess how much ? :)

Incompetent police is same as having leaches around. Just get rid of them and use military police instead. Thai will serve every one. And let's face it Thailand is not a democracy anyway it is a military Government

Burma is a military Government, so is North Korea.... most Farangs would not be here if this were the case...you obviously do not know what you are talking about...are you Australian or have you ever been there, its more a police state than anywhere I have ever been... certainly including Thailand.. We are here because Thailand is so very free and easy...You don`t know what a military government is mate.....Pass another Chang.

It is unfair to say they are incompetent when it comes to dealing with civil disturbances Peter, they are incompetent at everything they do :)

And you tell people... Shuuuu... pass another Chang

Corruption in Thailand is like prostitution , no moral stigma attached , its perfectly alright

, the end justifies the means ... that kind of thing if you will .

Its the whole mindset of the people that need to be changed , probably thru education

Mr. Nail, meet Mr. Hammer.

It will take years and years, generations at least to begin to undo the acceptance that corruption is "ok" as "it's the way we do things" every time my wife is stopped while driving and pays that 100 baht "fine" I tell her she is part of the problem, but to her its a small price to pay get to on with her day and not get bogged down... as long as so many Thai's see it that way it simply will never change. Nor will just raising the salary of the police officers

Ohhh all the armchair critics are at it again.....of course if you total up their combined policing experience you still get zero, yet so many of them know the all of everything. :)

Feel free to test me any time

OK Tony.

Repeat this is an authoritative voice.

" 'Ello, 'ello, 'ello. What's going on here then? "

:D

Feel free to test me any time

Writeo Tony, so your the in-house corruption expert are you? :D

In a society so ripe with corruption, where would you start to weed it out and what systems would you put in place to ensure a smooth transition into the new regime?

Your not going to destroy all the kickbacks I hope :D

Edited by neverdie

you could start with what the NSW police did. A nice new, but common, vehicle fitted with mikes and cameras, and quietly but obviously breaking road rules.

along comes the law, puts out his hand, and bingo - you're fired with complete loss of benefits or face court.

various other versions also used, with caught cops being used to gather evidence on their mates. not 100% effective, but bloody good watching on TV.

It is a royalty effect. Taksin is an EX-Police officer and a very high ranking one. Reds love police but dislike army. Two of my nephews are police officers and we disagree with each others all the time.. They don't like to enforce the laws on the criminals because they are afraid of bad reputation and if anything happen in negative way, the bosses may not be promoted to the higher levels ( with higher pay).

you could start with what the NSW police did. A nice new, but common, vehicle fitted with mikes and cameras, and quietly but obviously breaking road rules.

along comes the law, puts out his hand, and bingo - you're fired with complete loss of benefits or face court.

various other versions also used, with caught cops being used to gather evidence on their mates. not 100% effective, but bloody good watching on TV.

Are you suggesting that these police had cameras and mikes secretely wired up to their police vehicles just so their department could try and catch them out taking bribes? :) I don't believe it.